My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

bought this rotary hoe, picking it up next week.

Can anyone tell me the HP, year of manufacture approx, and if it's a points engine?

Ran well when last used but has sat for a while. Notice it has the oil air filter, looks like it has been cared for. I need a rotary hoe for a small plot, and enjoy these old motors so will be giving it a birthday. Be nice to know if its points or electronic, and the HP, also if anyone knows, the amount of oil for a change?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
My guess would be 3hp, made in the 60's, points under flywheel. Two piece small body flo
Jet carburetor. Yours looks like it is in great shape.

I have a simular engine on my 25" locke that is a 6:1 reduction.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Shroud should have three sets of numbers, model, type and code. If code starts with 66, it was built in 1966, 78 would be 1978 and so on. It was around 1965 that Briggs started using this serial number code. Earlier models use different method that serial code number has to be compared to list of numbers to find month and year.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well got it home, heaps of compression and looks to be in good shape.
But...fuel tank had rusty old fuel in it, sorted that out and cleaned out fuel line and carb, got plenty of clean fresh fuel running through now.

But the carb keeps flooding out, along the cylindrical part of the carb heading towards the choke, there is a small hole in the side of the carb, fuel is coming out there at an annoying drip.

Pulled carb apart again, the needle valve is a white plastic item, cleaned out jet so it was pretty free moving in and out, stayed "flood free" for 5 mins then started dripping out again. Dammit!!

Is this common for these carbs? Pulled it over about 10 times before rope broke..dammit again! Will have to take it into the shop to get the starter rope replaced.

Possibly no spark, will check when starter fixed and investigate points if need be. But need to sort carb first, too dangerous to have it runnkng and dripping fuel.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the side view if anyone can identify carb, probably what someone said it was, but looking for info to stop that leak.

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
I believe that you have a small two piece flo jet carburetor. From my experiences they like to leak.

I cannot leave my with the fuel shut offs open. I always set my choke and throttle, open the fuel shut off. Then I quickly try to get it started. When it runs I dont notice it leaking but if I stop and leave it as is it will leak.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I decided to try an electronic ignition coil in it, as I thought the spark wasn't that bright, despite changing points etc and plug.

Fitted an elec ignition coil and it fired right up!

Seems a strong and responsive motor, so I gave it an oil change etc..tried it in the garden and it has plenty of pulling power, my arms are now feeling the effect....lol

Thanks for all replies, just thought I'd give an update.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts