My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Ingersoll Dealer
2,552 Posts
While I love a good project, I have to say I would personally be pursuing a new or used Swisher (or like product) towable mower, which is designed and supplied with an offset tow bar.

In our area, a very nice 60" Swisher will eBay out for $500-700. Chances are good you will end up with that much in a fabricated Case/Ingersoll deck.

Now ... the Swishers may not be available everywhere ...

Good luck

Brian

·
Super Moderator
31,369 Posts
While I love a good project, I have to say I would personally be pursuing a new or used Swisher (or like product) towable mower, which is designed and supplied with an offset tow bar.

In our area, a very nice 60" Swisher will eBay out for $500-700. Chances are good you will end up with that much in a fabricated Case/Ingersoll deck.

Good luck

Brian
Ya, I got to agree with this... I mean, Im a guy that will tinker a idea around, but I also know what my time is worth. I have seen the towbehinds going for less then 500 used, and eaven if it needs a little work, I think you will be ahead in time and money going that route.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Would a hydraulic drive motor off a 224 work for this project? ( I am asking from an unknown point as I don't have the deck (or the associated pully yet to determine the numbers that CGT mentioned above) Just notice I might be able to pick one up reasonable.
Thanks.
Hydraulic motors are not built equally when it comes to the bearings that support the shaft. The drive motors that power these tractors have a long splined shaft that is supported by a bearing inside the transaxle. In order to use that motor, you would have to provide similar support. You would also have to use the sliding gear out of a transaxle and then weld that gear to a large pulley because the drive motors turn fairly slow and you would have to overdrive the deck substantially in order to get it up to speed.

In other words........ not a good choice of motor.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,248 Posts
I'm also building a bank mower... There seems to be some people here that knows hydrolics... I have a 4 control valve that I'm going to use...
But I have a question. What will happen to my hydraulic motor when I use the control valve to lift the arm and it takes the fluid away from the running hydraulic motor? Do I need two pumps or supplies?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Are the Hydro motors marked with a RPM range?
It sounds if I'm reading right that it would be best to find one in the 3000-4000 RPM range.Or the driving pulley will have to be much bigger.And I would think a some point if you place to large a pulley you will lose your torque.
But again I'm assuming. ( I got to stop that):biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I'm also building a bank mower... There seems to be some people here that knows hydrolics... I have a 4 control valve that I'm going to use...
But I have a question. What will happen to my hydraulic motor when I use the control valve to lift the arm and it takes the fluid away from the running hydraulic motor? Do I need two pumps or supplies?
It depends on how you have the valve plumbed. The Case PTO valve is plumbed in series with the travel/lift control valve so all of the pump output goes first to the PTO to operate whatever is attached to the PTO and then returns to the travel valve to drive the tractor and/or lift attachments. In any event, the amount of oil required to operate a cylinder is minuscule compared to that required to operate a motor so bleeding off a little oil to raise the cylinder might cause a momentary slight decrease in speed but not enough to be a concern.

You indicate you have a 4 spool valve you intend to use, just make sure it is an open center valve and that at least one of the spools is a motor control spool--i.e. will remain fully open when in use.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
It sounds if I'm reading right that it would be best to find one in the 3000-4000 RPM range.Or the driving pulley will have to be much bigger.And I would think a some point if you place to large a pulley you will lose your torque.
But again I'm assuming. ( I got to stop that):biglaugh:
It really doesn't make any difference whether you use a slow rpm motor with a big pulley or a high rpm motor with a small pulley, the power transmitted will be the same at the same final drive speed and will be a function of the engine power. Physically, it is usually easier to have two pulleys of approximately the same size.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
The motors have a max design rpm, max pressure and max gpm that should not be exceeded or you may damage the motor. The actual rpm of the motor in operation is determined by the gpm of oil that is pushed through it and is pretty much directly proportional. If you want to have a motor that turns at, say, 3600 rpm and your pump puts out 10 gpm then you can calculate the displacement that will give you the desired rpm as follows:

motor displacement = (10 gpm x 231 cubic inches/gal)/3600 rpm

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I know Richard P started this thread and I don't know about his thoughts but as for me CGT is on target insaying I would like to do something along this line as low cost as possible ....
We are on the same page.

I would have already tried something if they were lefthanded
Duh! I am so glad you wrote that - I totally overlooked it when I was looking at decks - I would have been a bit of a dolt building this up on a deck that discharged against the tractor!

Good luck
Brian,
As this is now a hobby type thing, and I am willing to take my time I think I can do it for less than 500, another big consideration for me is, I don't want another motor - I have a great one under the hood right? If this can turn and pull both decks at the same time than why not?

So now to find an older (not dead just not needed) LH discharge deck and a suitable Hydraulic motor. I will puruse and see what comes up.

Thank you I think this will be fun.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Richard,
Please keep us informed on how yours goes.
Right now I am on overtime and will not get to mine for a while.
I guess I'm in the research mode right now.
A RH would be ok if all I was going to use it for was the ditch,but I want to pull it to cover twice the ground.I may need to put a seperate motor since mine is only a 12 HP.
And of coarse as you do progress we want pictures.

Kbeitz,
I would also like to keep up on how yours comes along.

I like both ideas

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
As this is now a hobby type thing, and I am willing to take my time I think I can do it for less than 500.

So now to find an older (not dead just not needed) LH discharge deck and a suitable Hydraulic motor. I will puruse and see what comes up.
Richard,

I don't know where you are in Canada (that's a pretty big place isn't it?) but CGT probably has a half dozen decks he would give you. You can probably get a new motor to do the job for around $150 and I know you can get all the wheels and related parts from McMaster Carr. I suggest you download the parts manual from Ingersoll for the 3 pt mounted finish mower and you'll see pretty much all you need to know about how to modify a standard deck. While you're at it take a look as the Swisher offset tow bar setup and you won't have to reinvent the wheel.

We'll be looking for photos soon.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Mmmmmmmmm..... yep. Depending on how you measure it, Canada is either a bit larger or a bit smaller than the USA's lower 48 combined.
Since most of you guys north of border don't like to identify your location we can only assume you're hiding from someone. :sidelaugh

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Since most of you guys north of border don't like to identify your location we can only assume you're hiding from someone. :sidelaugh
The reason we don't bother listing our location is because most Americans think Canadians all speak French and live in igloos. :sidelaugh

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Yes it is but for the sake of tourism, we don't broadcast it.
Mais, non, je ne vis pas dans un igloo.

J'ai une jolie petite maison, avec un réfrigérateur, en elle-je garder mon pepsi!

Just joking, but actually I do live in Quebec, just a few minutes from the ontario / quebec border, great little place to raise a family, and due to the periodic un-rest here the houseing prices are lower than in Ottawa.

So, a few hours away from CGT - but not an un-reasonable driving distance - especially if he wanted me to clean up some of his ingersoll clutter - I did consider offering Mrs. CGT some $$$ when I looked at my tractor, but thought better of it - didn't want to make any enemies.

CGT - if you have something.....

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Mais, non, je ne vis pas dans un igloo.

J'ai une jolie petite maison, avec un réfrigérateur, en elle-je garder mon pepsi!

Just joking, but actually I do live in Quebec, just a few minutes from the ontario / quebec border, great little place to raise a family, and due to the periodic un-rest here the houseing prices are lower than in Ottawa.

So, a few hours away from CGT - but not an un-reasonable driving distance - especially if he wanted me to clean up some of his ingersoll clutter - I did consider offering Mrs. CGT some $$$ when I looked at my tractor, but thought better of it - didn't want to make any enemies.

CGT - if you have something.....
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

I'm sure that went over their heads bigtime, Richard.

Ya... as a matter of fact I have a 48" deck that is in "fair" condition that I would part with. So far, I haven't looked at it closely but if it interests you, I will make a point of assessing it, photographing it and sending the pics to you. Send me a PM and I'll give you an e-mail addy. Do you know anyone that makes trips into the big smoke since I'm a good 4 to 5 hours drive from where you are.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts