My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 12hp craftsman with a briggs and the thing is dumping gas in the muffler and crankcase when it sits if I dont turn off the gas. I figured out a temporary fix for that which was to install a shutoff valve and use it. Im almost certain this is gonna be something in the carb but what? When I open up the carb is there something common to look for?
Now that was bad enough but now the thing doesnt seem to want to run right.. it seems to be starving for fuel. When its running really crappy if I shoot a bit of ether in there it perks right up and runs smooth till the ether burns off.
Think this is related or should I be looking for TWO things when I get in the carb?
I pulled the carb off earlier and will take it apart later and try to figure out what needs done so I can order some parts or if its bad enough run to sears and buy a rebuild kit. They have it in stock.

Thanks for any info.. been a horrible year for me with mowers.. this is the third used rider Ive had this year that quickly had problems. Next year im buying SOMETHING brand new.. may not be a great one but I will get at least a year out of it without major issues! LOL

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your float is stuck it sounds like.
I figured that was probably the problem on the gas leaking.. think that could also cause the running issue?

·
Repair Shop Owner
15 Posts
Yes the float is sticking open change the oil ASAP!! If you run it with gas in the oil it will burn the crank bearings out and score the cyclinder walls and the motor won't last long. As for the running issue you will need to take the carb apart and pull the jets, float, fuel needle and adjustment needles and clean everything cause it sounds like its clogged up.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah when it first leaked I pulled the dipstick and smelled it and it smelled like gas so I changed it then went to cut the yard and this running issue happened. I will pull apart the carb in a bit and see what I see. Probably be back with more questions :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didnt see anything noticable in the carb. The float is not sticking and i dunked it in a cup of water and held it under for a few minutes and it doesnt seem to leak. The needle seems ok and the rubber on the tip is soft and not damaged. All of the passages that I can get to are clear. The main jet is clear. The only thing I really noticed in there was that it is pretty corroded.
I cleaned it up real good and put it back together... now im questioning whether or not im actually getting as much fuel to the carb as I should be. Now I need to either drive 14 miles to get a carb gasket or make one or something to put it back on and see what is next.

The one thing I did notice when taking it off the machine is that the governer didnt have a spring on it and the only thing attached to it was a bar that was loose on the other end.. wonder if that could be the cause of my running issue.

If the governer doesnt help then I guess I am down to running a line straight from the tank to the carb to make sure im getting enough gas.. if so then maybe the shutoff is restricting the flow... but if I unhook the gas line at the carb a decent amount seems to come out but im betting it COULD be stronger. May even have a partially clogged filter I guess.
This is frustrating :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Had this prob on a kohler, i had to buy a new carb, cleaning it didnt work for me and either did rebuilding it. Your tractor is better than most of the new junk out there, new stuff breaks down all the time, just read some of the posts. The carb has to be the prob about the flooding issue.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats great.. they dont have a new carb for mine. Its discontinued.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have adapted all kinds of carbs to Briggs , Honda, Onan and some i forgot about
Trick is to find one with a flang that will mount to the manifold.
Carbs all do the same thing , mix fuel and air so hit the junk yard and find something that looks clean and comes close then start bending wire coat hangers or the like to maks linkage
Sounds harder then it realey is
Dave

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its a Model #281707-0412-01

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have adapted all kinds of carbs to Briggs , Honda, Onan and some i forgot about
Trick is to find one with a flang that will mount to the manifold.
Carbs all do the same thing , mix fuel and air so hit the junk yard and find something that looks clean and comes close then start bending wire coat hangers or the like to maks linkage
Sounds harder then it realey is
Dave
They may all do the same job but I would have to assume they do it at different volumes and ratios. I cant go take a carb off a 1000 motorcycle and throw it on a 250 and expect it to run right. I would assume lawnmowers are no different.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well, they still make the carb i found one on partstree.com, but then it is 224 bucks. Im not saying you need a new carb, but if it comes down to it i would shop around, maybe look on ebay? You could also try rebuilding it. And im not sure on just adapting carbs, its like putting a holley 800 cfm on an engine that needs a 650 cfm.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For 225 bucks I could buy a comparable mower.. LOL
The rebuild kit doesnt include anything that I need as far as I can tell.. everything in the rebuild kit looks ok.
Im gonna mess with it and see what I can pull off.

·
TE Writer!
1,732 Posts
Take it to a shop. I charge $65.00 for a total rebuild, sand blasting and everything. It will be in new condition. Only thing that will stop a rebuild is excessive pitting.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where are you in illinois?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ive pulled the carb and got it back on now.. it seems to be MUCH better but still not right.
I dont even know what I did aside from cleaning everything and adjusting it.. maybe it was adjustment all along.. who knows.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
At higher engine speeds it goes up and down up and down.
At idle it purrs smooth as can be.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts