My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I need a lawn mower. I am a minor GT enthusiast, and I found a cool 444 that comes with a 44" deck and a 38" single stage snowblower and chains. It seems to run very nice. Has the 14 hp kohler in it still. He says he's owned it for 30 years. He wants 1000 bucks for the set up. Is this going to fill lawn mowing amd snowblowing needs? I know very little about these tractors. Just always thought they were cool. And, how is that price, in canadian dollars lol. Thanks guys.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
4,042 Posts
The 444, 446, 448 are all great GT's, a few of my friends have had theirs a long time, just like me and my 318 and 420. They had the same engines as the Deeres' (Kohlers/Onans) and most likely the same drive systems, whether belt/gear or hydro-static

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 444, 446, 448 are all great GT's, a few of my friends have had theirs a long time, just like me and my 318 and 420. They had the same engines as the Deeres' (Kohlers/Onans) and most likely the same drive systems, whether belt/gear or hydro-static
From what I understand these actually have a unique hydraulic drive system. But yeah I wont complain about a cast iron kohler

·
Super Moderator
3,761 Posts
Is this the early or late version?

Either way, very tough machines. For $1,000 I'd be headed that way to go see.

·
10,649 Posts
Depending on the year, that may or may not have the snap-fast mounting system for front attachments. Preferable if it does, it would be easier to find other attachments.
As a mower, two points: it’s a GT made in the 70’s, so the turning radius will be longer than some. But, Case decks do a great job when running right.
On the snowblower, or snow caster as Case called it, performance is based on condition. Belt, pulleys, chain, bearings, flighting, and the tolerance between the cups of the auger and the chute.
On the tractor itself, the drive system is a hydraulic drive. If you have hills, it will speed up going down hills. A lot. There is an extra valve that can be installed to control that.
At $1,000, I’d be eyeballing it quickly.

·
10,649 Posts
For comparison, there is a nice early 444 here in Minnesota, good original, with just a mower deck, for $2,000.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys... so I bought it and that thing is cool! Only used the mower so far ( which turns out to be a 48 not a 44!) But man I can see why people like these machines. I was always an lgt guy. May become more partial to case all of a sudden lol

·
Super Moderator
3,761 Posts
Dang Son... you did good, that's in great shape. (y) 🍻
Even came with air in the tires... excellent.

Gonna restore it or ride it rough?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dang Son... you did good, that's in great shape. (y) 🍻
Even came with air in the tires... excellent.

Gonna restore it or ride it rough?
I will treat it/maintain it well. But it will be working hard enough for me that I wont he restoring it.

·
Super Moderator
3,761 Posts
She won't mind... so many times I've been rewarded by old machines coming back to life and loving it.

This one definitely will give back everything you put into it.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
4,042 Posts
I told you they are a great machine. Excellent, hope you have many years of enjoyment.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was in the same situation. Wanted a GT and have always been a case fan so I fixed up a 444. Liked it so much I got it a 448 to keep it company.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts