My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Murph
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to possibly buy this but needed some more information. He wants $1,000 for everything. Is it worth it, any advice would be appreciated. Hasn't run for 8 years

Case garden tractor that the guy has owned since 1995 and has been in storage inside a building for last 8 years. Was running when he put it away. He a new hydraulic pump on it right before he put it in storage, also a the 48 inch mower deck, 5 foot blade, 3 foot tiller. tractor and all attachments run off hydraulics also. Good tires and also have wheel weights and chains. The motor is a 12 horse Onan engine.

Attachments

·
deerhed
1,241 Posts
I'd say to him, "Well...seeing as it isn't even running aty present, how about $600? "No, well I guess I'd go to $700 but I think that's pretty fair."

·
Murph
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd say to him, "Well...seeing as it isn't even running aty present, how about $600? "No, well I guess I'd go to $700 but I think that's pretty fair."
Do you know what model year it is?

·
10,839 Posts
Can't tell the year by the picture, it's been repainted. So its serial # time to pin it down.

Also, I've never heard of a 12 hp Onan. 16, yes. 12, nope.

Also, running when stored, but not now? In a wood shed? Mice=electrical issues.

·
New case owner
178 Posts
Someone stole the engine tins off the right side. If my own experience is any indicator it probably means they stole something else off the engine or frame as well. I'd give it a real good look over. Sounds like it's a 442, I've never used one before but someone else can probably tell you how well they do compared to the 444/446/448.

The deck and plow are worth $100-150 each, tiller $3-400 depending on condition. Based on the picture I can't see the hydraulics for the rear pto that run the tiller, or a sleeve hitch or 3 point off the rear. The PTO and sleeve hitch run for $200+ each on ebay, and a good 3 point is at least $300. If it has all that hardware in the back you probably have a good deal if you can knock a couple hundo off. But just for a deck, plow, tiller and a tractor that hasn't run in 8 years I definitely wouldn't pay the asking price. That tractor may require alot of work to get going and I'm not sure how capable those 442's are.

·
Murph
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everybody for the help, lots of good advice here.

I'm looking for something like this with a rear tiller if anybody has one they want to sell.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I agree with the guys. It is a fair price but will most likely require some electrical work to get her running. From the pictures it looks like the deck is complete with the mule drive and belt. The tiller looks like it has been shortened, but i think I see the extra section of shield and tines in the right corner of the pic. The one thing I dont see is the rear PTO. I would expect to see the hydraulic line looping up to close the circuit just behind the seat.
If the motor is an onan it should be 16hp if original. That would make her a 446 and maybe mid 80's. My guess from the fenders.
All in all a great package, but I would be more comfortable at $600 too given the fact that she isnt running.

·
Murph
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for the excellent advice. The possible mice eating wires is a great point, that happened to my fathers JD years ago after he died.

·
Registered
119 Posts
IMO, $1K isn't a bad price. You may end up putting another few hundred or so into it to make it operate properly but, you're still ahead of the game. The replacement tin for the motor shouldn't be too hard to find (Boomer is a FANTASTIC resource for these sorts of things) and all other parts are available through Brian H and other Ingersoll dealers.
:trink40:

·
New case owner
178 Posts
1K isn't a bad price IF the tractor is indeed sound but given the overall condition and the problems already clear from the pictures I think the OP has a number of talking points to get that price down to a more affordable level.

And as a few have mentioned it looks like he'd be forking over a a pretty big chunk of change if he wants to use that tiller, unless the rear PTO is hiding back there somewhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts