My Tractor Forum banner

Case 1816B Skidsteer Refresh

56K views 50 replies 12 participants last post by  poncho62 
#1 ·
Last fall I acquired what has become one of my favourite toys.

I have been into collecting garden tractors for close to 6 years and a gear head all my life.
A fellow I work with knew a guy who had an old skidsteer that needed a motor.
He was talking about it with him and the guy said it used the same engine as some Sears garden tractors.

Well, my friend picked up on that right away and said " I know a guy that might have a motor for you". Thinking he might help me out and make a sale for me.

Well the guy turned around and said " I just bought a new John Deere something or other with a loader and don't have any interest in the skid steer. Do you think your friend might want to buy it?"

So he inquired into the price and it was well within my regular GT budget, like mid 3 digits! And knowing I had a few spare motors around I decided to jump on it.

I don't have any pictures of when I bought it, but it was squeezed in between two sheds and had been sitting outside for a few years. The bucket was very poorly repaired, and it had a 15hp Chinese motor in it, that didn't even turn over.

I did some research and found out it originally had a 16 hp Tecumseh OHV single (like some Sears).
The engine drives 3 pumps. One hydraulic pump for the loader cylinders and two hydrostatic pumps. One for each side of drive wheels which are connected by a chain.

There were 3 different 1816 models, the 1816, 1816B and C.
The main differences I have found are the engine and drive clutch type.
They use a clutch to engage/disengage the drive pumps. The pump for the loader is always running. The clutch was either centrifugal, manual (like mine) or electric.
I am thankful mine has the manual cable operated clutch as it seem the most simple of the three and easiest to fix.

On the later model 1816 they switched to a Onan twin. B43M I believe.

So, I didn't have any Tecumseh OH160's around, but I did happen to have an Onan B48M 18hp sitting on a bench ready to go into something...

Land vehicle Vehicle Construction equipment Car Wheel
Vehicle Car Auto part Construction equipment Machine

It took me a good week to do the engine swap.
I needed to make a motor adapter plate since the mount was drilled and designed for the Tecumseh.
These machines are very tight and compact and not necessarily fun to work on.
The original design of the machine requires you to pull the engine just to change the belts.
So needless to say I pulled that engine more times than I can remember when I was fitting it all up.

I also spent a good weekend repairing the bucket.
I welded in 3/16 plate on the bottom and reinforced the corners with angle.
Replaced one worn out pivot point on the mount and welded the wear edge.

I am rather pleased with the way it turned out.
I have put a good deal of hours on it and the belts show no sign of wear.
I just used cheap belts from TSC.
There's still a lot of work to do. I would like to replace all the heater hose and extra fittings the PO put on.
Also want to relocate the filter and remove the piece of angle iron he welded on there, crooked.

But it works for now, so I use it.

Vehicle Bulldozer Construction equipment Grass Tree

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Good to finally see pics GB. What width is it? I knew a guy who had a little air cooled mini Bobcat version for cleaning barn stalls. I believe it would go thru a 36" gate so maybe 34". If you flipped it over, you could get out and stand it back up. Well, maybe with help, I never actually tried.:dunno:

#4 ·
It can be setup to fit through a 36"gate.
Overall width with the skinny tires is 35"

I have the bigger tires (yay!) and the 44" bucket.
These wheels can be reversed for a wide or narrow stance.
It was in narrow stance when I got it.I just reversed the wheels for the wide stance last week.
I plan on building some forks for it so I want the extra stability.

Here's the specs from the brochure I found.

Technical drawing Drawing Text Diagram Line art
Text Font Document Organism Line

Actually here's the whole brochure in pdf...

View attachment cce_SSL_1800 B Series_1816B_specs_06-26-2009.pdf

No big projects planned, per say, but I really want to start making some attachments for it.
I scored a set of forks and the frame from a forklift that I want to mount.
I think forks and a grapple will be soooo handy.

#5 ·
It can be setup to fit through a 36"gate.
Overall width with the skinny tires is 35"

I have the bigger tires (yay!) and the 44" bucket.
These wheels can be reversed for a wide or narrow stance.
It was in narrow stance when I got it.I just reversed the wheels for the wide stance last week.
I plan on building some forks for it so I want the extra stability.
They probably had the same idea in mind, Std Barn stall cleaner.:fing32:

That 44" bucket is a decent size for a small machine. My LGT is only 38".

#8 ·
Well they both have their advantages and disadvantages, but right now the 1816 wins.

It is so maneuverable. No tractor can get around like this thing.
Plus you have full steering control when the front wheels are off the ground.
I can scrape with the weight on the cutting edge and still turn on a dime.

The four wheel drive allows way more to get done too.
This thing digs really well where the 644 has trouble breaking ground with the bucket.

The 644 still wins when it comes to not tearing up the grass.
You can't drive the skidsteer on the lawn without wreaking havoc. Just can't be done.

#9 ·
My late friend had an old Melroe Bobcat that had a OH160 Tecumseh in it..he bought it for 900 bucks because it was supposedly seized up,but it turned out to be the stator in it had come loose and got mangled up in the flywheel..he had it running in a few days after he got it..it had some funky torque converter drive setup,like a golf cart or snowmobile uses..it worked ok,but not as well as the hydrostatic driven ones..

He used it for a few months around his yard--then someone driving by saw it,and offered him 1500 bucks for it--he was willing to part with it,because of the torque converter--like you said,it was no fun to fix,and he was sure the engine would have to be unbolted to replace the belt,and it was about due to fail,it looked 10+ years old,and he'd had enough of fixing it.
I got to play with the machine awhile,and would have liked to have owned it..

About 3 years later,I saw a similar Case skid steer, at a guys auto & truck sales shop--it was a bigger machine,and had a 4 cylinder diesel engine--which had tossed a rod through the block,and had been crudely patched after they put it together,and the guy had bought it not knowing that had happened,it was not readily visible unless you really looked..well,it ran good for a few weeks,then blew up again..and there it sat..

I asked if he'd sell it,he said he would take 1500 bucks for it as-is..he said he had tried to find a good engine for it,and the few he found any good were priced well above what he paid for it,and also heard they had a bad reputation for "blowing up"..he felt it wasn't worth taking the risk to buy the "right" engine for it..

I was pretty tempted to buy it,the engine on it only spun a driveshaft hooked to a large hydraulic pump, to power the wheel motors and bucket,so just about any engine could have been adapted fairly easy...

I had a 24 HP Onan,and also had a friend with a Ford Ranger 2.3 4 banger he had no use for he would have given me,either one probably would have made it a nice working unit again...but I had health issues at the time,and was not feeling up to such a task,and also needed the money for other things more,so I passed on it...
I still wish I hadn't because its not often you see even a "junk" skid steer for under 2 grand around here...

#10 ·
I know what you mean!
I never thought I would find one even in "junk" condition for under a grand.
I wasn't even dreaming about it.

I really had to ask my friend 2 or 3 times after he told me what the guy was asking.
Then I was picturing something much worse.

I must say it was hard to contain my enthusiasm when I went to see it.
I bet I could have even talked him down a bit, but I felt guilty.
I didn't want to risk loosing it so I gave him the cash and got her home!

#11 ·
Long gone now, but I repowered my 1816 with a Honda. Nice and quiet. I'd also suggest regularly wearing the seatbelt. That short wheelbase can really buck and I creased my forehead a few times.

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
Nice!!
That looks way cleaner than mine.
I like the extra counterweights too. I plan to make some.
Looks like you had some sort of plexiglass back window?
I have also been thinking about some way of enclosing the back and sides, and making a roof for the front part that's open.

I mean, why have a roof if it doesn't keep you dry when it rains?

And thanks for the tip on the seatbelt.
It can be a bit of a bucking bronco at times, and rather tippy.

#13 ·
Dad bought one of those back in the early 90's. Completely refurbished it with a new 16 hp Tecumseh from Roy Padgett sales in Indiana. He only did one thing with it, and that was load a 55 gallon drum of used oil on his truck. A friend happened to be here when he did that, and said that was exactly what his son needed. He made an offer that Dad couldn't refuse, like 2X what he had in it. So the little 1816 found a new home.

#14 ·
Thank you all for your replies.:thanku:
I am always happy to hear from anyone who owns or has owned one of these little wonders.

Love hearing the stories and seeing the pictures.
Keep 'em comin'!! :fing32:

Before we get too far with this thread I should state my intentions:

As the title says, I plan to "refresh" this machine to give it another lease on life.
It was basically left for dead by it's PO.

I DO NOT plan to "restore" it.

I plan to fix it up to the point where it's useful and perhaps more useful than original.
I will try to improve some of the shody repairs that have been done in the past, but not necessarily by using OEM parts.

Paint is in the plans, but probably piece by piece as the repairs are done, bit by bit.
I would like to try and keep the repairs focused as to minimize down time on the machine.

So what I'm saying is I am not planning to do a complete tear down, although some of the repairs that need to be done will require almost complete disassembly.

As for the additions I would like to make, the list is long.
Some of the first will hopefully be the addition of front hydraulic remotes, an overhead console for switches and gauges, and some weather protection.

The list of attachments can also go on and on, but pallet forks, a grapple, and a snowpusher are some of the first.

Now, one of the things I've added lately is this mini electric fuel pump.
The machine had an electric pump originally but I didn't get a good one with it.
If you notice in the first pictures I have a small red tank taped (yes taped) to the cage.
That was the test tank to make sure the engine swap was going to work.
The gas tank for the machine is actually part of the body tub.

I picked up this mini pump at the auto parts store. It's rated 2 - 3.5 psi at 28 gph. It was the lowest psi pump they had.
It seems to work fine and not flood the engine.
I think 28gph should be plenty for the Onan, but she is quite thirsty.:trink21:

Auto part Fuel line

I had no choice but to keep the original diaphragm pump.
It's mounted directly to the carb and is the fuel inlet.
It was shot and I don't think it would have enough lift anyways even if it was working at %100.
I opened it up and cut off the check flaps so it's basically straight through.
I plugged the pulse port on the engine and the pump.

Auto part Fuel line Engine Pipe

#15 ·
Lookin' Good GB! :thThumbsU

Hoping you got some seat time tonight.......I did, about 8" worth and still coming down. :sidelaugh

#16 ·
I'm not sure how long you have ran it at one time, but don't be surprised in warmer weather it runs for about 30-45 minutes then shuts down. I put what I think is the very same pump you have, Mr. Gasket pump on my 450 Bobcat. And the only reason I did that, is the rental company I bought it from had put the same pump on, and I thought it was going bad, so replaced it.

Come to find out, the OEM manual pump had apparently given up the ghost, so instead of pulling the engine and replacing it, they went with the electric pump. The problem is, after a short while with all of the heat in the engine compartment, those little pumps get so hot, the little oscillating piston in there that pumps the fuel seizes up, and quits pumping. Let it set long enough to cool off, and it's good to go.

I finally figured out what was going on, so got a new OEM manual pump and installed it. That was 8 years ago, and it hasn't missed a beat to this day.

I'm not saying it will, but, don't be surprised if it does. Time will tell...

#17 ·
Thanks for the tip!

I am a bit leery of this pump, but it's hanging out in the open so it shouldn't get too much extra heat.
I consciously mounted it in a spot that I figured would be as far from the heat as possible, yet still maintain a short fuel line.
I actually spent quite a while thinking about it, as I tend to do.
More thinking than doing, most of the time.

I ended up right on the back of the machine, under the engine, right beside the fuel filler neck, yet still protected by the rear guard that holds the oil cooler.
I made a little bracket that I welded to the motor mount adapter I made.

The only time it's died on me is when I legitimately run out of gas. (just happened tonight at the end of the driveway)
Did I mention this Onan is thirsty?:trink21:

#18 ·
I know of several guys who had Mr.Gasket electric fuel pumps die in short order,including myself...they are junk in my opinion...I think the plastic "dipped" coating makes them get too hot and they fry..

"Airtex" used to be a very reliable brand,but I have heard many of those have failed in short order in recent years also--including their OEM in-tank replacement fuel pumps..

I have had good luck with these two styles of electric fuel pumps...the Facet square ones are more expensive,but last...I have a "no-name" round one on my diesel pickup like the one pictured below,that has been on it 13 years and still going strong..you can find the round ones on E-bay for as little as 10 bucks and up...(the lower psi ones are more costly than the typical 5-7 psi ones most vehicles use)..

Attachments

#19 · (Edited)
Hmmmm...

So far two thumbs down for my pump, eh.

Well I'm gonna keep it (obviously) but I will definitely keep you all posted on how and when it dies.
Hopefully not any time soon.

Guess I better keep that little test tank and the duct tape close.
This thing is pretty much impossible to move when it's not running.
And knowing my luck it will die in the worst of spots...

Thanks for the info on the pumps you do trust, tractorholic.
I will try to find one when the time comes.

#20 · (Edited)
Just for reference, both my own and others who might find this thread in search of information on these machine, I'm posting a link to the Case ce parts site.

They have the complete exploded diagrams with parts and numbers for the whole machine.

LINK TO PARTS PAGE

Official Case Construction Equipment Online Parts Store and Parts Look Up. Parts for Case Equipment and Construction Equipment. Parts Store for Case Wheel Loaders, Case Excavators, Case Skid Steers, Case Original Parts.

LINK TO PARTS PAGE

If the link works, it should come up on the fuel pump page.
Hit the "back to manual" tab and the sections should appear as folders.

#21 ·
I took a trip to the scrap yard yesterday with my my neighbour to pick up a dirtbike he found.
I was poking around and found a heavy duty 54" blade with trip springs.
Not sure what it was for, and it's missing the mount, but for $50 I couldn't say no!

Vehicle
Snowplow Vehicle Snow Snow removal Construction equipment

Now I need to figure out how I want to mount it.
Clip on to the bucket, stand alone mounts or to work with the forklift frame I have.
What I really want to have is a quick change adapter for all my attachments, but not sure how to make it yet.
I would like to go with a standard mini skidsteer QA in case I find some attachments with that system one day.

#23 ·
I am thinking of making removeable sides so it can be either one.

I also was entertaining the thought of a hydraulic V plow like they are making for trucks these days, but I think I might need a 6 foot to build one of those.
I would also need the remotes for that, which I don't have yet.

I think a V plow would be more versatile that a box pusher.
You could change it from V out to V in and angle it both ways.
I guess you would need 2 separate remotes to control it fully.

#24 ·
It took me 7 years to to find a Q/A head for my 450 Bobcat. Got it, and a pretty decent bucket for $200.00 at a equipment salvage yard. Almost felt ashamed for getting it for that. Almost..... :)

I'd made a manure bucket, and bale spear for it to hook up to the OEM pin connection. Last winters project was to convert them to hook to the Q/A head. How sweet that is to switch out in a minute, rather than 10-15 minutes.

If you can fab one, you'll love it..!!

#25 ·
Thanks for the incentive.
I can only imagine how handy it must be.

The thing is I can fab one.
I am a machinist and I have a very well equipped shop at home.
The only problem is Murphy lives here, too.

I can see it now.
I will search and search and never find one.
I will spend weeks building something like that because I don't want to pay for a new one.
As soon as I'm finished building it, I will find one for sale on Kijij or at an auction for a steal of a price.
Happens all the time :dunno:

We'll just see how desperate I become...

#26 ·
Really good lookin' blade GB, full frame reinforced. Would make a really nice pusher.

The fixed vee plows are good if you have a contract for a few miles of city sidewalk but probably not as handy at home. Bombardier Trackless used them a lot. The Hyd Vee's seem to go for big bucks, even used.

Although it only takes 5 mins to pull 4 pins, I already wish my bucket and pusher had QA when it will come time to move gravel......but not paid by the hour anymore here.

The big guys just seem to slip fit the pushers on the front of the bucket so they can drop them to load trucks.

#27 · (Edited)
Just to get this thread back on the first page of my subscriptions, I'm gonna post some pics.
Not doing much right now on any of my projects.
Wrote off my truck last week and I'm on light duty only.
All the more time for MTF!!!

Here is the engine that was in the machine when I bought it.
Insufficient in the first place, and seized up good when I got it.
I had no intention of even trying to fix it, so I sold it for something like $15.
The guy that came to buy it ended up taking a fancy to one of my tractors, and he bought that too.

Motor vehicle Auto part Vehicle Technology Engine

Once again, I was too hasty to get this thing fixed and didn't take ANY before pictures :fing20:
I assure you the bucket looked horrible.
The bottom had rusted out and the "repair" was to just weld a new "plate" (or piece of tin) over top and not even cut out the old bottom.
Dirt tended to pack up between the two pieces.
This was unacceptable to me, so the second repair (after the engine swap) was to rebuild the bucket better.

Wood Gas

And again, sorry for no in process fabrication pictures.
When I get on a roll I don't stop for nothing.

I used 3 pieces of 3/16" plate to fix the bottom.
I didn't have one piece that was big enough.
The seams are over the pieces of flat bar on the bottom, fully welded and ground flat.
I also added some angle to reinforce the bottom edges and fully welded the cutting edge.
Also I cut off one of the flanges for the pins that was badly worn and made a new one that I welded on.

Turned out to be a 2 day job and took up a full weekend.

I ended up just spray bombing it black, haven't been able to find a paint that matches the yellow.

Anybody know what color this thing is?????

#28 ·
What was that engine that came out GB. Looks like a PA power Fist?

#29 ·
Bingo, Larry.
A 15 hp Power Fist Honda clone.

The guy who bought it opened it up and said water got in and rusted the cylinder. Not sure if he got it running or not.

The PO who installed it didn't get the belts lined up good enough.
The offset of the engine required him to do a little adjusting of the frame with a sledge hammer, and he still didn't get it right!

It kept chewing belts so he got discouraged and parked it.
The engine was in good condition, practically new, when he parked it.
It sat outside for a few years with a poorly designed exhaust and took on a bit of water.

#32 · (Edited)
1816 got quite a bit of use over the long weekend.
No big issues, but I noticed a small leak in both the lift cylinders.
Not sure if it's the hose or the seals yet, but looks like that might be the next thing to get some attention.

A little action pic from the weekend.
A 36" blower fits nicely in the 42" bucket.

Vehicle Transport Construction equipment Tree Logging

#33 ·
So the 1816 hasn't had a lot of refreshing lately, just use!

It's been busy pushing my junk around and lifting stuff.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Tree Pickup truck

Vehicle Construction equipment Transport Asphalt Car

Tree Vehicle Wood Car Pickup truck

I have had a request for some pictures of the clutch setup.
I didn't have a chance to get any today but will get them up by the weekend.
For starters here's a picture of the engagement handle that I had handy.

Rust Machine Gas Vehicle Metal

And a poor view from the right side of the belts.
That's about all you can see with it all put together!

Rust Auto part Wire Engine Metal

The belt for the left drive pump started squealing a month or so ago.
I sprayed it with some belt dressing and it quieted right up and gripped fine.
Had to spray it once or twice since.
I think new belts are in the near future...

#34 ·
I was lucky enough to find one also... can't wait to get it running! I have a wisconsin (Ducati) twin diesel that runs excellent that we are putting in.... Goona hook it up direct, unless I can find a new centrifugal clutch... the one I have is welded up and was attached to, believe it or not, a toyota 4 cyl..... should have seen it! Of course no pics! Anyways, nice to hear old iron is being used elsewhere besides here..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.