My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I took a trip to the scrap yard yesterday with my my neighbour to pick up a dirtbike he found.
I was poking around and found a heavy duty 54" blade with trip springs.
Not sure what it was for, and it's missing the mount, but for $50 I couldn't say no!

blade.jpg blade2.jpg

Now I need to figure out how I want to mount it.
Clip on to the bucket, stand alone mounts or to work with the forklift frame I have.
What I really want to have is a quick change adapter for all my attachments, but not sure how to make it yet.
I would like to go with a standard mini skidsteer QA in case I find some attachments with that system one day.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I am thinking of making removeable sides so it can be either one.

I also was entertaining the thought of a hydraulic V plow like they are making for trucks these days, but I think I might need a 6 foot to build one of those.
I would also need the remotes for that, which I don't have yet.

I think a V plow would be more versatile that a box pusher.
You could change it from V out to V in and angle it both ways.
I guess you would need 2 separate remotes to control it fully.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
It took me 7 years to to find a Q/A head for my 450 Bobcat. Got it, and a pretty decent bucket for $200.00 at a equipment salvage yard. Almost felt ashamed for getting it for that. Almost..... :)

I'd made a manure bucket, and bale spear for it to hook up to the OEM pin connection. Last winters project was to convert them to hook to the Q/A head. How sweet that is to switch out in a minute, rather than 10-15 minutes.

If you can fab one, you'll love it..!!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It took me 7 years to to find a Q/A head for my 450 Bobcat. Got it, and a pretty decent bucket for $200.00 at a equipment salvage yard. Almost felt ashamed for getting it for that. Almost..... :)

I'd made a manure bucket, and bale spear for it to hook up to the OEM pin connection. Last winters project was to convert them to hook to the Q/A head. How sweet that is to switch out in a minute, rather than 10-15 minutes.

If you can fab one, you'll love it..!!
Thanks for the incentive.
I can only imagine how handy it must be.

The thing is I can fab one.
I am a machinist and I have a very well equipped shop at home.
The only problem is Murphy lives here, too.

I can see it now.
I will search and search and never find one.
I will spend weeks building something like that because I don't want to pay for a new one.
As soon as I'm finished building it, I will find one for sale on Kijij or at an auction for a steal of a price.
Happens all the time :dunno:

We'll just see how desperate I become...

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
Really good lookin' blade GB, full frame reinforced. Would make a really nice pusher.

The fixed vee plows are good if you have a contract for a few miles of city sidewalk but probably not as handy at home. Bombardier Trackless used them a lot. The Hyd Vee's seem to go for big bucks, even used.

Although it only takes 5 mins to pull 4 pins, I already wish my bucket and pusher had QA when it will come time to move gravel......but not paid by the hour anymore here.

The big guys just seem to slip fit the pushers on the front of the bucket so they can drop them to load trucks.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Just to get this thread back on the first page of my subscriptions, I'm gonna post some pics.
Not doing much right now on any of my projects.
Wrote off my truck last week and I'm on light duty only.
All the more time for MTF!!!

Here is the engine that was in the machine when I bought it.
Insufficient in the first place, and seized up good when I got it.
I had no intention of even trying to fix it, so I sold it for something like $15.
The guy that came to buy it ended up taking a fancy to one of my tractors, and he bought that too.

DSC00077.JPG

Once again, I was too hasty to get this thing fixed and didn't take ANY before pictures :fing20:
I assure you the bucket looked horrible.
The bottom had rusted out and the "repair" was to just weld a new "plate" (or piece of tin) over top and not even cut out the old bottom.
Dirt tended to pack up between the two pieces.
This was unacceptable to me, so the second repair (after the engine swap) was to rebuild the bucket better.

1816bucket.jpg

And again, sorry for no in process fabrication pictures.
When I get on a roll I don't stop for nothing.

I used 3 pieces of 3/16" plate to fix the bottom.
I didn't have one piece that was big enough.
The seams are over the pieces of flat bar on the bottom, fully welded and ground flat.
I also added some angle to reinforce the bottom edges and fully welded the cutting edge.
Also I cut off one of the flanges for the pins that was badly worn and made a new one that I welded on.

Turned out to be a 2 day job and took up a full weekend.

I ended up just spray bombing it black, haven't been able to find a paint that matches the yellow.

Anybody know what color this thing is?????

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
What was that engine that came out GB. Looks like a PA power Fist?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
What was that engine that came out GB. Looks like a PA power Fist?
Bingo, Larry.
A 15 hp Power Fist Honda clone.

