My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey so I need a lawn mower. I am a minor GT enthusiast, and I found a cool 444 that comes with a 44" deck and a 38" single stage snowblower and chains. It seems to run very nice. Has the 14 hp kohler in it still. He says he's owned it for 30 years. He wants 1000 bucks for the set up. Is this going to fill lawn mowing amd snowblowing needs? I know very little about these tractors. Just always thought they were cool. And, how is that price, in canadian dollars lol. Thanks guys.
I had one for 20 + years (1969) model 444...sold it in 2007 for $600. No snow blower...still running great...wish I had kept it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Late to the party, but GOOD DEAL! $1000 for what looks like a fairly decent tractor with a blower and deck would be a screaming deal around here. (central Alberta). You won't regret buying a Case...SOLID tractor (Have an '83 446). The K321 Kohler is reliable workhorse and when the time comes...really easy and inexpensive to rebuild. Did one two years ago for ~$500 CDN all in.

Al

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a brand new 1977 John Deere 312 with 38" mower,wheel weights, chains and a snowblower. Got in the fall of 1977. Mowed good, ran good no complaints. First snow was enough to use snowblower. Blew snow all the way down down the driveway.And it stayed at the end of the driveway.It's little rear tires with weights and chains just spun and spun. Unhooked the snowblower tried driving it up the drive would spin and buy traction then spin. Finally got the tractor in the garage and drug the snowblower up the drive and shoved it too in the garage. Sold it March 1978. Case dealer had a used 1977 50hr red & yellow 446 with 48" deck and a blade. Bought wheel weights and chains. Mowed < an acre of grass in no time.Mowed both sides of the ditch were the John Deere feared to tread. Never had a lick of trouble with that Case 446. Dozed snow up and down my driveway like it was built for it. Sometimes the chains were not needed. The rear tires were 16" x 8" so the turned slower than the Deere 312 hence less spinning. I wish I had it today. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. John Deere made the 312 for 1977 -1978 only and I was blinded by the light (sorry Flash Back) the shiney green and EZ financing when I bought it. Buy the 444 you will sleep in the garage next to it.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
I have an Ingersoll 4018 with the Onan engine, never tried mowing in high range.

I doubt the results would benefit time saved.

CCMoe

·
Registered
17 Posts
CCMoe, you caught me! I should have mentioned that I mowed in low range and with the 48" deck it didn't seem to take as much time compared to the John Deere. It was only 35 years ago when I last used it. When I got the tractor in 1978 I did attempt to mow in high range. Way too bouncy & uncomfortable. Sore ars and my beer foamed! Thanks CCMoe.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts