My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like unable to find a snow plow for my MTD990, so I picked up a nice heavy Bolens plow and need to modify it.

I am looking for pictures of a snow plow for an MTD990 and how it is mounted on the tractor.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like a fairly simply setup.

Thanks for posting the pictures, this really help.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Here's a few pic's of o home made plow I aquired. Pretty simple. This one was built for a 960 so I'll be extending it 6". Plans eventully will include power angle. The plow edge will have a pipe edge on it so it won't dig into the grass or gravel.

Attachments

·
ordinary average guy
1,521 Posts
im assuming the rear of the machine takes the brunt of the push ?
anyone have any detailed pics of the plow hooked up ?

Zelda, i see you finally took the rear out of that Duetz.

·
ordinary average guy
1,521 Posts
:bump9: for a second time. someone has gotta have a few pics of the mounting points.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I'll try to get the blade on the. Unico this week and take a couple.

Also will try to get you some pics of that other plow, MTD.

Sorry, my weekend was a string of problems.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Will that blade fit my MTD 996? I could mod a blade.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i used a craftsman 46 or 48in universal plow and gota pc of spring steel after drilling holes to match holes in plow already i just drilled hole in end and am going to use a pair of muffler clamps and a steel plate to attach plow to lift only concern i have is that the deck hanger will get bent by the clamps not allowing enough play but i think i can get around that by not clamping them down to the plow assy to allow the lift plate to slide if it needs to back and forth ill get pics of what i have so far so you can see how i did it

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Here's a few pic's of o home made plow I aquired. Pretty simple. This one was built for a 960 so I'll be extending it 6". Plans eventully will include power angle. The plow edge will have a pipe edge on it so it won't dig into the grass or gravel.
The rear mount bolts to where a pin hitch would go on the rear of the tractor right on the rear. The middle mounts the same place you mower deck lift would mount. The front mounts, the two angle peices are just to keep the plow straight. They bolt to the very front of the tractor. Sorry I couldn't help more but I was repainting my mower deck and mounting that up to my 990.

·
ordinary average guy
1,521 Posts
thankx Zelda. i have a scrap hot water heater comin in the next day or 2. it will be turned into the plow for the 990. now all i need is an 8 foot piece of 2"x3" square tube.
so im correct, the rear of the machine takes the brunt of the push with a plow.
it will have to be meaty.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Yes. You are right about the rear of the machine taking the push. Actually that plow I have. That thing is a beast to move. It's a long piece of channel iron. I'm going to weld a pipe on the bottom of the blade. Give it round edge. That way I can plow gravel driveways without digging in.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I working on adapting a snow blade from a Bolens tractor to my 990. I thought I got lucky when I finally had a chance to take a home made bumper to adapter that some had bolted to the front of the tractor and then welded the nuts to the bolts. Needless to say that I used some colorful language while using an air hammer to cut these off!

What I found was the Bolens plow bolted right up to the frame, so I thought I just got really lucky. Needless to saw, it did not work. I ran a 1" pipe from the lift arm on the right side of the tracor that operates the 3 point hitch, to a bracket on the plow that was there for the purpose. In order for this to work, the hydro-lift needed to have enough presure on the "down" position to lift the plow... it only lifted it about 2", so no luck.

Now I'm back to working onthe original configuration I planned, which is to build a plow frame simular to the frame used on my Ford snow blower. The frame will connect to the front lift frame, and then to the rear like on my Ford (where the 3Pt hitch connects).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts