My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
So after 4 years of being frustrated with the 44" Piranha deck my (Briggs) GT235 came with when I bought it, I finally committed to getting a proper deck for my property. I bought a 54C deck that was in extremely rough shape off a guy locally for $100 and set myself to restoring it. I ground off as much rust as I could, applied POR15 to bottom and top, painted top Deere yellow and bottom with EZ-Slide graphite, put on new spindles, new idlers one new pulley (others were fine), new belts, new blades/bolts/nuts/etc and new gage wheels. I was feeling extremely satisfied with my project -- it really does look really good now compared to rusty creaky wobbly mess it was when I got it -- and was finally ready to hook it up and do my first mow... and I can't get the dang thing on there!

I was sure this was going to be a proper fit, I even measured the deck hanger hooks on the front of the deck and they are the exact same width as on the 44" Piranha. The actual deck lifters (in the back) go right into place perfectly and the J-pins lock in properly, but the front hanger is so wrong it's got me thinking I screwed this whole thing up.

I have two deck hanger dealies (I think the Deere part catalog calls them "draft rods", but they are the 'U' shaped metal things that hook onto the front of the deck and the tractor frame): Both of them are the exact same width on the part that you hook into the deck hooks, but the one that came with my GT235 (and the 44" piranha) is much too long for the big honking 54C deck even if I turn the adjustment nuts all the way to the stops. The 54C came with another "draft rod" which is much shorter -- and seems like it would be the correct length -- but the part that hooks onto the tractor frame is too wide for the GT235 馃槵

Now I have no idea what the heck to do, because when I check the Deere part catalog it only shows one draft rod for the GT235, which is presumably what I already had from the piranha. Feels like I made a huge mistake, but I've read numerous threads on here form people who made this exact deck work with my exact tractor. Am I just missing something obvious?

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you for looking!

EDIT: Adding an annotated picture that I hope explains the conundrum.

Rectangle Asphalt Road surface Font Automotive exterior

Registered
I've never owned a 54C deck but I have swapped 38, 44 and 48 inch decks around on my GT's and LX's without any problem. As far as I can tell all the front hangers are the same. After pinning the back of the deck there should be enough room to put the front bracket on the deck, hook it in the frame then flip the lever up to secure it.
Cannon
Rectangle Wood Tints and shades Font Door

Super Moderator
I guess I was expecting to see more difference in the length of the treaded arms, they look almost the same in the picture so not sure how the one on the right isn't doing the trick. Worst case is I would take the one on the left out and "straighten" the arms so they would fit the one on the right.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I was expecting to see more difference in the length of the treaded arms, they look almost the same in the picture so not sure how the one on the right isn't doing the trick. Worst case is I would take the one on the left out and "straighten" the arms so they would fit the one on the right.
I think it would work if there was more thread on it so I could move those adjustment nuts up another 1.25" , but I have them all the way to the end of the thread and it's too long to hook properly.

What's got me even more confused now, is that when I look up the part # from the deere parts catalog (M147445) for the draft rod and examine the pictures carefully, these new ones that are for sale look like they have twice as much thread as the one I have! Did Deere up and change this part on everyone to have more thread, and I'm just stuck with the old version or something?

This one on ebay looks exactly like mine... except the threads go way further up the rod so it looks like it would work. John Deer Front Mowing Deck Hanger M147445 LX172 LX 173 LX188 LX186 LX178 LX176 | eBay

I'm puzzled; I might just order a brand new rod (only $30) and see if it works, but I would still appreciate it if someone could explain what actually is going on here.

Registered

Registered
Deere shows 'limited stock' on the M147445 (which subs for the original deere number on GT235)
Amazon says 'currently unavailable'.

How about getting a die and cutting some more threads?

Reactions: sthpawil
1 - 9 of 9 Posts