My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
case 220....
the solenoid has been replaced (with a Trombetta), the regulator has been replaced (3 years ago)....I put in a new battery which does not seem to be able to hold a charge. I can get it to start and run but I cannot figure out what is wrong with the electrical system. It goes through fuses..any spark at all when putting cables to it blows a fuse. Yesterday as I was replacing a fuse (with the ignition off) the fuse started to glow before I even got the holder connected. Obviously there is a short or a wrong connection somewhere. I found the wiring diagram and will try to trace the wires to be sure they go to the right places. What is funny is that it started right up but just did not seem to hold a charge. I charged it overnight but had left the ignition switch on so I fugured that's why the battery was not charged. I disconnected the battery and the tractor still wouldn't start without the charger giving it a boost. It is a 300 CA battery. Then there was a spark followed by a blown fuse. Replaced the fuse and it started but after I shut if off and looked at the fuse, it had overheated and was in less than pristine condition. When I tried to replace it, it was glowing before I could finish installing it. So now the battery is disconnected, there is no fuse and I am looking for a place to start.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I am thinking a wire has rubbed against some metal and lost its coating. Now you have a small short that is discharging the system. If it is happening without the ignition switch on I would start with the wires coming off the positive side of the battery and test from there out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Visually everything I can see looks OK. I may have to check the wires on the ammeter. That will require some disassembly. I'll make sure my digital camera is ready so I'll have a better idea about putting it back together (assuming it is wired correctly now)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts