My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
Guys, PM or Conversation is really pretty similar to the old system. If you remember you clicked on the users site name and then the window popped up giving you the option of the PM. Here you must click on either their avatar or site name (not hover) and then select "Start Conversation" from that window. To see all of your "Conversations" with other members go to your avatar in the upper right and click on it then select "Conversations"

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Gerrard, if you aren't able to use the pull-start method, you need to go with an electric starter.

Using a drill with a 15/16" socket is a handy trick for turning over an engine without a plug in it. I don't recommend starting it that way, and especially not starting it that way routinely. That small nut is intended only to hold the pulley on, not to take the repeated torque of turning the engine against compression strokes. You'll end up driving the nut on there to the point where it will never come off. You can also ruin the nut or the pulley.

If you take a look at the electric start setup, you'll see it's a pretty beefy motor, driving a large-diameter sprocket. That's there to take the torque needed to get past a compression stroke. Think about applying all that torque against a dinky little nut and you'll see the problem.

The electric start kit threads on to the same part of the crankshaft where that nut goes, but it comes with a stop bolt which you torque up against the end of the crankshaft. That's there to avoid the kind of damage you would otherwise get by pushing all that torque through the threads.

I suggest you get a helper, or your son, to give the thing some solid pulls to get it started. Demonstrate that it runs, after all the effort you've put into it. Then find yourself an electric start kit and give that hernia a break :)
Makes a lot of sense jrd, I would hate to mess up that nut and pulley and all that wich would prolly cause me to walk away from it for who knows how long.
I regret selling my starter from that real old tractor I bought, the original "parts tractor" that I got the jug I needed from and piston to. But that so called 'starter' wasnt much for this world and would have taken much to get it right.
Got any idea of what a good used starter and stuff that goes with it might cost?

Oh yea, I kinda got 2 discussions going , this one was when I gave the other POS I bought a month or so ago a pull just to see what it would do and the one that is entitled "OOOuucchh that hurts" is what happened yesterday when I tried to start the L model that Ive been on for this will be 3 summers now that I got for my son. Thats the one I gotta get goin ASAP so he can use it this summer.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Mark,
I think I have a recollection of an old occurrence that went something like this... Didn't your machine #2 come with an electric starter when you bought it? This sticks out in my mind because I believe that I 'scolded' you because you took it off and gave it away. That starter would be handy to have right now!
Just saw this trying to go up and down the page, I can hardly find the blue bar since this new stuff started but thats prolly just me.
Anyhow you are EXACTLY RIGHT and I just replied that to jrd one moment ago. But that starter was in awfull shape and possibly homemade. But looks like Im gonna have to break down and get one.
I recon pull starting something when your'e 20 is a bit diff then when your'e 60 lol!
But the ones I used ran almost constantly and wasnt out of time, and I knew this was gonna happen because how could it not? I had to change out head and piston, valves were totally removed towers and all and put new gaskets on them, new cylinder to block gasket I ordered, carb off and back on after rebuild and I forget what else.
I guess if being out of time is all that happens I'll be lucky since Im a new mechanic on these.
Later Friend and keep the conversation coming
M

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Mark,
I think that idea is a keeper! I never even considered such a thing but, now after thinking about this, I remember seeing such a setup on old motorcycles - not only does it look good, it serves a purpose!!! I have some old leather in my toolbox and I may just 'copycat' your idea.

Speaking about your girl Holley, I have been wondering if she has settled down. Gravelee is proving to be the best and sweetest companion for me. That girl loves swimming in our creek.

Do you have a young neighbor that can give you a hand cranking your machine as you CERTAINLY do not want to hurt yourself pull starting this Gravely? You win both the award for the 'best intentions' and also the penalty for 'not-the-best execution' ;)so please play it safely with this. I know if I was within your locale, I would be there in a heartbeat to help you!
OMG Im just finding these post! But yes Fireant the same type thing that used to be on a lot of the fuel tanks on the old Harley's and feel free to go w/it. I was gonna surprise everyone with a pic when I was done but I let the cat out of the bag when you mentioned it lol!
But my neighborhood is turning to crap and I dont want any of them inside my fence. Its a college town and all houses are cut up into apts. and they move in and out with the wind and I hardly get to know any of them. Like the old cliche goes " 6' stockade fence makes for good neighbors" and thats what I have surrounding my property. I'll get my son over here to do the dummy work lol.
But Holley is still in puppy mode @ 2 yrs. old and I'll just have to put up with it untill she's done with it as she has more energy than a Jack Russell Terrier on speed lol!
Heres a pic or two of my outside shop I took for someone just today. Later Buddy
Well better get them on laptop first

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
OMG Im just finding these post! But yes Fireant the same type thing that used to be on a lot of the fuel tanks on the old Harley's and feel free to go w/it. I was gonna surprise everyone with a pic when I was done but I let the cat out of the bag when you mentioned it lol!
But my neighborhood is turning to crap and I dont want any of them inside my fence. Its a college town and all houses are cut up into apts. and they move in and out with the wind and I hardly get to know any of them. Like the old cliche goes " 6' stockade fence makes for good neighbors" and thats what I have surrounding my property. I'll get my son over here to do the dummy work lol.
But Holley is still in puppy mode @ 2 yrs. old and I'll just have to put up with it untill she's done with it as she has more energy than a Jack Russell Terrier on speed lol!
Heres a pic or two of my outside shop I took for someone just today. Later Buddy
Well better get them on laptop first
Here we go ( God this is confusing...)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts

·
Daryl G
886 Posts
Gerrard,
I think that you will find the starters prohibitively expensive. Three of my machines have an electric starters and I used one of them 'one' time to show my wife just when I bought the machine. I am no young pup either - 56 years old and I hand crank them every time I use them (yes, my day is coming when I can longer hand crank these Gravelys!). I know that you have the hernia issue that will not allow you to do this BUT I think that you will, if only for a minute, reconsider buying a starter once you see how expensive a working unit is!

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Gerrard,
I think that you will find the starters prohibitively expensive. Three of my machines have an electric starters and I used one of them 'one' time to show my wife just when I bought the machine. I am no young pup either - 56 years old and I hand crank them every time I use them (yes, my day is coming when I can longer hand crank these Gravelys!). I know that you have the hernia issue that will not allow you to do this BUT I think that you will, if only for a minute, reconsider buying a starter once you see how expensive a working unit is!
56! OMG I thought you were in your'e 30's! I just turned 60 on 3-15 and my son turned 36 on 3-9. Man wer'e heading for the pasture fast lol!
In all seriousness with the virus crap going on my funds are very questionable. Because of me falling apart anymore I took a " homemade early retirement" i.e. voluntary part-time @ 3 days a week so I could be home more because I work beside of 20-something kids and when I was their age I would dare any of them to just keep-up w/me but now its different for sure. I never thought this stuff would happen to me but there are reasons it did and I cant blame anyone but myself for it.
But I was thinking if nothing else I can get my sulky looking like new and put new tires & wheels on it and possibly trade it for a starter? Could that be a possibility ya think?

41 - 48 of 48 Posts