My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to replace the ammeter. The hole is easy enough to see but getting to the under side to attach wires and tighten the mounting bracket is not possible. I cannot find any access to it other than removing the oil tank. Tell me there is an easier way.
I think before I would do that I would mount a bezel of some type on the surface with a couple small screws to hold the it in place.
Thanks,
Randy

·
Registered
786 Posts
Yea, you have to remove the oil tank. You could hook the wire to it and then fish them out to where they need to be. It would be loose, but at least it wouldnt look bad.

·
Registered
149 Posts
rwairforce,

You have to take out the tank. I am no mechanic but have recently done this job myself without a problem (1980 446). I have to admit it is comforting to know I can run to the laptop and post a question here if I run into trouble. there are always guys ready to help. It is a good time to change out your hydrualic fluid since pulling the tank will will require it to be drained, unless you can plug it. It really is an easy job. :bananapow

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Hey guys, I am am assuming this is the same procedure for replacing the nuetral sefety switch too? I have that on my list of projects and its in the same general area as my ammeter.

·
HeadCase For My Ingersoll
1,359 Posts
Just be glad you don't have an Onan-powered Case. Oh dear sweet Jesus is that even more fun than the Kohler-powered.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Classicmotion.....your comment is classis!
I too am glad I don't own an Onan powered Case but if I did and it worked I would be happy. I've heard those Onan twins run and they sound cool.

I had the plate off between the engine and tank but still couldn't get to where I needed to be in order to put the retainer on the bottom of the gage.
I ran a small screw through the outter edge of the gage and it provided enough jam resistance between the hole edge and the gage lip to hold it pretty tight. This way I can replace it without removing the tank if need be.
It's much easier to fix tractors when you look at them as a tractor for work and not a tractor for show. Nothing wrong with a pretty tractor but that's not my goal. Clean and functional, yes but picture perfect,,,nah, it will out last me as it is.

GoldenCove---I couldn't agree with you more. This Forum has allowed me to try things I wouldn't do on my own. Thanks to you all!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts