My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Have you looked at the ATV style tyres? They come in many different tread patterns. The material of the tyre is usually softer which means it doesn't chew up the lawn, yet still lasts a long time. Many here on these forums have had good results with the Bearcat, Ocelot or Ambush ATV tyres. I use the Ambush style.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
When the first buyer reports they were bought, hopefully a snow video gets posted as well.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,667 Posts
Softer tread compound on ATV tires with less plys run at low PSI will grip slick surfaces much better than a 4 or 6 ply stiff tire--thicker plys are fine if you have puncture prone areas to mow full of big thorns or other things,but overall the ATV tires work better in snow and slick mud,without chains..with chains they ride a lot smoother than bias ply old tires too..

·
Registered
370 Posts
Agreed on the forward bias comment, but I also wonder if by cutting the tread into blocks they were able to mitigate some of that compared to a R1 tire. It does provide more cutting edges with the block design vs the single long bar.

Just throwing out a guess here. Not a tire tread analysis guy by any means...
I bet they are far better than a r1 in the snow but still no comparison to a hdap. Im considering them for mowing as the back two and a half acres of my property is pretty rough but i dont want to trash my lawn and hdaps tend to hold onto my glacial till and clay then deposit it in the garage and driveway. But that would be a two sets of wheels solution which of course is one more thing to store.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I’ve been thinking of getting some HDAP’s for winter work but maybe I should look at these since they claim that they’ve been designed with snow in mind. Who’s going to be the first one to pull the trigger?
Looks like the same R3 plus radials that Deere has been putting on the 2-series for a year or so now. You could go to the MCUT forum and ask how people like them. I've only heard good things about them.

Rob

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
Agreed on the forward bias comment, but I also wonder if by cutting the tread into blocks they were able to mitigate some of that compared to a R1 tire. It does provide more cutting edges with the block design vs the single long bar.

When I saw the pic of the tread I hoped they would grip better in reverse than directional tires. My ATVs are pretty blocky and grip insanely well going forward but are terrible in reverse. I've had times when I'm facing downhill in a holler trying to back up and wondering why I'm going nowhere, look down and I'm spinning.

It's crazy to grip so great forward and so poor in reverse.

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The reverse traction has me concerned. I think I’m going to cheap out and go for the 25x10.5x12 Carlisle All Trail on Amazon for $72.89 each. They are 4 ply and have enough load rating to cover my needs. That’s really cheap compared to the other Carlisles or even the Kendas.

I want to use my 425 wheels for these tires so I think a full 26x12x12 is too wide.

I will keep the 455 wheels I have with 26x12x12 Tru Powers for any nasty dirt work.

I’ll report back once I get them on and play in the snow. After two mornings in the teens I am done worrying about leaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Maybe we can talk Forest into trying the Veras Turfs on his X748. Then he can give a really comprehensive review compared to the R4’s and the HDAP’s. I’d be willing to mount them to support the cause.

·
Registered
427 Posts
When I saw the pic of the tread I hoped they would grip better in reverse than directional tires. My ATVs are pretty blocky and grip insanely well going forward but are terrible in reverse. I've had times when I'm facing downhill in a holler trying to back up and wondering why I'm going nowhere, look down and I'm spinning.

It's crazy to grip so great forward and so poor in reverse.
Just another modified AG tire.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Maybe we can talk Forest into trying the Veras Turfs on his X748. Then he can give a really comprehensive review compared to the R4’s and the HDAP’s. I’d be willing to mount them to support the cause.

Oh sure, drag me into this.. HAHA!!... Here I am trying to be good, saying to myself.. " I don't need another set of tires.." Between the R4s on the X748 and the set of HDAPs I already have mounted that came with the X that I was thinking of getting loaded for snow duty, plus I already have 2 sets of rears for the 455, ( one loaded for winter and unloaded for summer), another set is NOT what I need...hmm maybe I know someone that would buy my extra set and that would leave me with no option BUT to buy these!!! :tango_face_devil:

These do look very sweet... where did you say you were thinking of getting these from?? :tango_face_angel:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Oh sure, drag me into this.. HAHA!!... Here I am trying to be good, saying to myself.. " I don't need another set of tires.." Between the R4s on the X748 and the set of HDAPs I already have mounted that came with the X that I was thinking of getting loaded for snow duty, plus I already have 2 sets of rears for the 455, ( one loaded for winter and unloaded for summer), another set is NOT what I need...hmm maybe I know someone that would buy my extra set and that would leave me with no option BUT to buy these!!! :tango_face_devil:

These do look very sweet... where did you say you were thinking of getting these from?? :tango_face_angel:
Hmmmm, I’m in the market for some HDAP’s & not too far away :howdy:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The only place I found so far is Miller tire on line. Mail order doesn’t scare me since I have a tire machine.

Forest, what do you use to load your tires and where do you get it?

·
Proud JD Owner
1,730 Posts
Looks nice, but I'm sticking with my HDAP's. Hard to beat those in the Winter.

·
Registered
856 Posts
The only place I found so far is Miller tire on line. Mail order doesn’t scare me since I have a tire machine.

Forest, what do you use to load your tires and where do you get it?

Wait..wait..wait... you have a Tire Machine?!? Hello best friend!!!!:tango_face_grin:

I've always gone to Padulas to get them loaded, but after the last debacle they might not want to do them again for me..lol I was going to check a couple local shops to see if anyone else does them around here. If not, I could always go the washer fluid route.

Fishwater.. sent a PM..

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wait..wait..wait... you have a Tire Machine?!? Hello best friend!!!!:tango_face_grin:

I've always gone to Padulas to get them loaded, but after the last debacle they might not want to do them again for me..lol I was going to check a couple local shops to see if anyone else does them around here. If not, I could always go the washer fluid route.

Fishwater.. sent a PM..
Responded to the PM....

·
Parts collector
2,884 Posts
Ha Ha Yeah I have friends like that too since I have a tire machine also. :tango_face_grin:

I found HDAP tire for $99 a piece on line. I may just go for it and load them with washer fluid since I have a couple spare pairs of rear rims. :tango_face_grin:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

I couldn’t pass up this price. They are supposed to arrive tomorrow.

·
Parts collector
2,884 Posts

I couldn’t pass up this price. They are supposed to arrive tomorrow.

:thThumbsU heck yeah! I'll take that!

Man I had to do a couple searches to find them at that price. But I found them. I find it interesting that the smaller 23-10.5-12's are more $$$ than the 25's WHAT! :tango_face_surprise

Gonna have to check the bank account and see if I can swing them this week. I've been wanting a pair of these and they will interchange on all 4 of my tractors. :tango_face_devil:

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is the first tire oriented thread I have read through. I have been through my share of tires in the past. I found that I required multiple rims with various options to be truly satisfied. Recently (a year plus ago) I went to a newer x7 with HDAPs. They have been so amazing on the lawn, in the dirt and especially in the ice and snow. I guess I assumed that everyone would just be going to these after my experience.

The OP found some great looking tires but why not just go with HDAP they use on the newer machines? Are they outrageously priced? Are others having issue with them that I am not? I really appreciate the feedback fellas.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts