My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
This is the first tire oriented thread I have read through. I have been through my share of tires in the past. I found that I required multiple rims with various options to be truly satisfied. Recently (a year plus ago) I went to a newer x7 with HDAPs. They have been so amazing on the lawn, in the dirt and especially in the ice and snow. I guess I assumed that everyone would just be going to these after my experience.

The OP found some great looking tires but why not just go with HDAP they use on the newer machines? Are they outrageously priced? Are others having issue with them that I am not? I really appreciate the feedback fellas.
One usually fits the tyres to the conditions they are to be used in. HDAP or Heavy Duty All Purpose tyres are merely what some manufacturers offer as either options or can be gotten through them. NONE of the manufacturers of tractors make the tyres themselves.
What all manufacturers of tractors provide with their base models for uses where mowing of grass will be a major factor are the standard turf tyres, with some models that is the only thing available. Turf tyres are great for dry level grassed areas. But not everyone has that picture perfect lawn where turf tyres excel. It's when you have conditions where that dry and level aren't that turf tyres fail. Most just try and adapt in many different ways: going faster, going slower and even avoiding an area until conditions improve.
Many are completely unaware that tyres are made in a number of different tread styles & sizes other than the turf or HDAP ones that a manufacturer offers. Even the manufacturers of the smaller lawn & garden tractors know this, they just don't tell you. Look at almost any L & G tractor and look at the space between the tyre and the fender. Most mowing deck mountings are adjustable for larger tyres to be used even on the original rim. ATV or All Terrain Vehicles use many of the same standard rims that L & G tractors use. Why not take a look at the many different tread styles of ATV tyres to fit the conditions where you are?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
My HDAP tires on my X500 do well in muddy sod, as well as almost all snows.

The only issue is when snow is over 5 inches deep and VERY wet. Ruts can become hard polished so that almost any garden sized tire, without sharp chains, will tend to spin. The differential lock usually solves these quickly, otherwise, I don't have to use the differential lock at all.

If I ever wear out the HDAPs, I guess I'd have to look seriously at these new designs.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
If they are anything like their truck and Ag tires, THEY are junk. Guess it wouldn't matter much on a lawn tractor. Nothing much lost if they fall apart or blow out.

·
Registered
476 Posts
If they are anything like their truck and Ag tires, THEY are junk. Guess it wouldn't matter much on a lawn tractor. Nothing much lost if they fall apart or blow out.

You have to specify who they is, and blanket statements are useless. If you know of specific problems then you should state those facts as innuendo is useless in all cases.

And not matter on a lawn tractor?? It would matter to me if I were on the side of a hill, blew out a rear tire and myX738 and attachment(s) rolled over on me and killed me.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
You have to specify who they is, and blanket statements are useless. If you know of specific problems then you should state those facts as innuendo is useless in all cases.

And not matter on a lawn tractor?? It would matter to me if I were on the side of a hill, blew out a rear tire and myX738 and attachment(s) rolled over on me and killed me.

Agreed completely. I want real info, not just grumpy slander. How about some facts that help you form those opinions? How about some brands and models that you like and why?

I have spent more money on tires over the years than I will probably ever spend on garden tractors.

I run Conti’s in the summer, Good years in the winter on my car, Michelin’s on my truck and Hoosiers on my race car. Last time I checked I have 32 wheels with tires mounted just for my race car. I give lots of thought to tire purchases and have different requirements for different applications and conditions.

I chose the cheap Carlisles all tracks because they were 4 ply hdap design, a reasonable size for my 425 and a really good price. The only other choice that I found close was a Kenda, and they were $100 more for the pair.

Once I mount them up and run them I will certainly give feedback.

·
Registered
9 Posts
To everyone worried about the "forward bias" of the tread design, Carlisle states that because this tire is a radial, "it is the tire to have for snow" in their exact words. If you look at the tires used on larger equipment by commercial snow removal companies, they have all gone to similar designed tires. I can't wait to get my snow removal tractor outfitted with these. Almost ordered some from Miller until I found out how much the shipping was. Waiting for other dealers, and the fronts to become available. Here's a pic from the 'gram of a company that I follow.

Attachments

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I tried the hdap’s today in our first snow. They were much better than turfs but no substitute for chains. I’ll try them with chains tomorrow since we have more fun coming in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
458 Posts
I don't think anything was a substitute for chains and weight today. That stuff was nasty. I think I peeled it off the driveway not plowed it. What it lacked in depth it made up for in weight.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
The Versa Turfs are definitely a nice looking tire. I wish they'd offer them in some more conventional "lawn/garden tractor" sizes. I need new rear tires on my Cub Cadet too.

·
Super Moderator
16,285 Posts
I let Tim try the tires out first this winter. I have been real Happy with Kenda Terra Trac version of the HDAP Had them almost 6 years On the rear of My X748 Have had the front Ones for almost 5 years. Last year I added the Kenda Terra Trac Rears to My GX335 Now if they ever Make the Carlisle Versa Turf in 23X10.5 I Might get them for My Cub Cadet XT3 GSX. (y)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Saw this in a CL ad tonight and made me think of this thread. Dummies put the tires on backwards.
1026r tires on backwards.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
Saw this in a CL ad tonight and made me think of this thread. Dummies put the tires on backwards.
View attachment 2441088
I've heard of people deliberately putting directionals on the front backwards for some reason or another. Maybe someone who's done it will reply with their reasoning.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Its someone who has learned the hard way that having your nose down with a forward biased tire sucks if you need to back up.

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
Its someone who has learned the hard way that having your nose down with a forward biased tire sucks if you need to back up.
If AWD works great for backing out of places. Otherwise lug tread doesn't work so well in reverse.
That's what I was thinking. My directional ATVs on my RWD tractor are terrible uphill in reverse

·
Premium Member
3,101 Posts
I am dyslexic and manage to put my shoes on in the right direction. Now if I could only make a sentence that other could understand. It requires some diligence.
I dont know what advantage have them reversed would play on steering control. Still think its for traction in reverse.

·
Registered
458 Posts
With r1s you can feel it in the steering going forward on deep sloppy surfaces and it is definitely a negative but noticeably worth it when backing up a bank. Id flip mine normal for brush hogging or mowing but the rest of the time ran them backwards especially in the winter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got the Versa Turfs on my 425 for snow removal. They are awesome! With weights and filled with fluid they are unstoppable. Had Tru-Powers before and was disappointed
with the snow performance. Now this 2wd has the traction of an AWD.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Darn you.. I was trying to resist.. hoping for a bad review ... HAHA!!

those look awesome!!! thanks for sharing.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts