My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally getting my "L" running again so of course I've got a few questions if you have a moment please - as a side note- the answer to any or each of these might just be to "Wing It" or to use the "SWAG** Method". If this is the case then by all means let me know 8-D

#1 How much of the bearing retainer needs to stick past the housing towards the fan side? The pulley side? 1/4 inch? !/2 inch?

#2 one of the bearings went into the housing snugly nearly tight. It took a couple of taps from a small hammer and wood block after I heated the retainer and froze the bearing. I'm thinking this is okay but the other side is so loose the bearing easily falls out. Any thoughts on this?

#3 There's no washers between either side bearing and the fan or pulley. Is this correct?

#4 How close is/should be the pulley to the fan housing to start with? I realize that it's a variable adjustment, I'm just looking for a ballpark idea 1/8th 3/8's?

Lastly

#5 Any suggestions other than just get things together? Something to watch out for? Any particular torque on the nut or pulley?

Now, I know you're thinking, "Well, he took it apart - why can't he remember?" The fact is that it was so badly beat up that it fell apart on me when I was removing the gas tank. Some things were welded together others were so worn out they just disappeared (like the bearings the bearing races and the bearing spacer- poof! All Gone!!).

Thanks so very much for your time - I'm hoping to get more than 90 carefree minutes of use this time.

** SWAG METHOD
Scientific
Wild
Guess

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AH - HA Never knew about the spacers behind the fan pulley or the actual dimensions of the locknuts.
Thanks muchly!

Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts