My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
They are used alot in the fire fighting world for our saws. Our chainsaws are used for ventilating (cutting holes) in a burning structure (house), usually on the roof. So usually we are cutting through asphalt shingles, plywood, rafters, nails, metal clips. Regular chains dont care for those materials very much, but carbide chains dont mind it as bad.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can't they be sharpened with diamond disks? I read somewhere someone was saying that he likes diamond disks better then abrasive disks because they hold up better. They don't need to be dressed all the time. If they can be sharpened with diamond and last a long time they could be worth the expense.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
When you're sharpening carbide you can't use an aluminum oxide wheel and instead must use silicon carbide; silicon carbide wears more quickly and is the source of all the wheel dressing. The chains could be sharpened with diamond disks but it'll be a challenge finding a diamond wheel to match anything other than a flat tooth profile, and if you have a flat tooth profile then it's going to require more horsepower to cut at the same speed as a (sharp) steel chain.

I see on eBay that there are also listings for "carbide coated" chains. It seems like that would be akin to slathering the sides of a knife with carbide -- how does that help?

·
Premium Member
5,741 Posts
When I had my rental business, I used a Borazon whell made by Northern Precision. It was a steel hub with an abrasive carbide surface. Cost was about $200, and they would last about a year in heavy use. They were not suitable for carbide chains, though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
how does wheel replace the file?

I don't quite get how a flat wheel can do the work of a file? The file is round and files out the round cut. How does the blade do that? Does it turn the chain into a flat instead of curved sharp edge?

don

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.