The guy who bought it opened it up and said water got in and rusted the cylinder. Not sure if he got it running or not.

The PO who installed it didn't get the belts lined up good enough.
The offset of the engine required him to do a little adjusting of the frame with a sledge hammer, and he still didn't get it right!

It kept chewing belts so he got discouraged and parked it.
The engine was in good condition, practically new, when he parked it.
It sat outside for a few years with a poorly designed exhaust and took on a bit of water.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
Bingo, Larry.
A 15 hp Power Fist Honda clone.

The guy who bought it opened it up and said water got in and rusted the cylinder. Not sure if he got it running or not.

The PO who installed it didn't get the belts lined up good enough.
The offset of the engine required him to do a little adjusting of the frame with a sledge hammer, and he still didn't get it right!

It kept chewing belts so he got discouraged and parked it.
The engine was in good condition, practically new, when he parked it.
It sat outside for a few years with a poorly designed exhaust and took on a bit of water.
Ah......... but if it wasn't for folks like that, we would never find the bargains that we do.

Kind of like the stump grinder I bought. When the cutters got dull, instead of just sharpening them, previous owner kept pounding away until it created cracks in the deck around the cutter shaft pillow bearings. Then gave up and sold it. Also didn't help that the factory only used 3/8" bolts to mount those bearings.

Bearings had 1/2" holes but factory deck drillings were only 3/8". I bumped it all up to 1/2" gr8 full shank and used gr8 flat washers as well.

Took me about 10 mins each to sharpen them, but even new, replacement cutters are only $22 each. Kind of makes you shake your head.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ah......... but if it wasn't for folks like that, we would never find the bargains that we do.

Kind of like the stump grinder I bought. When the cutters got dull, instead of just sharpening them, previous owner kept pounding away until it created cracks in the deck around the cutter shaft pillow bearings. Then gave up and sold it. Also didn't help that the factory only used 3/8" bolts to mount those bearings.

Bearings had 1/2" holes but factory deck drillings were only 3/8". I bumped it all up to 1/2" gr8 full shank and used gr8 flat washers as well.

Took me about 10 mins each to sharpen them, but even new, replacement cutters are only $22 each. Kind of makes you shake your head.

Stump grinder, eh??
I need one of those.

Sounds like you did a nice job on it, Larry.
I think I remember seeing it on here somewhere.

Gotta love the throw away society we live in...keeps us busy picking it all up!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
1816 got quite a bit of use over the long weekend.
No big issues, but I noticed a small leak in both the lift cylinders.
Not sure if it's the hose or the seals yet, but looks like that might be the next thing to get some attention.

A little action pic from the weekend.
A 36" blower fits nicely in the 42" bucket.

DSC00016.jpg

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So the 1816 hasn't had a lot of refreshing lately, just use!

It's been busy pushing my junk around and lifting stuff.

1816pushing.jpg
1816hydro.jpg
caselift.jpg

I have had a request for some pictures of the clutch setup.
I didn't have a chance to get any today but will get them up by the weekend.
For starters here's a picture of the engagement handle that I had handy.

1816clutch.jpg

And a poor view from the right side of the belts.
That's about all you can see with it all put together!

1816belts.jpg

The belt for the left drive pump started squealing a month or so ago.
I sprayed it with some belt dressing and it quieted right up and gripped fine.
Had to spray it once or twice since.
I think new belts are in the near future...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was lucky enough to find one also... can't wait to get it running! I have a wisconsin (Ducati) twin diesel that runs excellent that we are putting in.... Goona hook it up direct, unless I can find a new centrifugal clutch... the one I have is welded up and was attached to, believe it or not, a toyota 4 cyl..... should have seen it! Of course no pics! Anyways, nice to hear old iron is being used elsewhere besides here..

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Well still no work done to the skidsteer, but it's been doing lots of work.

Happy to report the fuel pump is working great.
Spent a solid 2 hrs a few weeks ago in 30+ deg. weather with no problems.
The belts are slipping more and more so that will need to be addressed soon.
I'm noticing a bit more play in the wheels too, so a chain tightening and keyway repair are also on the list.
Also really need to get on building those pallet forks...

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Slight mishap the other day...

I was out clearing some brush in the backyard.
While working on a particularly difficult stump, I heard a loud POP and I found myself looking at the sky...

brokencase.jpg

brokencase1.jpg

brokenhub.jpg

brokenhub1.jpg

Upon closer inspection the hub appears to have been previously repaired.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
Ouch !

21 - 40 of 48 Posts