My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to replace the ammeter. The hole is easy enough to see but getting to the under side to attach wires and tighten the mounting bracket is not possible. I cannot find any access to it other than removing the oil tank. Tell me there is an easier way.
I think before I would do that I would mount a bezel of some type on the surface with a couple small screws to hold the it in place.
Thanks,
Randy

·
Registered
149 Posts
rwairforce,

You have to take out the tank. I am no mechanic but have recently done this job myself without a problem (1980 446). I have to admit it is comforting to know I can run to the laptop and post a question here if I run into trouble. there are always guys ready to help. It is a good time to change out your hydrualic fluid since pulling the tank will will require it to be drained, unless you can plug it. It really is an easy job. :bananapow

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
You can pull the plate between the oil tank and engine and move the tank forward a little. You can do the job, but there is still not a lot of room in there. I just went through the same thing a couple of months ago when I had to rewire my 446.

·
HeadCase For My Ingersoll
1,359 Posts
Just be glad you don't have an Onan-powered Case. Oh dear sweet Jesus is that even more fun than the Kohler-powered.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Classicmotion.....your comment is classis!
I too am glad I don't own an Onan powered Case but if I did and it worked I would be happy. I've heard those Onan twins run and they sound cool.

I had the plate off between the engine and tank but still couldn't get to where I needed to be in order to put the retainer on the bottom of the gage.
I ran a small screw through the outter edge of the gage and it provided enough jam resistance between the hole edge and the gage lip to hold it pretty tight. This way I can replace it without removing the tank if need be.
It's much easier to fix tractors when you look at them as a tractor for work and not a tractor for show. Nothing wrong with a pretty tractor but that's not my goal. Clean and functional, yes but picture perfect,,,nah, it will out last me as it is.

GoldenCove---I couldn't agree with you more. This Forum has allowed me to try things I wouldn't do on my own. Thanks to you all!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.