My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this tractor that's close by and had interest in it, but wanted to see what you guys thought about this? Is the hood scoop from the factory? Anybody have a guess on what model it is and what kind of engine I'd be dealing with here? Ad says it needs rings but with the engine in it, not sure how he doesn't know that's all it needs. Might call about it tomorrow just thought I'd see if anybody had some thoughts on it first.

http://erie.craigslist.org/grd/1870881334.html

·
10,839 Posts
The 448's were the only ones with scoops on the hood. So if it is original, its a 448.

18 hp Onan.

The 60" deck isn't real common. If you have a large yard, that's a time-saver. But with Onan parts being kind of high priced, that $500 should be negotiable.

Someone else will pin down the year within a couple. I'm not real familiar with the Case models.

·
Banned
2 Posts
if it needs rings i wouldnt pay anymore then 400 tops if you could get it for 350 that would be good ..Like stated above the parts are not cheap

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've heard before about the Onan parts being fairly expensive, that's what I was afraid about and didn't want to get in over my head. I'll have to price out some parts for this before I'd consider it to know what I'm getting into. If it had a snow plow with it I'd be even more interested, that would be my real reason for getting it, but the 60" deck sure would be nice too.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
I'm with wurkenman. $500.00 for a 1980 or 81 running 448 with a 60" deck is a bargain. Maybe you'd get away with a set of rings but maybe not. Let's say that you bought it for the $500.00 and had to spend $1200.00 to totally rebuild the Onan. You'd have $1700.00 into a tractor that will last you another 30 years. To buy a new Ingersoll that is comparable to what you are looking at would cost you more than $8000.00.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
I've heard before about the Onan parts being fairly expensive, that's what I was afraid about and didn't want to get in over my head. I'll have to price out some parts for this before I'd consider it to know what I'm getting into. If it had a snow plow with it I'd be even more interested, that would be my real reason for getting it, but the 60" deck sure would be nice too.
The Onans are a premium quality engine and the parts are priced accordingly. If you buy a brand new big box store tractor, the engines have a life-expectancy of 1000 hours. If an Onan is looked after properly, then 4000 hours is not out of the question. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
146 Posts
For that price and with that deck, I'd be loading it up and on my way home. Don't wait to long or it will be the one that gets away and you'll regret it. Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
If that were closer I'd be on my way with cash tonight. I want a Case with an Onan and 60" deck. Have my WH with the 60" but I could get rid of that for a Case!

Brad

·
GET TOUGH GET A CASE!
826 Posts
Wow if that was closer to my outlaws ummm... inlaws out in PA. it would be mine, (not that I need another one). I'm not a fan of the 60" decks, no real good reason just prefer the 48".
For that price who cares if the rings are bad. A 448 holds it's value pretty well since the hoods have a scoop and are somewhat rare not to mention cool looking.
Go get-ur done!
Tell the guy a sob story of what the cost is to fix it and offer $400.00 :fing32:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts