My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot has happened since the late 1800s when automobiles debuted. Technology has evolved greatly and then the muscle car era arrived in the 60s. Styling has changed greatly. But to riding mowers most of the change is mechanical. Some do get hood scoops and drink holders and there have been a few Indy 500 editions but not much else exciting. Why not a big chrome Crazyhorse on the front of the hood? Like the Trans Am, why not something like a big screaming firechicken on the hood? Why not a Hurst Edition Toro?

·
Registered
519 Posts
You might have some thing here. Maybe collector editions. If some manufactorer out there thinks that there is a buck to be made this way I'm sure that we will see them.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
The hurst edition sounds good,,,, if Linda Vaughn,,, ,Miss hurst ,,,could sign the hood,,,,:thThumbsU
Throw some hurst mag wheels, a hood tach and a shifter in the package and a red white and blue paint job like the old AMC AMX's and ScRambler. It would be sweet.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
i was in a truck stop last night, and by my booth was a framed 57 chevy sales add ............... i thought what dont they build cars like that anymore, that was pure style

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Why don't ducks have lips ?? Because they would serve no purpose ..

Its the same thing with gingerbread on lawn and garden tractors .. Like people want to spend extra $$$ for a chicken decal on the hood. :fing20:

I don't know about the rest of my fellow MTF'ers .. looking "Cool" while cutting my grass .. or doing other tasks around my property .. is NOT real high on my list.

Now if I was a "Teenager" looking to impress the "teen girls" then maybe. O to be young and dumb again :Stop:

·
Administrator
5,954 Posts
Have noticed that the tractor hoods have become more streamlined, like the cars.....After all, you have to cut down on wind turbulence........at 3 mph

·
Retired Mod
3,734 Posts

Its the same thing with gingerbread on lawn and garden tractors .. Like people want to spend extra $$$ for a chicken decal on the hood. :fing20:

I don't know about the rest of my fellow MTF'ers .. looking "Cool" while cutting my grass .. or doing other tasks around my property .. is NOT real high on my list.

Now if I was a "Teenager" looking to impress the "teen girls" then maybe. O to be young and dumb again :Stop:
thats what i'm thinking Ken. :fing32:

us "tractor guys" wouldnt spend the $ on it and the "others" could care less about it lol.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
How about a "Classic John Deere Edition" X700 series. Boxy and square like 3 and 4 hundreds of old with the new modern guts. A simple metal boxy hood/fender assembly shouldn't cost all that much over the green solidified petrochemical based materials used in regular JD's. AND I'D GLADLY spend a little extra to go for "retro" with less "noise reduction"... AND I wouldn't care if the steel WAS recycled!:D

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
Or the Chip Foose JD 4020... :thSick:

·
5,525 Posts
I have another spoiler for the racecar I don’t use you can buy if you like to make your GT look cool and go fast. :greendr: :greendr: :greendr:

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
The latest thing for cars is the retro look. I'm afraid if the mower manufacturors did that the show rooms would look like a lot of used tractors. That Simplicity sure does look nice though.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Lots of garden tractors like the Ford,MM,Allis Chalmers,Massey Ferguson and others were styled to look like the larger model tractros being sold at the time.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Lots of garden tractors like the Ford,MM,Allis Chalmers,Massey Ferguson and others were styled to look like the larger model tractros being sold at the time.
..and it continues to today. Newer large tractors have sloped hoods to provide the driver greater visibility, so Deere continues that "look" to their small tractors. And while anything attached to 4'+ ag tires looks cool, the sloped hoods look wimpy on the little LT's. But, everyone else thinks they have to look like Deere...and we wind up with tractors that look like :thSick:

In the automotive world, you see several retro-looking cars. (Although Ford cannot leave the Mustang alone, and keeps making it lok more 'aero') There are also vehicles like the Ram and Mitsu Evo that started using a longer hood with backwards sloping grill (reverse "areo" because the longer hood visually appears to have more power, like the classic Suburbans ) We could hope some of that logic starts returning to GT's.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
I have seen 1 of those Simplicitys; when it came out; the Mom n Pop dealer wanted $5500 for it; I don't think it sold nor are they still in business but I think the guy still has it; I didnt know that H-D had their hands in that machine.

One thing that cars and tractors have in common; the old ones were better in so many ways!

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,653 Posts

Its the same thing with gingerbread on lawn and garden tractors .. Like people want to spend extra $$$ for a chicken decal on the hood.

(HydroHarold) How about a "Classic John Deere Edition" X700 series, boxy and square........with the new modern guts. I'd spensd a little extra to go retro.....
I'm in the same camp as Ken and HH. All the fancy googaws serve no useful purpose and just drive the cost up. How many posts do you see here >> "need a GT that can plow, blow snow, mow 15 acres, climb mountains, pull my boat out of the lake, drag logs through the woods.......for $2000" ? Start adding big decals and chrome and the price goes up and/or the workability goes down.

I'm of the opinion that most lawn equipment aesthetics design is for s**t. Don't try to make any machine I'm interested in buying look like Jimmie Johnson or Dale Jr's NASCAR ride, or even what I have in my driveway. Make it look like a TRACTOR, that's what it is anyway.

I think a X7 series would look great as a retro tractor. I'd vote for one of these two for a hood/grill design, and i got the idea for my side logo from the "80":

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,954 Posts
I'm of the opinion that most lawn equipment aesthetics design is for s**t. Don't try to make any machine I'm interested in buying look like Jimmie Johnson or Dale Jr's NASCAR ride, or even what I have in my driveway. Make it look like a TRACTOR, that's what it is anyway.

:
Same can be said about trucks today....Give me a truck that I can load up and haul something without worrying about a scratch or two....and it doesnt have to hold the whole **** neighborhood

1 - 20 of 23 Posts