My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read the thread about tow starting a two wheeler, it reminded me that I need to get my 566 to my food plot to thin the raspberry's.

Can I build a tow bar and tow the 566 to the food plot using the 24G? :dunno:

Seat time is way more fun than walk/handlebar time!! :drunkie:

Would towing also be hard on the transmission?

Or, do I need to build yet another trailer!!?? :crybaby:

The food plot is about a mile round trip, over kind of rough (up hill/down hill) terrain. No fun to walk.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Warning: what follows is complete speculation.

Why couldn't you just put the thing in neutral, put the sickle bar upon the hitch or lash it to the hitch of the 24G and pull it? Reminds my of the way we used to pull 3-wheelers back in the day. We'd put the front wheel upon the rear rack or just the rear bar of the good one, put the bad one in neutral (or take off the chain) and pull that sucker wherever.

·
Gravely 2-wheeler
987 Posts
I hitch up a sulky or a dump cart with a seat (for extra gas and gardening tools) to my walk behind to get me to the play area.
Paul
1950 L, 1954 L, 1969 C8, 1971 C8, (WTB 5665)

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
You probably saw the photos of B_king's 432 Swiftamatic. If you can catch your two speed axle between gears and keep it there while towing over rough terrain, you should be OK. You will know right away if the Swiftamatic drops into either Low or High range.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have never heard of a 2 wheeler being in "neutral".

Mine has never been in neutral, that I know of!! :crybaby:

Is there a trick!?? :dunno:

·
Registered
476 Posts
I get mine in between high and low with the range shifter to move them around the garage, bouncing around pulling them I don't think I would try. Raspberry...Wild Raspberry...Wineberry per chance! I would like to have some of those. I pulled some up around Noton but the county mowed the hill ( Why now, the never mowed it before and haven't since ) I put them on and I don't think they are coming back.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
. Raspberry...Wild Raspberry...Wineberry per chance! I would like to have some of those. I pulled some up around Noton but the county mowed the hill ( Why now, the never mowed it before and haven't since ) I put them on and I don't think they are coming back.
They MUST be Wineberry's, LOTS of neighbors make wine out of them!!

I call them Whineberry's, I always whine if I walk into them wearing shorts!! :crybaby:

I will just thin them, there are 300-500 plants on about an acre.

I will try to make paths between "rows". :praying:

Somebody will want to harvest them. If not human, then animal. :dunno:

I keep the "wild" red varieties away from the "tame" blue varieties, I have heard the red ones carry diseases that are deadly to the tame ones.
:dunno:
That is why I have to travel so far.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Does your tractor have the two speed differential, the pull lever on the right side of the dash?

If so, then try to catch the shifter between High range and Low range, it is not a neutral shifting point, just works that way.

Double click a photo.

Low Range.jpg High Range.jpg

Between.jpg

Roger,

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will give that a try, I guess that is a spring loaded lever, I have never stopped "in the middle". :not_worth

The "shift lever" has a hole drilled for a roll pin to hold it in the "out" position, maybe I can drill an extra hole for an extra pin.

:14_6_5:<If anything goes wrong!! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Looking at the the range of motion on the L shaped lever and the resulting gap on the horizontal pin ,would it be possible to make a two fingered crescent shaped tool to keep the moving pin in that neutral point ? Since anything else would allow the transmission to shift into the opposite direction from motion or vibration ? Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Aksarben96,

I think I know where your coming from, "could you place a cut half of tube on the clutch sliding pin to hold it between gears?", yes I think so.

The clutch sliding pin mikes at .406" or 13/32". You could probably cut a piece of 1/2" I.D. tube in half the long way and then just trim the length so that it holds the Swiftamatic Shifting Clutch between High and Low Range; maybe even tape it in place during a tow. I have never made such an accessory, but it does sound reasonable.

There is not a very big gap for the shifting clutch between High range and Low range.

In this photo the component on the left is part of the Swiftamatic differential, the part on the right is anchored in the right axle housing, but in real time there is a slightly bigger gap between the parts.

Shifting Clutch 008.JPG

When you can move the shifting clutch between the two, that is the unofficial neutral for a Gravely Swiftamatic.

Roger,

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I m saying the gap in the slot the sliding pin has in the L shaped piece is where I would put the double crescent shaped tool . that way the sliding pin can't move inward or outward and there by get into gear , since there is no space to allow it to move . Just putting a collar on the exposed shaft it could still get moved outward , it would only prevent inward motion . I wish I had a better way to describe it . or better computer skills to diagram it .
Like ( ) this down over the yellow painted pin that's moved by the L bracket .

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Okey-Dokey,

If the pin slides 'in' the Swiftamatic shifts into High range.

Let us look at the two springs working the 'shifter' rod, that one coming from the dash.

In Low Range, the spring on the shifter rod is fully 'expanded' and the 'helper' spring is almost fully contracted or collapsed.

In High Range, the spring on the shifter rod is compressed but not fully; and the helper spring is pretty well stretched out.

In 'No Range' the springs are at almost a balance point? Neither one exerting the controlling force.

So, what would be a great way to lock the clutch sliding pin, which controls the shifting fork moving the shifting clutch, right between gears for a tow?

I cant' picture your double crescent.

Roger,

·
Registered
1,799 Posts

the circled area is the pin and the gap I would put the tool into on either side of that pin .

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Ben,
I see what your talking about now, that might work, but that pin does not move much in the slot.

CAD Plans, I would not drill an extra hole in the clutch sliding pin. That pin slides in and out of an oil seal, you would be begging an oil leak.

Roger,

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
If it were mine I would make a low trailer and trailer the two wheeler.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I get a kick out of my neighbor that lives about a mile past me, he mows the church yard about a mile before my house with his craftsman mower it is to slow to drive 2 miles so he loads it on a trailer and pulls it down the road with his ATV mows and then tows it back home.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts