My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of the ones I have seen are other sizes. Anybody know where to get a good mulcher blade that will fit my 26 inch comet?

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
IIRC, the Ninja blade was not available for the 26 and 30 inch mowers, as they were not designed to be mulch capable, where the 25, 28, and 33 inch decks were.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IIRC, the Ninja blade was not available for the 26 and 30 inch mowers, as they were not designed to be mulch capable, where the 25, 28, and 33 inch decks were.
Well that sucks. So what would be the 25 inch blade? Think it would work on my mower? Is there any out there for my mower besides a ninja?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
At one time,there were both 25" and 26" Gator blades available.I had just finished a Honda conversion,and talked,on the forum,to a Doctor in central TX,with a 25" RER ,that he also changed to Honda power,,fhe 25" was just right for his lawn & gates,and he couldn't find the 25" Gator,that he used, 26" were available,at that time,so he bought a 26",and had a machinist shorten it to 25". So they made the Gator in both 25",and 26" a few years ago.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am thinking about just getting a 28 inch ninja and trimming an inch off each end.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am thinking about just getting a 28 inch ninja and trimming an inch off each end.
This would not be my first choice. Just making a guess and I easily could be wrong, my 33" ninja blade only has about 4 or 5 inches of sharp on each end of the blade. Removing 1" on each end could be a significant loss.

I have a 33" ninja and a 33" gator mulcher. IMO, the gator blade is a better blade. It seems just a bit harder and stays sharp longer. The ninja certainly looks cooler and nastier with it's forked end but it seems to me the gator blade somehow creates more lift to make the grass stand up and be cut. Looking at the two blades the gator's better lift aspect doesn't seem possible. But in the grass areas smashed down by my front wheels before the blade passes over, I have more grass not cut properly with the ninja than with the gator. This usually happens on the outside of a sharp turn while cutting tall grass.

I have yet to mulch leaves with my ninja but I do know the gator does a great job of mulching leaves. One pass over leaves with my gator and the leaves are broken up fine enough for them to fall through the grass and out of sight. Others here have said the ninja is just as wonderful.

So in conclusion, if you can find a properly sized gator blade, you'd probably be better off than a ninja with possibly 25% of your edge removed. And in addition, if I"m not mistaken, I believe the gator cost is significantly less than the ninja.

But then again, since your deck is not the high vacuum type deck, you may not get the full mulching potential with either blade. The high vacuum mulching deck doesn't have the chute exhaust and holds the grass particles suspended in the cutting area until they are cut multiple times. Your deck is designed to throw and maybe blow the particles out the side as soon as possible.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Good luck trimming a blade- it's a pretty good piece of steel. Besides, you will lose the upper cutting edges that are turned down. I would get a 25" Ninja blade and try it- chances are the deck won't know the difference once you find a way to block the discharge opening.

·
Registered
949 Posts
The block off plate is very important when using a mulching blade. I tried using my 33" Ninja without the blocking plate one fall. Big mistake it just blew the leaves out the debris exhaust chute like a regular blade would. It did some chopping of the leaves but nothing spectacular. I did use the open debris exhaust as an advantage to wind row the leaves into a pile. Then I installed the block off plate and let the Ninja have at it demolishing that pile of leaves into dust.
A block off plate is necessary to close up the blade chamber so the blade can do it's job properly. If your deck does not have a block off plate you can fabricate one from some sheet metal or a piece of heavy plastic + a few bolts & nuts. The factory plastic piece for a Hy Vac fastens in the same manner. As I remember there are holes already drilled on the debris exhaust chute of the non Hy Vac decks to accommodate a grass catcher. So bending/cutting/drilling some sheet metal would be a snap.

HOPE THIS HELPS

·
Registered
2,404 Posts

Here's the way Snapper did it.They mainly turned the "odd shaped", 30" non "hi-vac" deck into a "round"(or almost round deck)like the ,hi-vac deck.The secret to all the "mulchers" is the air flow in the deck,to let the special blade take several cuts,at the grass,until,it is chopped into small pieces.You might not have to be so elaborate,as this,or you might find,a hi-vac(25",28" or 33") deck. I think that all the deck,"shells",are pretty much interchangeable(except for the blade,belt ect..You might look,for a"hi-vac", deck,and change.

·
flop
82 Posts
a mulching kit from snapper is 63092. A mulch blade is 7017360 but its not a ninja. These were made for the 26" walk behinds but the deck is the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts