My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Murray Garden Tractor, and the sticker on the back says it takes a "Snowthrower" with part # 24579.

I've been searching online for this and haven't (so far) been able to find anybody selling it. Since Murray's not around anymore, I'm guessing it's going to be a tough find. Anybody here know if there are other garden tractor snowblowers that will work on a Murray GT?

My GT is a 1998 with model number 46431X92A. Here's a link to the sticker on the back with the different accessories you can get:

http://s461.photobucket.com/albums/qq334/jbeall/Tractors/?action=view&current=IMG_7152.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
The snowblowers were made for Murray by Haban, also now out of business. I think someone bought out Haban but I'm almost positive that blower is no longer made. They do show up on CL and eBay from time to time.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The snowblowers were made for Murray by Haban, also now out of business. I think someone bought out Haban but I'm almost positive that blower is no longer made. They do show up on CL and eBay from time to time.
Do any snowblowers made by other manufacturers fit on the Murray tractors?

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
IIRC, mistavp05 had one for sale last year, but he is all the way in Mass. Not sure if it ever sold.

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts

·
Administrator
12,536 Posts
Call your local B&S (they own Murray now) dealer with the part number to see if one is available. You'll probably fall over with the price but you never know until you ask.
As for modding one to fit, I've never tried so I can't give any help on that.
Good luck! :trink39:

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know if a member from here on the Murray forum asked this or not, but I found mention of someone asking http://www.jimsrepairjimstractors.com/snowblower.htm whether they had a blower that would fit a Murray GT. They answered that they could fix a Bercomac(spelling?) onto their GT, no problem.
I actually wrote them and asked if that would work on a 1998 Murray, and what the pricing would be. We'll see what I hear back.

-Josh

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm running a craftsman 842.240510 single stage on 1996 18hp 5speed Agway/Murray gt. had it on 1996 Agway/Murray Lt last year. same unit as Haban I had the year before.Most parts are pretty much inter changeable. hook up is quick. drop grassdeck to blow snow 45 min./ 1hr If i get camera back willing to send pics

·
Registered
67 Posts
wow, I live about 20 miles from Stratford. Wonder if that blower will fit my Murray
425618X48B built in 2004?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome pic, tinpan! And I sure wish I lived closer to that snowblower in Wisconsin, that looks like exactly what I want.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hey Fins59 go on drop the grassdeck and grab 20 miles seat time. the blower looks the same as my Haban and craftsman, check pulley and bearings behind shute for wobble/wear. Check out your tractor,look for 2 sets of brackets not being used,first set just behind mower lift bar will have a pivot pin welded in towards the center,second set has two holes located on frame just below rear of engine. Looks like thats bein sold by a dealer he should be able to help.good luck. Man 20 miles of seat time, some guys have all the luck! let us know how you make out

·
Registered
67 Posts
I might check that blower out tomorrow (Thursday). Checked under my Murray. Can't really see how a blower would hook up under there without having seen the blower.
A couple months ago I bought a Sears GTV16 with a dozer blade and am planning to use that for snow this year.
Also bought a running Sears Suburban 12HP a couple weeks ago because I have a non-running SS 12 with a blower plus other attachments that should fit on the Suburban. Both are 1969 models.
And I have a big Swisher walk behind snow blower but I have a lot of area to clear out and that walk behind takes about 4 hours to do the job.
And we got an old jeep with a plow sittin out back that just needs a new clutch.
But I think I'll still go and check out the blower. Good reason to take my old car out for one last spin before hibernation. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Went to check it out. Didn't take camera along. But blower looks exactly like pics in SleazyRider's post. Model # on it is 24582 and code date is 592829.

On Murray attachment list on this site it shows a blower with Model # 24583 would fit 1997 and up tractor. (mine is a 2004) or # 24571 (40" blower)

In my Murray owner's manual it gives snow thrower model # 24574 as fitting my 2004 tractor.

This place is a John Deer dealership. Guy said I could take blower (pay for it) home and if it doesn't fit my tractor, return it and get money back.
There's a Murray repair shop in the next town. Going to check with them on their knowledge and model #'s. John Deere guy didn't have any data on Murray's.

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
On Murray attachment list on this site it shows a blower with Model # 24583 would fit 1997 and up tractor. (mine is a 2004) or # 24571 (40" blower)
Just as an FYI, the attachment guide "sticky" has info up until 2000 [ referred to as "present" in the thread ]. It may not be applicable to your machine.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts