My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What could I have done wrong?
Last year I canned my own sauce, do it every year but last year something went wrong. I cook down the tomatoes, add all my spices and such. All organic, I added for the first time soy sausage the only thing different from past years. Well half way through the winter every jar popped and what a mess because I didn't know it for a while. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I don't believe there's any meat in soy sausage but don't know what effect the processed soy protein may have on the sauce's ability to grow "bugs".

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't believe there's any meat in soy sausage but don't know what effect the processed soy protein may have on the sauce's ability to grow "bugs".
Boy that don't even sound good. lol

Should have mentioned I add peppers, onions, garlic and what ever else i feel at the moment. No meat in soy sausage or soy chop meat. A few have mentioned the soy being the problem.
Do you think cooking it separately before would help Because I do cook the sauce forever but on a low heat to stiffen it up?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Tomatoes themselves can up pretty easy since they have a high acidity that naturally retards the growth of bad stuff. As far as all of the other ingredients some could be very prone to bacteria growth and may require much higher heat and/or most likely pressure cooking to can safely. Meat can be canned safely but there is more to it. I'd recommend finding a good book on canning and read up on the procedures required.

I do believe that I have read somewhere that soy product is conducive to bacterial growth if not preserved properly, but not sure. Find a good book and research it to be safe.

JN

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Did you water bath, or pressure can? You really HAVE to know what you are doing and use recipes that have been tested and approved. This stuff can kill you if you screw it up.To say why they failed, we first need to know what you did as far as processing. I think they were not done nearly long enough to kill any bacteria.

For example, in a pressure caner, sauce without meat is 20 min (for the recipes I am looking at) but 60 with meat. (Pint jars)

Here is a good website I use quite a bit. The latest Ball Blue Book is a must have for canning (ONLY buy the new issue, things change yearly)
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/

BTW, I can meat all the time, there is no problem with it IF done right. I have many quarts of chicken soup and beef stew in storage. I just noticed the fact the OP said soy sausage, but still, there is a reason these recipes are visited every year and changed often... EVERYTHING needs to be taken into account for when you preserve food with heat alone and no chemicals. You just can't guess at this stuff and be safe.

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
Could have been the under processed soy or peppers are subjective to salmonella. Most likely the soy was under cooked. I have found that you treat soy just like meat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts