My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Joe
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to get a set of these in excellent condition and already mounted on wheels but I am wondering how they'll do when plowing a garden? I could care less about how these skinny things will look.........How will the pull with 55 lbs of weight on each wheel? Photo of them is below.
Joe

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
IMO they should do okay. They would do better on my tractor tho! :sidelaugh

·
Super Moderator
32,665 Posts
Got em" but when I was going to go test them at plow day I ruined one just before and ended up using turfs with chains. I can tell you they are nearly unstoppable pushing through the mud!

·
Joe
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will they do better than the 23 x 10.5 -12s that I am running now? I also have 55 lb weights and chains on it now. Will I need to chain these Super lugs?
Joe

·
Joe
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the tractor they'd go on and this is the current setup shown.. Which will be the better setup for traction?
Joe
P1010624.jpg

P1010623.jpg

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
honestly, i would use the turfs and chains

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
wider tire, will float better over the dirt and not get stuck where as if the ags get stuck, they dig in. chains will compensate for the less agressive tread

·
Small Engine Tech
1,481 Posts
Several guys in our plowing group used turfs and chains for years till they bought a pair of ags. For most every other use, turfs work great, and with chains even better. Ags and chains are almost worthless on pack snow and ice. Turfs with good chains are almost unstoppable. When its actualy time for new rear tires, look into the Fieldtrax HDAP tires or Alltrails, which are similar. They are a cross between an ag tire and a turf tire. Used often on John Deere's X series tractors. Mike

·
Super Moderator
32,665 Posts
Just hope you don't get into any mud with those wide turfs on without chains. You're going to understand the meaning of "sit and spin".

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
When it comes to mud.....even ags slip. I've got 24-10x12's on my cub with 150# on em....plus my 200#.....when hauling timber through the bog area of my property I need to hit it with enough speed to keep it moving, or it will just stop.
On the other side ( dry, or rich soil), I can haul an eighteen wheeler with my machine in 1st gear....or powershift into 2nd once moving.
In snow, I'm good, but my neighbor's Wheelhorse with 6x12's can pull me around like a sled because the narrower tire cut through the snow to ground better.

As for turfs w/chains.....had them on two years ago. When compared to the ag's in any way, they are no match whatsoever.

I think the only place chains will bite better, is on ice.

The ag's are even better on turf. They don't even leave tire marks on my bluegrass because the cleats don't flatten the grass.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts