My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a International 404 that I think has the Marvel Schebler carb on it. I would like to rebuild it but I am leary of doing it. I think it is a 824. I can get a kit for it at the tractor supply close to me. How hard are these to rebuild? I tried to rebuild my 66 ford 352 2 bbl carb twice and finally gave up and bought a rebuilt one. The one on the tractor looks to have less parts. One thing I am leary of is the rods that move. The round dowels that go through it. I wonder if the carb has too much wear around where they go in. I am somewhat mechanical and I rebuild power tools as a hobby. I have rebuilt a lawnmower. So can these be rebuilt by a tractor novice like myself. The best for me would be to get a rebuilt one but I don't want to pay over 250 bucks for a rebuilt one. I could get someone to rebuild it but it would be pricey. I would prefer to do it myself.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The Marvel Schebler carburetors are very easy to rebuild with a kit from A&I or Tisco through your local dealer and sometimes Napa stores. Take a picture of both sides of the carb before you take it apart so you get the throttle and choke rods positioned correctly. Also, pay attention to the gasket/float relationship.

Good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. As far as a carb goes if the shaft or rod that turns if it is worn around the carb how do new kits seal it? I don't know if mine is worn a lot but I suspect it could be. Does it have a brass bearing in the kit you put in? Or is there a way to seal it. Although I don't think I have seen mine leaking it looks like it may have some buildup of stuff there. It could be just were grease has baked on there from the heat. The reason I thnk it could use a good rebuild is sometimes when it runs it will run fine then just sputter and die a lot. I did put a new choke cable on it and sometimes you can pull it out when it acts up and it helps it. But it will act up at times when it is warmed up. Another thing you can do is to move the throttle, or the lever to the left of the steering wheel, up and down to make it run. Then it will level off and un somewhat.

The weird thing about it is that you can have two days the same temperature and do the same thing with the tractor and it act totally different. One day you can go out and bush hog for a few hours and it run fine. Then the next day under the same conditions I can run it a few minutes and I have to quit. It will sputter and just about quit. I will drive it to my shed and just park it. It runs like one that needs carb rebuilding,I have had two vehicles that I replaced the carbs that acted similar. I would like to fix this up as I go, fix this, have the radiator cleaned and patched,put new seals in the hydralics then if I feel confident rebuild the engine. Rebuilding the engine is the one item I might get someone to do. Anyway thats the way the carb is doing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts