My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Following your project with interest as I have one that is in worse shape then yours. How much $$$ do you think you will have in it when it is done? I have been searching for stock mufflers that can be modified. The main problem is the size. I have found some Kabota B1500 and BX1800D mufflers that might work. The best I think is a Walker Tractor muffler #21188. It is 4.25" round and 11.25" long. I know the round size will work but don't know about the lenght.

·
Super Moderator
28,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Following your project with interest as I have one that is in worse shape then yours. How much $$$ do you think you will have in it when it is done? I have been searching for stock mufflers that can be modified. The main problem is the size. I have found some Kabota B1500 and BX1800D mufflers that might work. The best I think is a Walker Tractor muffler #21188. It is 4.25" round and 11.25" long. I know the round size will work but don't know about the lenght.
Not sure you saw my update, but around $80 or so. Might be less though, so far I'm buying more material than I need to do just one. If this works good then I will be fixing both the mufflers on the 322's like this, and it will give me a spare. There are a few tools that would help make this go quicker but time is something I have right now!! :)

The only real issue I see with the other mufflers is the exhaust flange. Most of the others I've seen are 2 or 4 holes or if they are 3 holes they won't line up on this flange. That piece is cast so I'm not sure I could fab a replacement for it. But fortunately most of the time that end in decent shape on these.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Not sure you saw my update, but around $80 or so. Might be less though, so far I'm buying more material than I need to do just one. If this works good then I will be fixing both the mufflers on the 322's like this, and it will give me a spare. There are a few tools that would help make this go quicker but time is something I have right now!! :)

The only real issue I see with the other mufflers is the exhaust flange. Most of the others I've seen are 2 or 4 holes or if they are 3 holes they won't line up on this flange. That piece is cast so I'm not sure I could fab a replacement for it. But fortunately most of the time that end in decent shape on these.
When you get it down pat you can do mine!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
28,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
More that right now everything in my life since I retired is on my timetable, not sure I would want to have to work on turning them around as folks would want them done quickly to get their machines back into operation. I'm learning to enjoy just working when I feel like it with no pressure.

·
Super Moderator
28,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So, looking at several videos I will need to shape steel pieces to fit inside the muffler. Not something I've ever done before but I'm game for learning some new things in retirement, it keeps me off the streets! :)

I bought some Fournier mallets which just got here yesterday, and I cut a couple of pieces of an elm tree to make a couple of forms for bending and a pounding point (stump), this has to dry a bit so will be waiting on that. Need to figure out the pipe solution and get what I need for that. Now this may seem like a lot but I figure since JD wants over $500 apiece for the mufflers as long as I stay at about half that cost I will be ahead because when I'm done I will have three of them!

The hammers I bought:

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I think the only really important parts of the muffler are where it mounts, where it exits, and its external dimensions. For the internals, all you need is a place for the gases to expand, and some baffles to reduce the noise. It doesn't have to be an exact copy of the originally, internally...... Just needs to be able to do the job. In all reality, add another chamber, and you could even make the muffler quieter than stock, without reducing engine performance. :D

·
Super Moderator
28,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well I know that backpressure on engines is important for several reasons so I'm not trying to mess with it, too little gas escape velocity can cause engine scavenging not to be efficient is one such reason. I took a lot of measurements and plan on reproducing the internals and materials as close to original as possible. This hopefully will result in the "Yanmar" sound too. I figure the engineers had a reason for their designs.

·
Super Moderator
28,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Picked up a couple of tools that I will need for this, a tin shear for my drill and sander to square up the muffler before welding. Also picked up what I need to make a couple of forms for bending the steel on the shape of the muffler. This will become my inclement weather project until the trailer is done.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Following your progress. I had the muffler on my 20 HP Kawasaki twin, on my Snapper Pro, crack off at the y pipe. I asked my shop to replace it last year when they serviced it. They called back and asked if I was dead set on the factory muffler, it was almost 300 bucks. I said no, I just want it to work. They had a junker machine with a Kawaski twin with an almost new muffler on it. The muffler was made out of rolled steel, not rolled tin. The only visible difference I could see is the bracket on the muffler faced away from the engine on my machine. The stuff is so thick they just stick welded a bracket on it to fit my machine. Now I keep my eyes open for junker machines of any type with a solid muffer that I can repurpose. I also keep my eyes open for odd machines with Onan's on them. I know a guy with a dead 318.

·
Super Moderator
28,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Well I will get to practice on 3 of them, the one I'm testing and then the 2 from the 322's I have! Both of them have mufflers that are in need of repair.

·
Super Moderator
28,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Oh, they only charged me $20 bucks for the used muffler and about $10 to weld the bracket on.
There was a guy on ebay trying to sell a shot 332 muffler, needs same repair I'm doing, for $294 the other day. I don't have a problem with $40 or $50 so I can get the flange and can and gut the rest but no way would I pay that much for one!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Kind of getting off on a tangent. Are mufflers for the 322 obsolete? Or just so expensive it's worth saving them. I just went out and looked at the muffler on my FX600V, it's rolled steel, with all seems welded, way heavier than the crimped seams on my X540. Obviously a different shape, but much heavier. What are the dimensions of your muffler, I'll start watching for a heavier muffler that will fit. If I find one I'll send it to you and you can have another project, Joe,

·
Super Moderator
28,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Last time I got a price they were $520 or so, now looking it says to contact dealer so I suspect they went NLA for the 322 and 332 mufflers. Kicker is they all fail in the exact same place. Now that is probably after they were 15 - 20 years old though so you can't really say manufacturing defect. The issue is the mounting flange to the exhaust manifold. It is a 3 bolt setup so good luck trying to match. I couldn't find any other Yanmar mufflers with that same manifold setup.

·
Super Moderator
28,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So picked up a HF table/belt sander today just to work on the mufflers (well that's my excuse for a new power tool!!). Tested it on the muffler to even out the cut that I did, this was after about 2 minutes of belt sanding:

This was just after I cut it originally:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Is the manifold cast so it lasts forever? If the only thing is the flange and muffler, I think I can get this heavy steel muffler, and make a flange out of 1/4" plate and have a whole new muffler for under $300. Take quick measurements of length and diameter. I saw what they look like on Ebay, but a better pic wouldn't hurt. Here's a pic of the one my SES made for me.

·
Three of my friends
8,759 Posts
Good luck,

21 - 40 of 45 Posts