My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If im planning on using a mower for 95% cutting2 flat acres, can I still get one and use it 5 times a year to haul mulch and firewood or is that too much for one to handle?
I have a very flat property.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
We pull a 10 cubic foot trailer full of mulch at work no problems (Hustler super Z)

·
10,839 Posts
A ZTR will pull light loads easily. The main concern is overheating the hydro pumps. Pulling a roller would stress it if done for a long period, a small trailer going 200' isn't going to bother it at all.
One concern is weight. They are not made to have alot of weight on the rear. Large bagger setups are often complimented by front weights. Keep this mind when judging loads. Its not a loss of power or traction issue, but a handling issue.
As always, you get what you pay for. For two acres, I would skip the lower end units for a few reasons:
1. Comfort. Cheapo units have little or no suspension. Two acres will let your body know if the seat is adequate.
2. Pump size and quality. 2 acres will get the hydro pumps at full operating temp. Cheaper units will degrade faster in that environment.
3. Deck quality. With two acres, if the deck is a good design, it won't care if the grass is tall, wet, or purple. If its a cheapo, you will see a drop in cutting performance if you are cutting wet grass from when you begin to the end.

Lots of good brands out there, good luck in your search.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
A Walker front mount mower has a trunk above the engine and should be able to haul small loads. I think the worst thing would be raising the center of gravity but that is where they mount the grass catcher so it should be fine. I've got a Grasshopper and love the out front cut and they sell a rear hitch for it to pull a trailer. I've thought a dump cart to mount in place of the mower deck would be cool. Something like a ride on Georgia buggy.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts