My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Dirtdog
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1982 Case 222 that moves fine forward and reverse but it will not hold in any given speed. You can push the lever and it will stay for a short time and then try to kick into neutral. Is this a adjustment or signs of more serious problems?:fing20:

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Mine does the same thing until it gets warmed up. It can be pretty annoying I know, and from what I understand it is most likely an adjustment of the spools. Apparently, there can be absolutley NO PLAY in the connection where the lever meets the spool, but I do think others have outlined the steps to fix it.
once mine gets the oil good and hot, it will hold a speed much better, so I have put off working on the TCV for now, but this issue HAS been discussed either here or on the yahoo group pretty recently.
I am sure someone here will have the adjustment procedure at the ready as soon as they see your post.
Matter of fact, I too will be watching and taking notes so I can get around to fixing mine also.

alos, check the level of oil in your hydraulic resevior, I notice mine performs much better when the oil is at the 4 inch from the top mark, rather than a little lower at 5 inches.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
2,552 Posts
Compliance in the bushings and ball joint can be an issue, but kicking in to neutral is often due to a worn neutral safety switch. Under $25 replacement, but a bit time consuming to replace.

Also look at the safety return spring from the parking brake to the travel lever ... if too tight it can pull on the lever with just bouncing around on rough turf.

If you step through the parts manual and review those items, it should make sense ...

Brian

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Brian, I am a bit confused by the parts diagram, If the nuetral safety switch is part of the electrical system, the diagram doesn't exactly show where i should be looking for it on the body of the tractor. Is it connected to the travel lever? I cannot locate a diagram that shows it's placement.
I have located the page where The switch is listed, on page 37, part of the electrical system. Any additional help would be great as to where to locate this thing.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Look at your dashboard. Do you see the slot above the travel lever? Do you see the teeny-tiny carriage bolt heads just above the slot? Those are the bolts that hold the neutral safety switch (NSS) onto the dashboard. The rod in the slot slides over the serrations cut into the NSS. After a lot of use, the serrations wear out and even the metal rod will wear flat. A flat rod is no good. It must be round.

Another problem on some models is the use of a centering spring located in the back of the travel spool. Removing that spring solves most of the problem but the other issues must be addressed too.

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Thanks Castoff, now I have a starting point to check things out. I hope the OP finds this info useful as well.

·
Dirtdog
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the information
It certainly gives us both a starting point on these great tractors

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Hey Dog, where bouts in OH? I am just over the river in KY, if you need any EZ clutch help, let me know, I just mastered the process a month or so ago.
Go Redlegs!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts