My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Gun Toting Democrat.
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I just went through rebuilding a Briggs 190402 0858. I got it all back together last night. I set the carb mixture screws at 1 1/2 turns out and started it. I got the high speed tuning set and went to set the low speed and got that set. Then I started to play with the throttle to make sure it would speed up and slow down smoothly. When I jammed it full throttle, it died. I tried to restart it and all I got was pops and sputters. Took spark plug out and it was black and covered in gas so I cleaned it. I also compression checked it and it's got almost 100 PSI. It's got spark and compression and I know that the timing is on because I replaced all ignition components and gapped to spec. I know the carb is getting fuel too. How should I tune this carburetor? What does the popping and sputtering tell you?

·
Gun Toting Democrat.
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. I literally got done with it 5 minutes ago. My stupid a$$ filled it with oil on a driveway with a steep slope. It was over full and oil was getting in the combustion chamber. Got it level and drain it to right level and now it runs like a scalded cat.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Thats a strange fix, one would thing it would smoke, or foul the plug, instead of just cutting off and popping.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts