My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first year the lawn is really getting the better of me. With all the rain and my limited time I can't keep up with the grass. When we have one day of dry weather I have to cut but the grass is still wet. I found the tires seem to knock down the grass. This make it look like I missed a few spots so I end up going over the lawn again. Crazy!!!

Don't get me wrong I love seat time but it's been to much. Anyone else in the same boat? :crybaby:

·
Registered
639 Posts
We(and all my nieghbors and relatives) have been mowing twice a week almost all season. I like the rain, especially since the last two dry years left us with a low groundwater level, but it'd be nice to get in the garden and do some other outside chores other than mowing. Some folks haven't got their gardens completely planted yet.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,654 Posts
Don't get me wrong I love seat time but it's been to much. Anyone else in the same boat? :crybaby:
"Boat" is just about right. This has been the wettest spring in recent memory here in western NC. It will rain for three or four days straight, sometimes a continuous shower, sometimes days of thunderstorms. Finding time to get all the mowing done is difficult for one yard, much less four or five. I'm on the tractor practically every non-rainy day, and mowing my lawns about every 4-6 days.

Luckily, I did get my garden in, and the rain has been great for that. I've been getting squash for a week now, and picked my first green beans today. Cukes are there, but need a couple of days to fill out, and the 'maters and peppers will be coming in in a couple of weeks.

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
Mayor,

We're seeing the effects of the coldest, wettest spring I've ever seen. I'm waaaaay behind in getting down weed treatment, and I've had to lower my cutting height by about 3/4".

·
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The weeds in the mulch beds are also a huge problem.

·
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mayor,

We're seeing the effects of the coldest, wettest spring I've ever seen. I'm waaaaay behind in getting down weed treatment, and I've had to lower my cutting height by about 3/4".
I was thinking about lowering the deck as well.

·
Great Site Good People
6,659 Posts
I took my mower deck off as we have not seen any sign of rain for almost a month and there is no relief coming up in East Texas. My grass sounds crunchy when you walk over it. It has been averaging 95 lately and forecast are showing 102 into next week.
I did get a lot of seat time today with the hoe. Was at the in laws new house digging up 2-4" stumps. Put around 4 hours on the 2305 in this hot *** weather and she performed great.:fing32:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here in Oregon we also have a very wet Spring but mixed with sunny days. The combination of rain and sun make the grass shoot up a foot a week! It's been difficult to keep up with mowing as the grass is long wet and the ground is soggy. I am hoping for a stretch of dry days so I can go spray weeds in the field and pastures.

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
I've been able to spray for weeds once about a week ago and it got most of the clover which had taken over most of the yard. Using the Topsy Turvey tomato trees this year and got a few potatoes and beans in. I can't ever remember a cool wet spring like we've had this year. Mowing about every 4 days or every time I get home which ever comes first. slkpk

·
Collector of many tractors
15,231 Posts
Ha.... I'm the mower at Grizzly tool and there I have 40 acres... At home I only have 20 acres... I live on a Kubota...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Same boat here in MA. Impossible to keep up with all of the ballfields and parks we maintain at work. We have been mowing in the rain, drizzle. At home.......this weather is exactly the reason why I bought the Ultimate mowing machine. I cut last wed. and then yesterday I was cutting off another 3 inches. The fert I put down a few weeks ago is kicking in. I was able to spray for weeds last Tues. With so much wet weather I worry about fungus and rot taking place in the grass. And you have to worry about any big thick clumps mowing this stuff. Either cut it high once, lower and cut again, or try to bag it all. Bagging is good if you don't want to spread any fungus around.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Weather forecast says that the next 15 days are going to be nice, warm, and dry! Major mowing and spraying for two weeks ought to put things back in order. Time to get all the sprayers ready to go!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Blind Ref,
NOT TO CHANGE THE SUBJECT, BUT HOW DO YOU LIKE THE THUMB ATTACHMENT ON YOUR HOE? I'M CONSIDERING GETTING ONE MYSELF.

·
Great Site Good People
6,659 Posts
Blind Ref,
NOT TO CHANGE THE SUBJECT, BUT HOW DO YOU LIKE THE THUMB ATTACHMENT ON YOUR HOE? I'M CONSIDERING GETTING ONE MYSELF.
jdjoey,
It is a very useful tool for holding up trees to cut. Also can grab a very large rocks. It stays out of way when Im trench digging.
Only downside that I know of is that you can't close your backhoe completely without hitting the shaft. I just watch very closely and try to miss the thumb to shaft area while folding the hoe up when finished with task. Overall I do like it.:trink40:

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
Weather forecast says that the next 15 days are going to be nice, warm, and dry!!
good for you guys on the left coast... :trink40:

we are getting for the next week :crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

when there is a 'cloudy' patch, i cut... man, ive never seen so much rain for so many days in a row... :banghead3:banghead3:banghead3

·
Registered
55 Posts
Blind Ref
Thanks for your insight on the thumb attachment, I think it's going to make a nice addition to my JD family!

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
I read the title. "Can't keep up" All that came to mind was "with the wifes spending :ROF :ROF :ROF wonder if she reads this site.. :hide: :hide: :sorry1:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Lots of rain here too! It has been difficult to keep up with the lawn. But on the plus side, we put our garden in extremely early and it's loving it. last night we picked some foot long zuchini, a bucket of sugar snaps, and cut our first round of herbs...a whole lot of herbs! I'm 6'3" and I have a dill plant that I look up to, never seen anything like it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts