My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello
ignition switch will not turn motor over. everything else works on it, lites,on/off works on it. if i jump solenoid with screwdriver it starts up.
is it the ignition switch or bad solenoid..
also where could i pick up a seat for it so i can get this jd off it.
couple more questions.
is the lift link for mower deck to be staight or bend some what. my are both bend ..
also i take it there is no height adjustment on manual lift. another words the handle is either all the way up or all the way down.
what would cause motor to shake...
well thats all for right now.
thanks
al

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
I sure wish you guys would provide either the true year or the serial number of your tractors when asking questions. Things changed over the 20 years these tractors were made.

hello
ignition switch will not turn motor over. everything else works on it, lites,on/off works on it. if i jump solenoid with screwdriver it starts up.
is it the ignition switch or bad solenoid..

Look at the solenoid and you will see two small terminals and two large ones. Use a test light or a multi-meter to determine if 12 volts DC is arriving at those terminals when the key is turned to START. You should see voltage on both terminals, not just one. If you see it only on one, then the solenoid is likely at fault.

If you see it on both, then get a jumper lead out and connect one end of it to the batteries negative post. Figure out which wire going to the small terminals on the solenoid comes from the ignition switch. Once you know that, touch the other end of the jumper to the OTHER terminal on the solenoid that does not go to the ignition switch and then turn the key to START. If the tractor's engine spins over, then the solenoid is OK and you have a safety switch issue either with the front PTO actuating lever or the neutral safety switch on the travel lever.

also where could i pick up a seat for it so i can get this jd off it.

Try Tractor Supply or if you want OEM, I think that Brian can sell you one of them.

couple more questions.
is the lift link for mower deck to be staight or bend some what. my are both bend ..

The should be straight. On some decks there is a link with a double-offset in it but you can't confuse a double-offset with just being bent.

also i take it there is no height adjustment on manual lift. another words the handle is either all the way up or all the way down.

That's correct. The cutting height of the deck is controlled be the adjuster on the deck because the deck "floats" free of interference of the tractor.

what would cause motor to shake...

All single cylinder engines shake. If the rubber isolators are worn out, then replace them. The engine mounting bolts should not be resting on the tractor's frame.

well thats all for right now.
thanks
al

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
OK... the instructions are unchanged. You have a Kohler with a start/gen on it. The neutral safety switch is mounted on the underside of the dash just above the slot where the travel lever is. Try pulling your PTO lever on the left side of your tractor all the way back and wiggling the travel lever back and forth with the key turned to START.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Does the Gen light illuminate when you turn the key to 1st position?

My 444's connections on the back of the key switch were corroded, and wouldnt close the circut. Only started intermittently, then not at all. Sc***** the rust off the spades and connectors, works like a champ now.

edit: Wow...didn't know that scr-ape-ing would get neutralized into *****

·
Tractorhead
270 Posts
Try pulling your PTO lever on the left side of your tractor all the way back and wiggling the travel lever back and forth with the key turned to START.
In agreement with castoff. On my '73 222 I found out several months ago that by just moving my PTO engagement lever forward even just the slightest will cause the tractor to non-start. The simple act of getting on or off your tractor you can inadvertently touch/push/move forward the PTO lever moving it just enough to engage and cause the non-start issue. I've almost developed the habit of pulling the PTO lever back before I attempt to start my tractor now.

I'd like to add. Once you find out what your non-stating issue is post the results to let forum members know. That way if someone else has the same issue you have that may help them diagnose their issues as well. I'm sure some readers get tired of feeling like Stump the Chumps.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GOT her running. no spark problem. (breaker point cover was touching wire from coil to points.)
staring problem (solenoid was bad) replace with a new old and everytime i would go to hook up pos.+ wire to battery motor would turn over with key off. the fix the solenoid was stuck. when back and exchange solenoid and everything works good now.)
still looking for a seat.
motor shaking at ide. i been looking at motor mounts. are the motor mount part that bolts to motor .is the back part of motor mounts to be resting on frame of tractor..
also the drive belt on motor is that a 1/2"x31" belt 222 1977..
thanks
allen

·
HeadCase For My Ingersoll
1,359 Posts
edit: Wow...didn't know that scr-ape-ing would get neutralized into *****
Same thing happens when I spell the word J-A-P to describe Kubota, Yanmar, Iseki, Kawi, etc.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
GOT her running. no spark problem. (breaker point cover was touching wire from coil to points.)
staring problem (solenoid was bad) replace with a new old and everytime i would go to hook up pos.+ wire to battery motor would turn over with key off. the fix the solenoid was stuck. when back and exchange solenoid and everything works good now.)
still looking for a seat.
motor shaking at ide. i been looking at motor mounts. are the motor mount part that bolts to motor .is the back part of motor mounts to be resting on frame of tractor..
also the drive belt on motor is that a 1/2"x31" belt 222 1977..
thanks
allen

I don't see any ??????????????? so I guess there are no questions in the above post. When I went to school, we were taught to use a "?" at the end of a sentence instead of a "." so that anyone reading what we wrote, clearly understood that we were asking a question. :trink40:

·
Tractorhead
270 Posts
anixon - Good to hear your starting issue has been resolved and it wasn't something major?!?!?

As for your engine mounting question. All engines, especially single cylinder engines, are gonna vibrate - much more so than two apposing cylinder engines. No the Engine Mounting Plates should NOT rest on the tractor's main frame. The Engine Mounts or what I'll call, for the purpose of this discussion, rubber vibration dampers or insulators are there to absorb the engine vibrations to a extent. Sounds as though your Engine Mounts or rubber vibration dampers are worn out allowing the Engine Mounting Plates to rest on the main frame. You should look into replacing those.

I'm not able to help you out on the drive S/G belt size. When I purchased my 222 I replaced mine with a belt from Ingersoll and didn't concern myself with getting a belt from anyone else. That way I know I'm getting the part that belongs on the tractor and not something that might come close.

As for the seat that's an individual's choice and you can find them all over the web if you just do some searching. You guys wouldn't want to know where I got mine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts