My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Tractor hoarder/collector
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok a friend of mine has a case 220(ive NEVER worked on a case, LOTS of sears tractors if u cant tell ive worked on) and it wont move...he said he was using it and it just quit moving....The high low part of the axle shifts and you can hear the motor pull down like the hydro pump is engaging when you shift the gear lever...BUT it wont move, wont even try to move....I checked the "hyro" oil and it seems to have what looks like motor oil in it to me(it was brownish like motor oil) not red or clear....Any one got an idea?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The hydraulic system uses motor oil 15-40 or 20-50, NOT hydraulic fluid. Sounds like it might be in the differential housing. The high/ low selector is a stepped gear on a shaft that just slides from side to side. My guess is that maybe the c-clip came off the shaft and is not allowing the gear to slide. Could also be the shift fork also in the diff housing. The oil should be 5-6 inches below the filler cap opening.
Terry

·
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can any of this be problem solved without taking it apart? I DO NOT wanna tear that rear end apart.....I dont know enough about it to do that.....

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Perhaps resting your hand on rear hyd motor would tell you if it`s turning, if yes, then you have no choice but to disassemble the rear end . DOES THE HYD CYLINDER FOR THE DECK STILL WORK ? This would confirm or deny your idea that the pump functions

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
The hydraulic system uses motor oil 15-40 or 20-50, NOT hydraulic fluid. Sounds like it might be in the differential housing. The high/ low selector is a stepped gear on a shaft that just slides from side to side. My guess is that maybe the c-clip came off the shaft and is not allowing the gear to slide. Could also be the shift fork also in the diff housing. The oil should be 5-6 inches below the filler cap opening.
Terry
Jack both rear wheels off the ground, with the lever in hi or low when you spin one wheel, the opposite wheel will spin in the opposite direction (open differential) Shift to neutral, with working linkage when you spin one tire the other will not move. This can confirm or deny the linkage problem without disassembly. I suppose you might still have a rear end problem but it won`t be related to the hi/low shifter

EDIT: keep in mind to check the EXTERNAL shift linkage first. Start with the simple stuff

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Could the coupling be broke between the engine/pump?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Before getting carried away check to make sure the shift rod going into the transaxle has not fallen off the shift handle, this has happened to me on occasion and is easy to reconnect.

·
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This tractor has a manul lift deck.....I can check by feeling the hydro motor maybe tomrrow(when I get home from work), I can jack it up and try that! man I hope its something stupidly simple like the lever fell off..I can hear the motor pull down when u shift in to forward or reverse so thats what im assuming is the hydro pump pumping...BUT i have been wrong before!!!! ill check that tomorrow!! thanks guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts