My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old 5hp Tecumseh engine that is installed on a Toro front tine tiller. I lent the tiller out and it came back with the carb body broken almost in half. Has anyone tried an epoxy repair on this area? I was thinking about tearing it down, cleaning the hound out of it and JB welding the break. Before I do all that I was wondering if anyone had any success with that approach. I have JB welded gas tanks and radiators before and they have held for years.

Any thoughts???

·
Vet-Wrencher
253 Posts
This is news noone relliy likes to hear but potmetal is the stuff carbs are made out of. It's a zinc alloy for the correct police. No potmetal has ever liked to be repaired. Expecially if it is an are which contains gas (a crucial area) It is a junk metal. It cannot be repaired, it cannot be soldered and it cannot be welded. The repair may hold temporarily but thats just what it will be. A temporary hold. Thats what ya get when you lend stuff out. I quit doin that along time ago. :banghead3

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Curious Q; is this an "H 50" or an HS-50??? If an H (without the "S") or an HH (cast iron version) and you wind up with a different carb, I could use the throttle shaft out of it, along with the butterfly, screw and little spring that slides onto the shaft and hooks up to the shaft and rests on the carb body.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have had acceptable results using a "solder" I purchased from J.C.Whitney.
I have been able to join aluminum to aluminum, thin steel to aluminum, and various "potmetals" back together with this stuff. You use a propane torch to heat the repair area, so tear down and clean with water before firing the torch. I haven't used it to seal fuel-vapors or gases, but done carefuly I don't see why it wouldn't work.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have an old 5hp Tecumseh engine that is installed on a Toro front tine tiller. I lent the tiller out and it came back with the carb body broken almost in half. Has anyone tried an epoxy repair on this area? I was thinking about tearing it down, cleaning the hound out of it and JB welding the break. Before I do all that I was wondering if anyone had any success with that approach. I have JB welded gas tanks and radiators before and they have held for years.

Any thoughts???

Let the person you lent it to pay for the repair.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,421 Posts
I'd buy a new or used carb,dont waste your cash and time trying to epoxy or "weld" it with that aluminum welding rod stuff,it takes considerable skill and probably wont work..in a pinch just about any Tecumseh carb off a 3.5-7 hp engine will get it to run,I have swapped push mower carbs onto many 5-7 HP Tecumsehs and had no issues,some of the throttle levers are different though and the original linkages might not work correctly..a brand new carb will run about 50+ bucks,but I bet you can find a suitable used one at a lawnmower boneyard for 10-15 bucks..I'd look at the dump or scrapyards first,if they let you "pick" in your area..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts