My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
I always set it with the choke open and the most wire showing. The factory set the cable holder in the proper location to allow for that. It should make no difference how long the cable is if adjusted correctly. Was getting ready to send this last night when the internet went done and here it still sits.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That is a MASSIVE understatement! I do NOT like this new convoluted format. I have attempted to send you a private message but how this is done now is a mystery... or if it is even possible. Although I have intentions of posting more frequently, I do not because of the new format... it is a mess!

I need to get a new choke cable for my 73 as it is froze up hard.
I saw a real nice cable & knob and all at TSC, I was about to go get it just a half-hour ago but got mine working. Only thing is it was $24+change.
But Im real confused on this thing anymore and dont bother to ask about it because that just causes another question/delima kinda like "OK so how do I do that?" so all I would be doing is embarassing myself more lol.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Heck I just noticed in the first pic that it's not even mounted. It's hard to tell because in its infinite wisdom, your camera decided that what you really wanted to focus on was the crankcase in the background so it's a little blurry. Maybe I'll make a quick video to show you what to do when I'm at the shop today. I'm going to be updating my thread on my 67 build soon so when I'm getting the footage for that I'll take a quick minute to give you a rundown.
Thanks Evsnova74, you make great vids. I just got in and thing I got mine fixed but man it was a ringer. I cut the conduit or cable jacket with a Dremel and a cutting wheel and tightened up some screws that I didnt even know was supposed to be tightened and a place where you tuck the cable in.
Then I started on the throttle cable and that was a NIGHTMARE, it didnt fit and I had to reem-out a hole in it ( actually make elongated ) and my H-bars to w/a step bit. Most of my probs are with the stuff I buy that dont fit like this and the head bolts.
Well it got dark and raining so I came in but here is a few pics of what I mean.
Thanks Man

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks Evsnova74, you make great vids. I just got in and thing I got mine fixed but man it was a ringer. I cut the conduit or cable jacket with a Dremel and a cutting wheel and tightened up some screws that I didnt even know was supposed to be tightened and a place where you tuck the cable in.
Then I started on the throttle cable and that was a NIGHTMARE, it didnt fit and I had to reem-out a hole in it ( actually make elongated ) and my H-bars to w/a step bit. Most of my probs are with the stuff I buy that dont fit like this and the head bolts.
Well it got dark and raining so I came in but here is a few pics of what I mean.
Thanks Man
Crap, Forgot to post pics B4 I hit "post reply" lol.
Thanks Man

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I always set it with the choke open and the most wire showing. The factory set the cable holder in the proper location to allow for that. It should make no difference how long the cable is if adjusted correctly. Was getting ready to send this last night when the internet went done and here it still sits.
Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks Man
OMG I am so screwed-up with trying to read this stuff! This entire page is my same reply one after the other after the other on and on and on...Oh Im sure its something Im doing or not doing but it didnt used to happen.
This is more difficult than the Gravely's Im working on lol!
I guess I could find the time and money to take a computer class...do they still have them ? lol...

·
Daryl G
885 Posts
OMG I am so screwed-up with trying to read this stuff! This entire page is my same reply one after the other after the other on and on and on...Oh Im sure its something Im doing or not doing but it didnt used to happen.
This is more difficult than the Gravely's Im working on lol!
I guess I could find the time and money to take a computer class...do they still have them ? lol...
G-man,
It is not entirely you... this new format is... well, it aint't good! I find it much harder to use and navigate and in today's society of ultra-convenience, people are not going to use it as much - I know that is true for me and I have a lot of patience. I would be willing to bet that the amount of posting activity has notably decreased since this new format was adopted.

Now, for the Gravely content: It was time to cut the grass (mostly onion grass) for the first time of the season yesterday. I fired up the 74 C8 after it was hibernating for the last five months - something must be wrong with it as it took three pulls to get it going;)!!!

Your machine sure looks clean - almost to clean to use! I know you already are aware but be really, really careful when adding fuel as spillage will weak havoc to that paint. I used a hardener when I sprayed my and that stuff really increases the durability of the paint.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
G-man,
It is not entirely you... this new format is... well, it aint't good! I find it much harder to use and navigate and in today's society of ultra-convenience, people are not going to use it as much - I know that is true for me and I have a lot of patience. I would be willing to bet that the amount of posting activity has notably decreased since this new format was adopted.

Now, for the Gravely content: It was time to cut the grass (mostly onion grass) for the first time of the season yesterday. I fired up the 74 C8 after it was hibernating for the last five months - something must be wrong with it as it took three pulls to get it going;)!!!

Your machine sure looks clean - almost to clean to use! I know you already are aware but be really, really careful when adding fuel as spillage will weak havoc to that paint. I used a hardener when I sprayed my and that stuff really increases the durability of the paint.
Hey ! I dont know when you posted this but I just now saw it ( I cant do squat on this thing ) because I was gonna P.M. someone about a gun sling and was looking for where someone told you how to do it the other day and came across this!
Anyhow I have been thinking about the gas on the tank as most of them Ive seen has a messed-up tank where it gets filled, but I plan on cutting a hole for filler ( 2" ) in a nice piece of leather approx 8" wide and putting it on the tank. I wasnt gonna say anything but was gonna show it after I did it but it will work and look cool both, or at least I think so.
I was out there today and was actually gonna try to start it but my plug is in here and I didnt wanna go back in and have my dog ( Holley ) the mental case follow me in to the front of the house where she's not allowed to go and where I bring some of my tools in for the winter because she's so high-strung we have to keep her and the cat seperate and bla bla bla but I have a hernia soooo bad Im actually scared but dont wanna go to hospital with all the virus stuff goin on but may have to soon so I gotta get a 1/2 drill cause all mine are little 3/8 jobs and tried them to no avail.
I cleaned out plug hole threads and put my thumb over it and turned it w/a wrench and it almost sucked my thumb down in there .
Well I know Im a babbler but Im gonna get back to trying to find the P.M. instructions you got the other day because I have tried and I thought it was just me because I didnt grow-up w/computers but I cant stand this format and prolly will never really figure it out plus unless Im nuts I'd swear the old post are on the bottom or some stuff and see the same post many times on the same page. I dont know how to quote someone and dont see any need for it anyway but it seems like thats whats goin on.
Well later Buddy...G

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
S
Yes indeed! Very challenging......

Gerrand,

You must be very close to that first pull. When do you think it will be?

RB in RI
Sorry but Im just finding these post, as I was telling Fireant I have to get a 1/2 drill I guess because I have a bad hernia but dont wanna get it taken care of while all this virus stuff is going on but may not have a choice soon. But the other day I gave my other tractor a pull just to see what it would do and about popped a cork right there not to mention I couldnt come close to pulling one hard enough to get it started.
Man this is all I need and it could ruin my entire summer. They use that Dang "mesh" to repair them now and two other guys at work who had theirs so-called " fixed" have to go back due to complications. Almost everyone at work has one.
I wish they would just do it like they used to, stuff it back in and sew it back, I had one in the same place as a child and it lasted for 50+ yrs.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

Gerrand,

RB in RI
Here we go again.....SEE REPLY BELOW. What in Gods name is going on here!?
God I hate this

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

Gerrand,

RB in RI
# 3 reply and same reply/post. Man if anyone wants to speak to me P.M. me and I'll give you my e-mail adress...this is crazy. To anyone else I'll get back w/everyone when I get one running. Sheesh......

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
I have to get a 1/2 drill I guess because I have a bad hernia
But the other day I gave my other tractor a pull just to see what it would do and about popped a cork right there not to mention I couldnt come close to pulling one hard enough to get it started.
Gerrard, if you aren't able to use the pull-start method, you need to go with an electric starter.

Using a drill with a 15/16" socket is a handy trick for turning over an engine without a plug in it. I don't recommend starting it that way, and especially not starting it that way routinely. That small nut is intended only to hold the pulley on, not to take the repeated torque of turning the engine against compression strokes. You'll end up driving the nut on there to the point where it will never come off. You can also ruin the nut or the pulley.

If you take a look at the electric start setup, you'll see it's a pretty beefy motor, driving a large-diameter sprocket. That's there to take the torque needed to get past a compression stroke. Think about applying all that torque against a dinky little nut and you'll see the problem.

The electric start kit threads on to the same part of the crankshaft where that nut goes, but it comes with a stop bolt which you torque up against the end of the crankshaft. That's there to avoid the kind of damage you would otherwise get by pushing all that torque through the threads.

I suggest you get a helper, or your son, to give the thing some solid pulls to get it started. Demonstrate that it runs, after all the effort you've put into it. Then find yourself an electric start kit and give that hernia a break :)

·
Daryl G
885 Posts
...Anyhow I have been thinking about the gas on the tank as most of them Ive seen has a messed-up tank where it gets filled, but I plan on cutting a hole for filler ( 2" ) in a nice piece of leather approx 8" wide and putting it on the tank. I wasnt gonna say anything but was gonna show it after I did it but it will work and look cool both, or at least I think so...
Mark,
I think that idea is a keeper! I never even considered such a thing but, now after thinking about this, I remember seeing such a setup on old motorcycles - not only does it look good, it serves a purpose!!! I have some old leather in my toolbox and I may just 'copycat' your idea.

Speaking about your girl Holley, I have been wondering if she has settled down. Gravelee is proving to be the best and sweetest companion for me. That girl loves swimming in our creek.

Do you have a young neighbor that can give you a hand cranking your machine as you CERTAINLY do not want to hurt yourself pull starting this Gravely? You win both the award for the 'best intentions' and also the penalty for 'not-the-best execution' ;)so please play it safely with this. I know if I was within your locale, I would be there in a heartbeat to help you!

·
Daryl G
885 Posts
Mark,
I think I have a recollection of an old occurrence that went something like this... Didn't your machine #2 come with an electric starter when you bought it? This sticks out in my mind because I believe that I 'scolded' you because you took it off and gave it away. That starter would be handy to have right now!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts