My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 4 huge maple trees on my property. Moved in here last summer in June -- must have just missed this yellow flower drop wave last year. See pics below.

Trying to do what's best for the lawn. I'm mulching the grass clippings (always less than 1/3 height cut each time), so it occurred to me maybe I should just let this carpet of yellow maple flowers also sit there in the grass as more mulch. Or should I get rid of it? Will it significantly affect the acidity of the soil and hurt the grass to just let it decompose in place?

I have a Cyclone Rake so sucking all this up is no problem, just wondering if I should. Advice?

Hey, who painted my driveway? I'll be clearing the driveway of course...

Yellow yellow everywhere...

Here's what these look like close up:

Got icing on the tree bed now!

Closer shot of the ground cover:

Closer in:

Here's the type of tree these flowers are coming from. You can just make out a few flowers that are left in there around the center of the photo. One of the other maples still has quite a few flowers left yet to fall...

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I have them on my drive too. I just take the blower and blow them on to my neighbors' drive. Tell me I'm not a good neighbor.:sorry1:

Dan

·
Registered
166 Posts
Your fun is just beginning! Wait until the winged seeds start to fall! They love to plug up eve troughs! They cover the ground and take a long time to decompose. If you leave the in the eve trough the seeds will sprout and you will have 12" baby Maples by the end of summer. Ask me how I know!

Bob

·
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I've had the maple whirly-birds where I lived before, but I think the maples I had there either didn't produce flowers, or if they did they must have been much less productive. It was never a yellow carpet.

Did you know the whirly-birds are technically fruit?

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
My current crop of "yellow maple stuff" is currently breaking down in the lawn to become fertilizer for the grass AND the same maple trees which compete with the lawn for nutrients.

If you have sharp blades the soon to appear "helicopter/pollynose/whirlybirds" will also contribute to the topsoil nutrients. Waste not want not!:D (Hey, that organic stuff is FREE!):D:D OR, bag 'em and put them into your already working compost. They'll be ready for the Fall Compost Harvest Festival.

·
No Longer With Us
126 Posts
What a beautiful sight to bought be surprised with, just incredible ... I'd personally just mulch them (if you don't have a dedicated compost pile/drum somewhere) ... nature has done just fine with these turning into a part of the thatch layer all these years (and the grass still looks healthy around the trees) - by mulching them you will only be making that process easier - not like they are a foreign entity to the lawn or anything

plus, they really are beautiful, especially up close - great pics!

·
Administrator
21,213 Posts
Leave 'em.

I like the trees with the red leaves in your yard and across the street. Really dress up the property, don't they?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Toolin, I thought you painted your driveway cub cadet yellow, it looks awesome! I would mulch it all in with the grass.

·
Registered
217 Posts
My yard and drive were carpeted with the yellow fallout from pecan trees. I mulched yesterday all the while wondering if I was really doing the right thing. Really need to get out there and wash my truck as it has quite the yellow tint to it now.:trink40:

·
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like the consensus is to mulch em in.. so they're staying!

Brad, yeah, I like 'em too. Japanese Maples. Got a big one in the back too. Green is great, but it's nice to break it up a bit with other colors. Kinda like having a little hint of fall early. :fing32:

Mark, I guess the driveway being blacktop makes cub colors with the yellow. But the grass and flowers together make Deere colors... guess they're Equal Opportunity flowers.:rolleyes:

Larwyn, do you get actual pecans out of that tree also?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Sounds like the consensus is to mulch em in.. so they're staying!

Brad, yeah, I like 'em too. Japanese Maples. Got a big one in the back too. Green is great, but it's nice to break it up a bit with other colors. Kinda like having a little hint of fall early. :fing32:

Mark, I guess the driveway being blacktop makes cub colors with the yellow. But the grass and flowers together make Deere colors... guess they're Equal Opportunity flowers.:rolleyes:

Larwyn, do you get actual pecans out of that tree also?
Year before last we had more pecans than we knew what to do with. Last year just barely enough to support the squirrel population, hoping for more this year. We actually have 4 producing pecan trees around the house and I could usually tell which tree a pecan came from due to the difference in taste. It can actually be quite distracting when the pecans start falling, first you have to remember your hat as they hurt when they hit you in the head and second because I always end up picking up a handful to eat, then another, then another.............:thThumbsU

1 - 11 of 11 Posts