My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about the direct drive on a Gravely 2 wheeler and it made me wonder if you could pull/push start the engine by pulling or pushing a gravely in neutral at say 1mph (give or take) and engaging the forward drive clutch.
Wouldn't that transmit the power from the wheels , through the transmission to the crank of the engine. If you spin the crank, why wouldn't the engine start?
Basically I was wondering how I could start / load a 2 wheeler up my trailer ramp out at my property if: a) the electric starter failed or b) a pull start model had the rope fail in a fashion that didn't allow it to be reused.

·
Gravely Model L Guy
464 Posts
No, I would not recommend it. I have heard it does damage to the brass ring gear on the differential. There is no true neutral on a gravely transmission so somethings always "dragging". and on top of that it has a worm gear drive. Worms gears only like to transmit power one way efficiently. I do a lot of work on Model T Fords. The "TT" one ton trucks have a worm drive rear end and you might as well forget it when it comes to pushing them. They has the same drive train as a regular T except that the T has a regular rear end (ring and pinion) and can be pushed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya the worm gear drive is an issue for sure. I use to be into RC rock crawling and worm gear differentials were great for holding (ie; not rolling or coasting off of a rock) even without the brake.
I guess I'll have to make sure my machines are running perfect before I take them out to the property.
I'd hate to be out in the middle of the property and not be able to get loaded back up on my truck or trailer.
Back when I had Bolens tractors that had worm gear rear ends they had a pin that you could pull out that allowed the tractor drive wheels to disengage from the drive axle.

·
Gravely Model L Guy
464 Posts
Ya the worm gear drive is an issue for sure.
Back when I had Bolens tractors that had worm gear rear ends they had a pin that you could pull out that allowed the tractor drive wheels to disengage from the drive axle.
Yeah, It would be nice if Gravely WBs had a way to free wheel. I don't have to much trouble pushing them around in my shop or driveway, but if its cold (thick oil) or on rough ground, its gonna be difficult.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
Comms, 500s, 5000s with the Swiftamatic and the 400s can all be put in neutral at the axle. The key is that the lever for the HI-Lo has to disengage the sliding clutch. When it is in neutral the axles just turn the spider gears but not the worm gear. They roll freely when in that position. With the Comms, 500s, and 5000s that is with the handle sitting on the roll pin at the top of the slot instead of at the bottom.

·
Gravely 2-wheeler
987 Posts
If the engine is running when the starter fails (e.g. throws a chain or sprocket), I make sure to get it on the trailer before the engine quits. If the engine dies but the starter works, I have backed it the few feet onto the trailer with the trans in hi/rev and used the starter to turn the engine. Just in case, I also keep a block and tackle in the truck.
Paul
1950 L, 1954 L, 1969 C8, 1971 C8, (WTB 5665)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I just picked up a 1984 Gravely 5645 (Pull start 12hp) and it was a little hard to start this morning. It was only 47 deg and I had to pull it at least 10 times. I was getting wore out.
I'm gonna tune it up and make sure the carb is adjusted right.
Also I will start a new thread asking about making electric start.
I have a complete electric start 14hp Kohler that burned up a piston. Maybe I could swap the flywheel and add the electric starter.

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Well I just picked up a 1984 Gravely 5645 (Pull start 12hp) and it was a little hard to start this morning. It was only 47 deg and I had to pull it at least 10 times. I was getting wore out.
I'm gonna tune it up and make sure the carb is adjusted right.
Also I will start a new thread asking about making electric start.
I have a complete electric start 14hp Kohler that burned up a piston. Maybe I could swap the flywheel and add the electric starter.
You have a few options. Two that come readily to mind are buying a winch system for your trailer or truck and.....buying additional tractors of course. The running machine would always drag the non-starters along. :fing32:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts