My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a decent 6*9 trailer. I've had it for years, its 3500 lb capacity.

If i had that full of loam or gravel, Can you easily, or reasonably pull the gravel or loam from the trailer with a FEL? or a BH bucket? Im thinking maybe the BH could sort of pull the fill off of the trailer? or would it end up doing more damage to the trailer in pulling the stuff off.

I dont think it would be strong enough for a tractor to roll up on it to pull the gravel, but maybe you could scrape it off with the FEL? or sort of side knock it out of the trailer with the BH bucket?

Is that doable, or is it safer to shovel it off of the trailer by hand?

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,557 Posts
Doable to a point..

Member lhanus has a JD4110 the he uses to reach in and fill the FEL about 4 foot..From there he rests the bucket on the trailer (16 foot trlr)and hand fills it..:fing32:

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
What about unhitching the trailer from the tow vehicle and using the loader to lift the hitch end of the trailer to dump it? If it's got an A frame hitch in front you could put some chains around both sides of the A frame and lift the chains with the loader bucket to avoid tipping to either side. Once it's in a pile on the ground you can dig into it with the loader or backhoe without any fear of damaging the trailer.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Rent a hydraulic dump trailer from your local rental place. It will be well worth it and you will do very little manual labor if you can dump in the spot where you need the material. In one day, last week I moved approximately 24,000 lbs of material with a dump trailer compared with 6,000 lbs the previous day, moving the later by hand. You will need a 3/4 ton pickup with trailer brakes and a 2 5/16 inch ball.

·
Super Moderator
31,898 Posts
A hoe would work, but you gotta be smooth with it, and have a big enough bucket to do any good. the loader would get some of it off if its not wider then the trailer. Agean... you want to be smooth with your controls so you dont trash the trailer and or the truck towing it.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
What about unhitching the trailer from the tow vehicle and using the loader to lift the hitch end of the trailer to dump it?
:ditto: I've used this method more than once, although it was with lighter material (mulch, branches, etc.). The ramp/tailgate was annoying, but manageable. Someone here posted a pic of lifting his trailer from the SIDE to dump his load, although I don't think I'd use that method for gravel.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
One method I've used is use the loader to pull what material you can off the back of the trailer. This sorta makes a ramp that you can use to get the tractor into the trailer, I then use the bucket to pull as much material to the back making the "ramp" longer and smoother, then I use the landscape rake to pull the rest of the material off and shovel the remander at the front and alont the sides. Takes a bit of practice to get the method down but I've used it with gravel and dirt, both with my dads BX1500 and my B2620. BTW, this was on a 3000lb 6x12 trailer.

Brad

·
22,182 Posts
Reach over the sides with the FEL to lighten the load, then upend it like Nouveau Redneck says. If you take it out the tailgate first, you won't be able to lift the tongue.

I'd use TooManyGT's method of ramping it, or a combination to make the ramp more manageable.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
A modification of the ramp idea: When I used to ride a lot of motocross, I built a "loading dock" on my property: back the trailer up to it and I was all set. Don't forget to support the back of the trailer with jacks, wood, etc. to prevent the tongue from shooting up in the air, though!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I've been thinking of making a more permenant "loading dock", but most of the places I've been unloading have been in random places. I haven't had much luck with raising the tounge myself. Yeah I forgot to mention to block the trailer when your driving it it! I leave it hooked to the truck if I can.

Brad

·
Super Moderator
31,898 Posts
.....and before you drive up on it make sure the trailer can support the weight!!!!! Not sure what the loader weighs, but add that to the weight of the load, and you might be WAY over max load!!!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Easier, faster and more cost effective to rent a dump truck for a half day...looks for a mason dump 3/4 yarder....should be easy.....your trailer from just the weight alone can only handle 1 yrd worth of gravel at most....of course mulch is lighter....however the time and effort just to load it and unload it, will ruin the day for the actual task at hand....

Or just get it delivered from a local guy in a small truck and be done with it....

work smart, not harder.....

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
Ive got a decent 6*9 trailer. I've had it for years, its 3500 lb capacity.

If i had that full of loam or gravel, Can you easily, or reasonably pull the gravel or loam from the trailer with a FEL? or a BH bucket? Im thinking maybe the BH could sort of pull the fill off of the trailer? or would it end up doing more damage to the trailer in pulling the stuff off.

I dont think it would be strong enough for a tractor to roll up on it to pull the gravel, but maybe you could scrape it off with the FEL? or sort of side knock it out of the trailer with the BH bucket?

Is that doable, or is it safer to shovel it off of the trailer by hand?
In general, most places will deliver for about $100 + the cost of the material...;)

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
On the idea to have it delivered I recently had 10 yards of gravel bought over and it cost $240 for the gravel and $80 for the truck to bring it. It was just easy to call the gravel company and have them bring it and such saved on the wear of my truck and 8 foot trailer and then even put the gravel where I wanted it.

Have it delivered, a lot faster and your back into the project faster.

·
Super Moderator
31,898 Posts
When I had top soil deliverd it cost less per yard then I was paying at another place that I had to pick up. Pluss I could only get a yard at a time, and the delivery guy dropped off 11 at one time!!

·
22,182 Posts
On the idea to have it delivered I recently had 10 yards of gravel bought over and it cost $240 for the gravel and $80 for the truck to bring it. It was just easy to call the gravel company and have them bring it and such saved on the wear of my truck and 8 foot trailer and then even put the gravel where I wanted it.

Have it delivered, a lot faster and your back into the project faster.
The problem here is, if you only require a couple of yards in an area inaccessible to a even a small dump truck, you're going to have to move it anyway, so why not directly off load from a trailer. The cost is less for the material than for just the dump truck and with carefull placing, you can off load well over half the load with the tractor before putting the Mexican (Manuel Labour) to work. The bonus is, less mess on the lawn or driveway.

I currently have just such a project, but my tractor taxi is an 8'x18' tandem and it's too big to get close to the job, but I can off load over 90% by driving on to it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts