My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

I'm sure that went over their heads bigtime, Richard.

Ya... as a matter of fact I have a 48" deck that is in "fair" condition that I would part with. So far, I haven't looked at it closely but if it interests you, I will make a point of assessing it, photographing it and sending the pics to you. Send me a PM and I'll give you an e-mail addy. Do you know anyone that makes trips into the big smoke since I'm a good 4 to 5 hours drive from where you are.
Na, I used a straight translation from Google for this - the pepsi reference though may be obscure. Anyway - my parents are in Tweed and my father passes through TO about every week or two. I am thinking about going down for a visit last week of June - I could extend the trip a little no problem. And yes, if you have a deck you would be interested in parting with....

Thank you.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Well frankly Im only about 3 hours from Montreal.. I think they all speak french, have better beer, and the best strip clubs. :D :D
Funny enough I know a few people that grew up in Montreal and never learned French - me I have lived on this side of the river for 10 years and still don't speak it very well.

Beer I highly recommend anything by Unibroue - now owned by Sleemens - if your into dark beers Tois Pistoles is great.

Adult entertainment - I understand that the "performers" are spectacular and the laws are more liberal here than many other places.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
That "extension" is two and half hours driving west of Tweed. I will check this deck out thoroughly and take the photos. I want you to be fully informed as to its condition well in advance of anyone coming and looking at it. There's nothing that ****** me off more than driving somewhere only to find out the thing I wanted to buy is just a piece of junk.

Send me a PM.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Just joking, but actually I do live in Quebec, just a few minutes from the ontario / quebec border, great little place to raise a family, and due to the periodic un-rest here the houseing prices are lower than in Ottawa.
I used to go bear hunting in that general area.......about 1/2 hour away from Pembroke, near a town called Chapeau.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I used to go bear hunting in that general area.......about 1/2 hour away from Pembroke, near a town called Chapeau.
I was there once about 15 years ago for a wedding, I assume you went off the island to hunt. I imagine you had some luck with you hunting trips there?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
We hunted on a farm near Chapeau over toward Chichester. There were lot's of bears. My first year, I went alone because everyone else backed out. I harvested my first black bear that year & did it with a flintlock muzzleloader!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
We hunted on a farm near Chapeau over toward Chichester. There were lot's of bears. My first year, I went alone because everyone else backed out. I harvested my first black bear that year & did it with a flintlock muzzleloader!
That would have been something -have to mention it to the guys I work with (Wildlife Enforcement Officers that love to hunt - couple of them were off a few weeks ago hunting bear)..

But back on topic - what about a cross releif valve on this set-up? I just spoke to my hydraulics supplier and he mentioned that if the valve from on to off (I will be using the PTO selector) is a sudden stop, it could damage the shaft etc due to the enertia - his explanation made sense to me and as I am not sure how the pto selector works thought I would bring it up here.

Thank you.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Be careful when you use that term in Quebec.:sidelaugh :sidelaugh :sidelaugh Even some of us B.C. folks are familiar with the undercurrents associated with it. Dennis

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
That would have been something -have to mention it to the guys I work with (Wildlife Enforcement Officers that love to hunt - couple of them were off a few weeks ago hunting bear)..

But back on topic - what about a cross releif valve on this set-up? I just spoke to my hydraulics supplier and he mentioned that if the valve from on to off (I will be using the PTO selector) is a sudden stop, it could damage the shaft etc due to the enertia - his explanation made sense to me and as I am not sure how the pto selector works thought I would bring it up here.

Thank you.
I use a C/I travel control valve as a pto, to among other things, resolve that problem.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I just spoke to my hydraulics supplier and he mentioned that if the valve from on to off (I will be using the PTO selector) is a sudden stop, it could damage the shaft etc due to the enertia - his explanation made sense to me and as I am not sure how the pto selector works thought I would bring it up here.

Thank you.
There is some truth to what he told you since the PTO valve is an on or off valve, no in between but it has been used on hydra vacs and other attachment for quite a few years. I always engage the PTO valve, as well as the front PTO, when the engine at low speed to minimize the sudden shock to the motors, etc. I believe CGT mentioned using a gerotor type motor that is probably more forgiving than a gear type as it allows some fluid to bypass

The newer Ingersoll attachments include a case drain on the motor that presumably compensates for the problem you have raised.

The other approach that Rol has used successfully and I have also used is to install a travel control valve in place of the PTO valve then you can power up the attachment gradually and also gain another port for operating a cylinder if you wish.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
There is some truth to what he told you since the PTO valve is an on or off valve, no in between but it has been used on hydra vacs and other attachment for quite a few years. I always engage the PTO valve, as well as the front PTO, when the engine at low speed to minimize the sudden shock to the motors, etc. I believe CGT mentioned using a gerotor type motor that is probably more forgiving than a gear type as it allows some fluid to bypass

The newer Ingersoll attachments include a case drain on the motor that presumably compensates for the problem you have raised.

The other approach that Rol has used successfully and I have also used is to install a travel control valve in place of the PTO valve then you can power up the attachment gradually and also gain another port for operating a cylinder if you wish.
Thank you, now off to look up the travel control valve.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Ok,
I think I found a couple of examples:

or

I was watching the 224 - but sale ended and didn't see a need for it - Is one of these what you mean Rol?

Thanks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Rol,
I gather this shot of your tractor shows where you have the TC set up?

Just in front of the seat?

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
The one from the 155 is strictly a travel valve but it will work as a PTO valve IF...... the relief valve spring is strong enough to be dialed up to 2100 PSI from the standard 1600 PSI used in the old 100's.

The better choice is the travel/lift valve from the 222 because the lift circuit is perfect for a three-point hitch and the relief in the travel section can easily be raised 100 psi.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I watched several sell on ebay and if you aren't in a hurry you can get them for $20-$30 dollars but have seen them go to 60-70..I got a single (because I got in a hurry) then realized that there were more selling and got a double for about the same price.If I had got the double first I probably wouldn't have got the single one,but I think I can find something to do with it.
I think I paid $20 for the single and $19.?? for the double.
I probably bought them from someone on here.

CGT how do you turn up the relief valve???

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Rol,
I gather this shot of your tractor shows where you have the TC set up?

Just in front of the seat?
Yes, RP, that is my current tractor,and the last one that I converted. You can use any TCV, if you wish. The options are the single spool that you show, for pto only, the two spool, your second example, which is what I am currently using, but it does not provide a center stop for the neutral position. The best option, though more rare,is the '83 or '84 TCV's which do have the neutral stop built in. They have a double "dunce" cap, as opposed to the single "dunce" cap on the two spool you show. The single works fine, but you need to provide a neutral stop in your lever design.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Ok,
So this means I need to find a TC from a tractor with a serial number:
224 - 14037977 -14056523
444 -14039474 -14058937
446 - 14040936 - 14060091
448 - 14043690 -14062157

Hmmm - shouldn't be too hard! :praying: :ROF

And before doing that figure out what the heck your refering to when you say dunce caps in the photo.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I watched several sell on ebay and if you aren't in a hurry you can get them for $20-$30 dollars but have seen them go to 60-70..I got a single (because I got in a hurry) then realized that there were more selling and got a double for about the same price.If I had got the double first I probably wouldn't have got the single one,but I think I can find something to do with it.
I think I paid $20 for the single and $19.?? for the double.
I probably bought them from someone on here.

CGT how do you turn up the relief valve???
Go to the parts book for your tractor and find the pictorial for the valve. There are two reliefs and they are shown in the pictorial. The one closest to the travel spool is the one for the travel spool. On most, you remove the cap and then slowly turn the screw in to compress the spring. But you must have a pressure guage installed to monitor the pressure. You also need to tie the tractor to an immovable object. If the guy who lives next door has a large wife who was a Jenny Craig reject, then tie the tractor to her. :ROF

In order to determine the max pressure, the engine must be at full throttle and trying to move the tractor forward without losing traction. The idea here is to cause the relief valve to open and watch the guage to see how high the pressure goes JUST BEFORE the relief opens.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts