My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I need some suggestions for a shim adjust clutch on my 442. I just gave it to my sister in law and her boyfriend for their new house. I had wrecked the clutch and hadn't mowed with it in years. I rebuilt the clutch, including new Belleville springs and a new shaft and snap ring. I set the gap to right in the middle of the spec.

I tested it a week ago, mowing for about 100 ft with no issue. I dropped it off this morning, and as soon as her boyfriend engaged the clutch, the snap ring popped off the nose of the shaft.

I'm fairly certain that the snap ring was well seated. Anything I should look for or potential special causes? If I can't come up with a better solution, I may try pulling the shaft and making the ring groove deeper.

Did you use a new snap ring? If not that's where I'd start.

Welcome to MTF. 馃嵒

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome. It was a new snap ring, but it came on and off a couple times while I tried to get the clearance right.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome. It was a new snap ring, but it came on and off a couple times while I tried to get the clearance right.
Looking at the manual for the clutches on these, for the shim adjust clutch they list a part number C16483, which is apparently a spacer kit that goes over the end of the shaft and eliminates the need for the snap ring if the groove is worn. Does anyone know where I can get one, or does anyone have one they could measure for me so that I can make my own?

Thanks, if you do.

Registered
I have not messed with the shim adjust clutch, I have gotten clutch parts from Barneveld Implement. There are several companies that still have parts, and I'm sure they are good also, but I have had good luck with Barneveld.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I'd never come across them in my internet searching, but I've taken their name down for next time. I've used Salem Power for everything I needed thus far, and Brian H. has been great at helping out and answering questions. I ended up having a guy at work turn me up a part that looks like the spacer C16483 that the manual shows. Hopefully that will eliminate my problem and get the tractor back in action.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts