My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the new Carlisle Versa Turf rear tires? The look like they could be a nice mix of HDAP and AG's, all in one tire. My AG's on the back of my 425 are really beating up my soft lawn as I am mowing up all the leaves right now.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
That is a good looking tire.

-------------------------------------
Designed with a radial construction for improved flotation, the Versa Turf reduces turf disturbance while maximizing traction with its 60% deeper tread depth compared to a standard R3 tire design. Engineered with superior mud-shedding performance by featuring self-cleaning breaker bars in the tread and rounded shoulders. The radial construction and thread design make this the tire to have in snow and ice.

Product highlights:

Design reduces turf damage during turns while improving traction in all conditions
Deep tread design for optimal performance in all soil and turf conditions.
Self-cleaning breaker bars in the tread and rounded shoulders​

https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/our-products/product-detail/versa-turf
Left is rear, right is front even if pic sizes confuse this.

Attachments

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,500 Posts
I don't know, but this YouTube channel has a review:

·
Parts collector
2,778 Posts
Those versa turfs look cool!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the 4 ply load rating better than the 2 ply Field Trax. Since I have a 3 point hitch and a loader, I think I could overload the HDAP's. My local Carlisle dealer doesn't have them yet, but he is going to check if he can get them for me.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I dont think I'd give the HDAPs up in the Winter but having something that cleaned out a little better in the Summer would be nice.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I’ve been thinking of getting some HDAP’s for winter work but maybe I should look at these since they claim that they’ve been designed with snow in mind. Who’s going to be the first one to pull the trigger?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ve been thinking of getting some HDAP’s for winter work but maybe I should look at these since they claim that they’ve been designed with snow in mind. Who’s going to be the first one to pull the trigger?
I'm dangerously close. I'm hoping Pete's Tire Barn can get them, if not, I will likely pay the shipping from Miller. Pete's also sells Rim Guard so I could run over to Shrewsbury and get the tires and the Rim Guard in one stop. It also helps to pay cash locally to avoid explaining the charge to my lovely accountant.

I think I might be able to get away without running chains with these. That would be really cool to keep from beating up my driveway. If not, they look like the tread should work with 2 link chains.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm dangerously close. I'm hoping Pete's Tire Barn can get them, if not, I will likely pay the shipping from Miller. Pete's also sells Rim Guard so I could run over to Shrewsbury and get the tires and the Rim Guard in one stop. It also helps to pay cash locally to avoid explaining the charge to my lovely accountant.

I think I might be able to get away without running chains with these. That would be really cool to keep from beating up my driveway. If not, they look like the tread should work with 2 link chains.
Exactly what I’m wondering, thinking of using these without chains if possible. I currently have TerraGrips but if I install my loader frame I’ve read that there isn’t enough clearance so considering HDAP’s or these for snow removal duties.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Seems like a forward biased tire would be a liability in the Winter.

·
Premium Member
6,092 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Exactly what I’m wondering, thinking of using these without chains if possible. I currently have TerraGrips but if I install my loader frame I’ve read that there isn’t enough clearance so considering HDAP’s or these for snow removal duties.
I ran my 580 with HDAPs in mud, snow, up hills on wet grass, etc. Never slipped and almost never used the diff lock. This year I have the new X738 with HDAPs all around, bigger blade, and better hydraulics eliminating that GD manual thing Deere sells for the 48" blade. I can't imagine a better all around tire than the HDAPs, but I'll find out as soon as we get one of our Merrimack Valley 20" storms.

We should have a MA/NH gathering this spring. Everyone can bring their "toys".:tango_face_grin:

·
Registered
360 Posts
what's a "forward biased tire"?.... not being facetious - just truly wondering...
Where the tread pattern favors one direction over the other. I dont think the Field Trax (HDAP) even have a direction of rotation indicator on them. If you mounted these backwards you would significantly reduce your pushing power. I reversed the front R1s on my 4WD CUT for this reason.

I get the choice they made for this tire and why they made it, but I think it probably compromises its performance in the snow compared to a HDAP. Not saying at all it makes it a bad tire, just depends on what you want to do with it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Where the tread pattern favors one direction over the other. I dont think the Field Trax (HDAP) even have a direction of rotation indicator on them. If you mounted these backwards you would significantly reduce your pushing power. I reversed the front R1s on my 4WD CUT for this reason.

I get the choice they made for this tire and why they made it, but I think it probably compromises its performance in the snow compared to a HDAP. Not saying at all it makes it a bad tire, just depends on what you want to do with it.
This would be a major concern for me. Past experience taught me well that backing in snow or loose dirt, AND up hill with AG style tires was a ticket to pain. Too old now to be digging tractors out of the snow, and what I see is the tire is pretty much a modified AG type tire. I could be wrong, so I'll let others try before I buy.:tango_face_devil:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Geesh, traction backing up is also important to me. Great input on this discussion. Now I'm considering the Kenda Terra Trac since they come in a 4 ply in 26x12x12. They are the only HDAP I have found in 4 ply. Anyone with experience please chime in.

·
Premium Member
6,092 Posts
I would love to try those tires! I remember not being able to back my AG tire x485 up a snow covered driveway incline, then with 1/2 the weight my X720 with HDHP tires backed up the same hill no problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Agreed on the forward bias comment, but I also wonder if by cutting the tread into blocks they were able to mitigate some of that compared to a R1 tire. It does provide more cutting edges with the block design vs the single long bar.

Just throwing out a guess here. Not a tire tread analysis guy by any means...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts