My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
OK, so I've been through two (2) good storms with the new X738, 54" plow, HDAPs all around, and no additional weight other than my 3 point and Imatch. One of the storms was 16" and plowing up and down the driveway was just like driving on an already plowed driveway. The blade took the snow to the pavement, and a lift of the blade pushed the snow over the existing bank and further into the yard. I never even used the diff lock. All hail HDAPs.

Reactions: Merc1973

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I wasn’t satisfied with HDAP’s alone so I added chains. I am quite happy with the chains. I have a few steep hills where awd would be nice. I got a little overconfident after that big storm. With just a bit of shoveling it came right out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
476 Posts
Looking at the pictures it appears you had a similar snow fall to my own. Also looking at the pictures I am reminded of my my GT18 that I got rid of after 37 years of faithful service. Plenty of weight and chains, but stuck all the time.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
We haven't had one appreciable snowfall all year. My Cub 1525 has been sitting with the plow and chains on, untouched since the beginning of December. In fact it was over 70°F yesterday.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I place no fault in the capability of the tractor. That excursion was all me exploring the boundaries on the machines capability.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Just a few minutes with a shovel to clear around the wheels and it came right out.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Got the Versa Turfs on my 425 for snow removal. They are awesome! With weights and filled with fluid they are unstoppable. Had Tru-Powers before and was disappointed with the snow performance. Now this 2wd has the traction of an AWD.
@BadRiv455, What kind of tires did you have on there before the Versa Turfs and how do these compare? thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
@BadRiv455, What kind of tires did you have on there before the Versa Turfs and how do these compare? thanks!
I had the older style Tru-Powers with the skinny lugs. No comparison. The Versa-Turfs are awesome on ice and snow. We had 1/4 of ice and freezing rain and then 2-3 inches of snow on top. I have a fairly steep concrete driveway. I was able to back up the hill with the snowblower on the front! I've never been able to do that! Always had to turn around at the bottom and drive back up.

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
The versa tails look like they have a more aggressive tread. Maybe to much for some. I have not been able to find either in the required 23x10.5x12.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The versa tails look like they have a more aggressive tread. Maybe to much for some. I have not been able to find either in the required 23x10.5x12.
The Versa Turfs were designed for sub compact utility tractors, not so much for garden tractors, so right now they are only offered in the 2 common sizes for SCUTs. 26x12.00-12 and 18x8.50-10. Versa Trails are more or less an ATV tire.

·
Registered
622 Posts
My 318 came from the PO with new HDAPs on the rear and reg front tires. I have a 400' driveway with a steep slope in the center. We've been getting compacted wet snow more lately, sometimes rain after snow here in central Minnesota. I'm pushing a model 49 snowblower and have an angled back blade on the three point hitch. I cannot make it up the slop with the snowblower running and the blade down. I lift the blade when blowing up hill. I try to make most of my runs down hill, but ultimately I have to make a couple runs upslope. The 318 handles it pretty well when I modulate the engine and forward speed. BUT, there are times when the HDAPs (and I have the concrete weights on the back rims plus the weight of the HD backblade) just spin on the ice under the snow. At the end of the drive, where the street plow mounds a pile against our drive I often get stuck on slick compacted snow when the blower is downslope. I just spin and dig in. Typically using the blackblade to lever the tractor to the left and get a bit of grip. Sometimes its a real headache. 8 out of 10 times however, the HDAPs do great and I am really surprised. If the machine was a bit bigger (420 say) or I have AWD, I think that would move me to 9.5 times out of 10. The worst thing is when the front end lifts and I cannot steer as the blower digs in, but I've learned to manage that and get stuck less. FWIW, I've never used the tires with the chains that came with the machine and 90% of my drive is gravel.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Ariens, Amazon has the Carlisle All Trail for $88 prime shipped. Good luck finding a cheaper HDAP! Started this thread because I was looking at the Versa Turf but they were almost twice as much. I just couldn’t convince myself they would be that much better.

Frank, if you own chains you should give them a try. They make a HUGE difference. I used them on my 318 with a 54 plow. You can lift the front wheels right off the ground and push a full blade of snow or slop with decent weight on the back. You can also help steer with the split brakes. That is the one feature from my 318 that I really miss on the 425. To be fair, I also really miss the panels on the front end. The plastic on the 425 is fragile at best.

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
I found chains and truff tires to be worthless on my gravel drive. Am still trying to work the holes out that got dug while removing snow. The chains wore out with year around use. Switched to ags and have no problems without chains and the same weight.
I have more than one tractor and was looking to put something that would work in both forward and reverse. If HDAP tires still require chains I will just keep looking.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts