My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a case 222, runs great but wont mow. The engine runs strong but when i try to mow the belt stops spinning, even short dry grass if i hit a patch the belt and blades just stop, even when on concrete it seems to only spinning 1/4 speed of the engine. I have tightened the clutch pullys and no go, any ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I adjusted the clutch with the instructions and still no luck, could it be that I need a new belt, the belt seems fairly loose?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
First, you need to determine for sure whether the clutch is slipping or the belt is slipping. If the belt is slipping then make sure you have the correct length belt and that the tensioning spring on the mule drive is correct and not overstretched. The correct belt part number is C23358 and it is 66".

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I engage the clutch, I can pull the belt around pretty easy, while the pto does not turn at all, this is why Iwas thinking the belt is stretcched or likje you said the spring on the tensioner is stretched, I looked up that belt and it is $40! WOW!
Thanks for all of the help

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
If I engage the clutch, I can pull the belt around pretty easy, while the pto does not turn at all, this is why Iwas thinking the belt is stretcched or likje you said the spring on the tensioner is stretched, I looked up that belt and it is $40! WOW!
Thanks for all of the help
That $40 belt will last for ever! But a - $20 kevlar belt from TSC or even many auto parts stores will last a few weeks less than "forever!" You need a "power transmission" belt, not a standard v belt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, thanks, Well worth it then! Anyone know where to get a clutch disc for this mower? I think I will replace the clutch disc and the belt, then be done with it I hope.
Alan

·
Registered
358 Posts
strat456,
If you get in touch with Brian Hildreth of Salem Power Equipment whom is on this forum regularly he will treat you right and I think that $40 belt will be alittle less.He is a dealer.I ordered mine on a Friday and had it Monday.
It was an Igrersoll belt.
Terry,

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
OK, thanks, Well worth it then! Anyone know where to get a clutch disc for this mower? I think I will replace the clutch disc and the belt, then be done with it I hope.
Alan
Perhaps you didn't understand my statement, Or you prefer to ignore it. Which is fine, also. I I think Brian does a great job, and do all I can to support him. But, I said an Ingersoll belt will last forever, and a less than 20.00 TSC belt will last "a couple weeks less." In other words, there is very little difference, if any, between the two belts, in my opinion & experience. But it is your money and Brian needs support!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I think I found the problem! I was looking at how to change my belt and I noticed the tension spring was just flopping loose. I looked under and noticed that the handle sticking out the front adjusted the tension on the belt pulley. Gave her 3 or 4 turns and she is mowing like a champ now. I said I was a newbie, LOL.
Thanks, Alan

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
That's why it's worthwhile to invest in the appropriate manuals that tell you those things. Glad to hear you got it together and it's working.

·
Registered
358 Posts
If we don't have a manual we go to "This" online tech support.It works great.
Unless you are out working and something goes wrong then a manual will work.:sidelaugh

1 - 14 of 14 Posts