My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 190 that I plan to restore and use lightly. It has a mower deck and everything works but is worn.
First and most important question is the hydro drive. It is weak, won't hardly go in high range.Works ok in low. I am experienced in rebuilding hydraulic pumps and motors. I have not cleaned it up and taken a look at the components yet. What sort of hyd. pump and motor does this have and are parts available? Where do I find manuals [ operator and rebuild and parts] for this tractor? Thanks, Lynn.

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
:MTF_wel: and enjoy the forum. Make sure you post plenty of pics as you do the restore. slkpk

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Go to the Ingersoll Tractor web site and you can download the parts manual for free, an operator manual can be purchased through an Ingersoll dealer.

Before concluding that the hydraulic system has a problem, drain the oil from the transaxle which also serves as the oil reservoir and refill with 20W50 motor oil. DO NOT use any type of hydraulic oil or fluid.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I second Bart's advice but must add the following.

The hydraulic oil for the old 100 series is stored in the trans-axle. Most likely, your tractor has never seen proper servicing so before condemning any part of the Hy Driv system, you must make sure oil is being delivered to the pump properly. Drain the trans-axle into a clean container so you can examine what comes out. What comes out is important in deciding what to do next.

If you get nothing but oil, then that's good. You can then remove the steel line that runs between the pump and the trans-axle. With this line removed, use either a socket or a box end wrench to loosen the large fitting on the trans-axle that the steel line threaded into. Remove it carefully because this fitting has the intake screen on it. The parts book shows all of this. Check the screen carefully first to see if it is badly plugged up. If it is, then that's a clue as to why your system may be performing badly. The pump is being starved for oil.

Clean the screen thoroughly before re-installing it and the steel line.

Now, if you get a water and yellowy, grayish goo coming out of the trans-axle, then you have badly contaminated oil in there. At this point, you need to remove the top cover of the trans-axle. Put the drain plug back in and pour diesel fuel into the trans-axle. Use a parts cleaning brush to wash all of the goo off the gears and housing. Jack one side of the tractor up so one back wheel can be rotated. This will cause the gears to turn and expose themselves for more cleaning.

When you feel you've got as much as you can, drain the trans-axle again and inspect. If only a few hard to reach areas remain, then fill the trans-axle again with clean diesel. Jack the entire tractor up and place it on jack stands sitting on solid footing. Start the tractor up and with the trans-axle in Lo range, move the travel lever into forward with the engine running just above idle. This will cause the trans-axle gears to begin rotating. Diesel oil will now get drawn into the pump and will be forced through all the lines, cooler and drive motor.

Let it run like this for about 5 minutes to get lots of circulation. Then shut the engine off and drain the trans-axle again. Your eyes will tell you whether you need to do this at least one more time or not. Obviously, the purpose behind this is to rid the system of the nasty contaminants because those things are ruining the pump and motor all the while the tractor is being operated.

When the diesel starts coming out almost as clean as it went in, that's when you're done. Drain out the diesel for the last time and then fill the trans-axle housing with 20W50 motor oil. It takes about 10 qts to fill it. There will be about one qt of diesel still in the system. It will mix just fine with the motor oil and yes it will thin it a bit. The next time you change out the oil, most of the diesel will be removed.

Keep the following in mind. The engine spins the pump. The pump moves the oil through the system and gets directed into the drive motor. The drive motor rotates the trans-axle gears to make the rear wheels turn. It's the oil that is transmitting engine power to the back wheels. It is as vital a component as the pump and motor are. Bad oil or the wrong oil will bring these tractors to a halt. Ignorant owners, cheap owners, lazy owners etc are the ones who cause bad oil and wrong oil to be in the system.

Once you have returned the all-important oil compent back to what it was when the tractor left the factory, only then can any real diagnosis of the Hy-driv system take place. There's no point condemning a pump and/or motor prior to this. And even if it turns out that one or both need replacement, everything I outlined above will have to be performed anyway.

Brian Hildreth posts on this site all the time and Brian is an Ingersoll dealer. If there are any Operator's Manuals still in stock at Ingersoll, Brian can sell you one. New pumps are available in the after-market world should you end up needing one. The drive motors can also be replaced. All other parts are available either as new, used, aftermarket or generic off-the-shelf.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts