My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine gave me a 11 hp Briggs Horizontal shaft elect start.

Model 52412 -252400 to 499 one and it has the looks to be bigger carb than my old 8 hp flow jet one? I guess it is a flow jet also but diff.

I have it soaking in carb cleaner but not sure if the nozzle/jet? will ever come out of it? The motor is fine and did fire it for a couple of seconds with starting fluid.

I also have a carb for one of the 8 hp ones that we managed to sling a rod through :sorry1: But can I use it on the 11 hp one?

Now i am not trying to use it on a mower but on an air compressor and the motor will need no more than 3000 rpm to run it with the pulley set up we have. The 8 hp that didn't blow up does good so far but I like back ups and I like elect start over the now pull start 8 hp one. ( if correct i can also use the same fly wheel off the 11 and put on the 8 so I don't have to yank the cord any more?

At 66 all I want to do is shake the cord and not yank it :thThumbsU

Advice on what you think I can use or make work between the two would be great

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:thThumbsU The motor that threw the rod was a two one but this other one you have to play with it and get the dag thing warmed up and then good to go as long as you are :thanku:

Looks like the jet is not going to come out of the carb. Just two many exposed years I guess. I have tried ever trick in the book that I know of and I do know a few but I am guessing that the threads above it are just to far gone to let it back out.

As my son said about replacing the carb and he heard it run for the couple of seconds but will it run good or will it need a total rebuild? Just maybe I can put the old one back on after running some gas through it and also check if the float even works before I go to much further on it with money in real short supply.

At least I an sure the electric start part I think will interchange with the old 8 hp we have so we can stop pulling maybe? I have not got into that yet.

You guys know more than I do on what will swap and what want on these motors.

·
Certified Technician
8,606 Posts
Last ditch effort...boil the carb (minus float) in a 50/50 Mix if Vinegar and water...for at least 1/2 hour...then blow it off with carb cleaner and compressed air.

then hit the jet with liquid wrench, let it soak a bit, then find as big a screwdriver as will fit, make sure the head is straight and square...put the carb gently in a vice and give it ****..if it strips, it strips, it it busts, it busts..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On these flo-jet carbs you are supposed to remove the main nozzle before you lift the top and float off. If not you run a chance of bending the nozzle. Ask me how I know that HA. Then I found and read the instruction.

But with the nozzle stuck as bad as it is and just about wore out the screwdriver slots it want make much diff anyway. I have managed to make it move a little but that is all.

One trick that works 99% of the time is the heat that area of the part up and then touch it with a candle and the wax will run around the threads and then to bolt will come out. In this case it is not working. What I think has happened is between the nozzle and the main needle valve there is an open space and water set there for so many years that it just eat up the threads the best I can see anyway? I have also tried every lubricant I have and no go yet.

I am going to see if the float will work and then try to start the motor with some fresh oil back in it and see how it runs and sounds and then proceed from there I guess.

Thanks for you help and the vinegar trick.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
LEFT HANDED DRILL BITS!!!! Drill a small pilot hole all the way through slowly with a left handed bit and then step the bit size up and really spin that thing. Chances are, it will snatch that sucker right out of there.

Joe

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LEFT HANDED DRILL BITS!!!! Drill a small pilot hole all the way through slowly with a left handed bit and then step the bit size up and really spin that thing. Chances are, it will snatch that sucker right out of there.

Joe
Heck I keep them in my tool chest with all my left handed monkey wrenches and left handed screw drivers :thThumbsU

I will give that a try :thanku: I would rather buy a rebuild kit than a new carb or even the bottom half for sure.

I ordered two carb kits from Oregon and **** it took both of them to rebuild one dag carb. This part would not fit from one kit and then the other kit another part would not work but between the two I rebuilt at least one of the flo-jet's for my 8HP one but wanted to rebuild the other. Between Taiwan and China all you get is half *** crap :banghead3

Next time I will just get the kit from a local shop maybe????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.