My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
I will defer to the experts, but I have not seen it done and I am not aware of a factory fit. it would be an interesting project? However, other than the 50 inch QH mower, i think most of the QH implements are a fair bit narrower than the rather wide stance of an 816 twin cylinder?If it’s a single cylinder engine you can narrow it a bit by flipping the rear wheels to narrow the width a bit.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would like to be able to run a brush hog and I saw this nearby for cheap. As I suspect though, by the time I spend the $$ to get the remaining necessary parts I’d probably be better off getting a walk behind.

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
A two wheeler is a better choice for 30" bush hog work. That's the route I'd go.
After buying a front drive and front adapter kit, you could have bought two 2 wheelers.

Besides, who is to say that the 30" deck you buy will be quick hitch?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Reactions: kyavion

·
Premium Member
5,387 Posts
Agreed that for brush hogging, you want a walker. Get into any sort of serious bushes/brambles/weeds and you'll need to be able to pick the deck up on short notice. You don't have that kind of control with a rider. Plus, as other posters said, the parts to get you all the way to a working front drive adapter, QH or no, will likely be more expensive than a couple of walkers.

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
There are two versions of the quick hitch 30" bush hog. The short nose uses a splined coupling between quick hitch and the horizontal shaft. The long nosed version uses a dog gear, which is different from the dog gear in the advance casting of the tractor.

·
Premium Member
5,807 Posts
There are two versions of the quick hitch 30" bush hog. The short nose uses a splined coupling between quick hitch and the horizontal shaft. The long nosed version uses a dog gear, which is different from the dog gear in the advance casting of the tractor.

Interesting. So does that limit those with long nose quick hitches to just those quick hitch attachments. The different gear would have to be on the equipment end. Or am I wrong? This maybe important information for those looking for attachments. Or is that as simple as changing the equipment gear out?

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
Interesting. So does that limit those with long nose quick hitches to just those quick hitch attachments. The different gear would have to be on the equipment end. Or am I wrong? This maybe important information for those looking for attachments. Or is that as simple as changing the equipment gear out?
The splined coupling or dog gear attaches to the PTO stub on the quick hitch.

Which quick hitch bush hog you choose usually has to do with which engine is on your 2-wheeler, as the long-nose version was intended to improve machine balance, offsetting the heavier engines. You can achieve the same thing by adding weight to a short-nosed bush hog. This is the route I went.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,807 Posts
Yes I was thinking the short we be the way to go. So these have common std bearings.
I have the shaft. Just need the dog gears, bearings, some extra strength pipe, two end plates and someone with a lathe and mill. Mounting brackets are a simple matter. Lift system no problem. You would want it to float when down anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
I've run a lot of different 2 wheeler attachments on the front of a rider via the adapter kit, but the 30" bushhog was never one of them, for reasons previously mentioned. But there is also the issue of attachment width compared to the front tires.

·
Premium Member
5,807 Posts
I've run a lot of different 2 wheeler attachments on the front of a rider via the adapter kit, but the 30" bushhog was never one of them, for reasons previously mentioned. But there is also the issue of attachment width compared to the front tires.

I realize that and it's not an issue that can't be lived with. Same goes for the dog catcher. If it mows grass and moves snow that is all that's required.

·
Premium Member
5,387 Posts
A person in a town next to me is selling this for $200. He says he knows nothing about it. Worth it for $200 if the engine isn’t locked up?
Maybe. Looks like a super convertible C8, missing the hood, but otherwise looks all there. It's not one of the late models, because it has the old style controls. 106 deck.

If the engine turns, especially if it has compression, it looks like it could be cleaned up and made into a runner. It's a crap shoot on condition of the carb and mag. Also the starter motor.

It will be a bit of a project, small or large is hard to tell. The question is, is it worth 200 to you? If it just needs cleaning and TLC, it will have turned out to be a good buy at 200. If you ended up replacing a bunch of stuff, not so much.

You could try him at 100 or 150...

[edit]

I just realized that this is in the context of your original question, how to run a brush hog on the front of your rider. The machine pictured is just what you need, if it can be made to run.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It seems like some have luck just cleaning the carbs and firing up these old units that have sat for a long time. Your response makes good sense though. It’s always a gamble, and I imagine a decent likelihood not a cheap one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts