My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the carb kit ordered (Thanks Brian) for the 446.
My question is in regards to the intake manifold. It looks solid and the gasket doesn't appear to have any breaks. Should I leave it be or take it apart and re-seal it? I assume that it has never been worked on before.
Thanks

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
If you take it apart NOW and reseal it, then it will not be a suspect problem. If you leave it and you are still having issues, then you will wonder whether it IS leaking somewhere and you just didn't see it.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
2,552 Posts
Just to clarify. I believe PRW is referring to separating the halves of the intake manifold casting. There are no gaskets for that, as it was permanently (in most cases ...) assembled at the factory.

There are certainly incidents of these leaking, but I would suggest it is not a super common issue. This one I tend to favor 'don't fix what isn't broken'. I've heard cases of difficulties with first time success trying to reseal it.

If you have a vacuum leak issue after putting everything back together, it is not all day surgery to pop the intake back off ...

I don't have a specific recommendation on sealer, but it must be good with gasoline.

Just my thoughts ...

Brian

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Where is Boomer when you need him? :fing32: I don't remember what the sealant is that has been found to be successful but I'm sure he will know. I'm not disagreeing with Brian per se'. I come from the school of "leave no stone unturned" because once I put something back together, I loathe having to take it apart a second time. It's a judgment call that only you can make and Brian's judgment is certainly no more defective than mine is on this issue. All either of us can tell you for sure is that "others" have reported being driven crazy trying to figure out why their Onan won't behave and then found the problem was the seal between the two halves of the intake manifold.

As they say, YMMV.

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
group.
if indeed we are talking the halves, of the intake manifold, i have not yet found any thing i would trust for a sealant.
a friend of mine tig welded his.
thank you. boomer

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
^ I will nominate "Permatex Aviation Form-a-gasket" aka "Black Death"
Not a silicone, so I don`t worry about "globs" coming adrift. I figure if you lap the manifold halves on a piece of glass with valve grinding compound, you can use a nice thin film. Product can be thinned with iso-propyl (SP?) alcohol to the desired consistancy for your project
JMO

EDIT: On the other hand, hard to beat welding !

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
They have been assembling automobile engines with sealer & no gaskets for years. No leaks ... Permatex Gasket Maker ....

:trink40:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts