My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i want to put power steering on my 444 for the loader got all the steering parts off a cub cadet 1862 now its time to put everything together. i want to use the case factory pump to drive the power steering system. i thought to myself i could just hook it up to where the lines plug into for a rear three point hitch valve and cyclinder. so my question is were do i hook my supply line to on the travel and lift valve, and were is a good spot to plug the return line into??

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Dave, you only need one more component, a priority valve, as the little cub steering valve isn't rated to handle 6+gpm that the Case's pump can put out. Once you get one then you can tie into the HP line any place you like, and return the oil just before the filter.
Also, if the steering valve has threaded ports on it , your fine, if it has bolted flanges holding the lines on.... Well you may need to address this, as 2200 psi will blow those lines right off, or at the least blow out the o-rings.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
as mentioned, you will need a priority valve to direct a portion of the pump's output to the steering. Probably about 2-3 GPM. It should also include a relief valve for the priority port to reduce the max to the 500psi or so that the steering is rated to handle, you need to check that figure to be sure.

Be advised that the redirected pump flow, will reduce the max speed of the tractor. Most Case/Ingersoll pumps run in the 8-8.5gpm range. The steering, if it uses 2gpm will reduce the amount available to run the tractor (and rear PTO if you have one) by around 25%. So the 3.7MPH low range becomes about 2.7, and the 7.7 high range, 5.5. If the steering needs more, the tractor needs less.

That's why case used dual pumps or a larger single pump on their power steering tractors.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
its got threaded ports and what about the flow divider and a tee fitting right off the pump??
Threaded ports don't really matter if you use the priority valve w/relief valve as the steering shouldn't ever see more than the relief setting. You don't need a tee, as that is the function of the priority valve, split the flow to the travel valve and steering. Between the factory valve and pump is the correct place.

You can go to the Ingersoll site and look up the parts list and drawing for an Ingersoll PS tractor. That will tell you everything about the layout.

Just be aware of the speed reduction mentioned earlier

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Not to worry,you can use up to 1000 psi for the steering , what you can do is plumb in the priority valve right at the pump, so it's first in line, it can not be tee'd into, it needs to be in series.This way you will always have p/s. If you have issue with travel speed, you could plumb it in after the travel circuit , but then it might not have priority and if you had the drive blow off the relief you might loose p/s ,but I really doubt it, because of the way the Case system works, you would be fine.
Now if your steering valve has 5 ports instead of 4 this opens up an entirely different world of possibilities ;)
Just remember, what ever you do make sure that your return line from the steering valve is returned to the tank just beforre the filter, you do not want this line anywhere else as it could feede back pressure and this would destroy the steering valve seals and delicate valving inside it.;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
when we say Priority valve do we mean flow divider?? and the steering vlave i have is a 5 port valve but wont need the power beyond is it ok to cap this port and plumb my hp to the in side and return to tank on the out side??

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I don't think you can block that port because it has porting exclusive to allow oil flow to pass straight through while your using oil to steer with, so it would need to return to tank with the return port .
something like this will work.
https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-4158-2&catname=hydraulic
this will all work fine at the end of the line, and that p/b on the steering valve gives you a few more options later on ;)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
when we say Priority valve do we mean flow divider?? and the steering vlave i have is a 5 port valve but wont need the power beyond is it ok to cap this port and plumb my hp to the in side and return to tank on the out side??
Flow divider just spilts the total flow by some ration 10/90 , 50/50 etc.

A priority valve sends a fixed portion, 2,4etc gpm to the priority port and whatever is left over to the other. So, you always have steering even at low engine speeds (low flow rate), but at the expense of travel and rear PTO functions. NO free lunch!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts