My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am patiently waiting for a neighbor to get back to me on some side shaft engines (he does small engine repair) but I always wanted a diesel.. and I never planned on using my 222 for cutting the grass (maybe hydraulic cutter one day)

so I just ran into a used china diesel, guy wants 100$ as he just wants it out of his garage, 40 hours on the unit, electric start with battery. here is the problem its only 7hp do you think that is enough for my 222 for snow blading?
(I have a feeling its to low hp)

I was also planning on making a FEL for my 222.
(possibly log splitter)

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
What is the full RPM of the China diesel ? 12 HP. is about as low as you should go to operate the Case hydraulic system properly. It may be more related to available torgue and RPM than HP. and the fact that you only will move the tractor and not power an attachment.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
If your talking about the crank diameter you can always buy a new lovejoy half that is the correct diameter or if its in metric take it to a machine shop.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
For that money I would DEFENTLY grab it!!!! Eaven if you dont use it on this project, many more will come down the pike Im sure.

Frankly I bet it would work. May be a bit weak... probably run about what a 10hp would in the 220's.
:ditto: :ditto: :ditto:

I totally agree with this post, may be a little weak on the high range but will defenitelly move the tractor in the low range.
I bet you that little 7 HP Diesel has more torque at 2000 rpm than a 12 HP gas at the same rpm. (gas needs to rev high to produce torque)
Think about the power curve of an engine. Heck if it does not work, you're not out much...
but at that price, If i were you I'd make that MINE.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
The Operator's Manual for Case GT's state that Hi Range on the 2 speed trans-axle is used for very light work or to transport the tractor from location to location. Lo Range is supposed to be used when performing any real work.

However........... anyone who has plowed snow with one of these tractors will often find themselves using Hi-Range for several reasons. Gaining speed quickly as one goes down the drive provides momentum so that the total weight of the tractor can be used to shift snow that cannot be moved when moving slowly in Low Range.

A seven hp diesel may be equal to a 10 hp K motor in the torque department but a 10 hp K motor won't perform snow removal as well as a 14 hp K motor will.

The other consideration that is being overlooked is alternator output. Snow removal doesn't just happen in daylight hours and since there is more dark hours than daylight hours, tractor lighting for visibility and personal safety must be taken into consideration.

Most engines under the 10 hp mark are often equipped with a 3 amp alternator coil so that the battery charge can be maintained after using the electric start feature. Engines that were spec'd for lawn/garden tractor usage come with a 15 amp coil or even larger, to take care of the lighting load as well as the battery.

It is for these reasons that I advised Calzone to forget about this engine.

Yes... it is a heckuva deal for someone but I just don't feel that this would be the right choice of engine for the planned use of the tractor.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I'm not a big fan of repowers with any engine other than the OEM for a whole host of reasons discussed many times in the past but a diesel adds another issue to the mix. The Case tractors are designed to operate with an engine speed of 3600 rpm that, presumably, is optimum for the gas engines used whereas many diesels are designed to operate at significantly lower rpm. I don't know anything about the specs on the engine in question but if it has an operating speed of, say 2500 rpm, then you would have to replace the OEM pump with one about 35% larger to maintain the same travel speed.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
The Operator's Manual for Case GT's state that Hi Range on the 2 speed trans-axle is used for very light work or to transport the tractor from location to location. Lo Range is supposed to be used when performing any real work.

However........... anyone who has plowed snow with one of these tractors will often find themselves using Hi-Range for several reasons. Gaining speed quickly as one goes down the drive provides momentum so that the total weight of the tractor can be used to shift snow that cannot be moved when moving slowly in Low Range.

A seven hp diesel may be equal to a 10 hp K motor in the torque department but a 10 hp K motor won't perform snow removal as well as a 14 hp K motor will.

The other consideration that is being overlooked is alternator output. Snow removal doesn't just happen in daylight hours and since there is more dark hours than daylight hours, tractor lighting for visibility and personal safety must be taken into consideration.

Most engines under the 10 hp mark are often equipped with a 3 amp alternator coil so that the battery charge can be maintained after using the electric start feature. Engines that were spec'd for lawn/garden tractor usage come with a 15 amp coil or even larger, to take care of the lighting load as well as the battery.

It is for these reasons that I advised Calzone to forget about this engine.

Yes... it is a heckuva deal for someone but I just don't feel that this would be the right choice of engine for the planned use of the tractor.

Holy crap CGT, where do you find the time to do ALL the technical creative writting for these forums, it's like you're involved in everything I read these days, and not only are you there like at every turn, you re there to put us back on track...

for whatever it's worth, i'm glad you're there...:congrats:

JayVee

1 - 12 of 12 Posts