My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man this thing has more problems than I do it looks like, and its because Im always in a big break-neck hurry but I was on my way to work in my defense.
I was wanting my next one to be running or at least ' running with a few minor adjustments' but not quite one that has had the bottom half changed out on it and looks like it isnt re-attached real good either.
Like I said I dont mind doin sum minor stuff like a good tune-up as in new plug, wire, oil filter w/new oil, clean/adj carb, same to magneto and so on but not one to take up another whole summer again.
But parts tractors are pretty handy for sure. So Im gonna have to find a running one or close to running,
So here's some more pics so everyone can see what the right side looks like because there should be a lever or two around there Ive heard.

That gear of an affair that goes on the spline shaft on PTO musta fell off when I was moving it, and its full of water, in the oil and when I pumped air in a tire a bunch of water came flying out of the valve lol! I just think it needs more work than Im willing and able to do real fast because I dont hav a lot of time. I need to get an old L model that runs so I can at least use it a little. Id like to hear one of mine at least running B4 I leave this world.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
Honestly Gerrard, that machine looks pretty good to me.

You need to slide the pinion shaft back in, but that's not a big deal, just gently slide it in, and work it back and forth a little bit to get it to reengage with the hi/lo planetary, and you're all set. That kind of thing happens all the time.

You definitely need to change the oil. It sounds like you need to change tubes, from what I can see the tires are ok.

I can't tell what you mean by the bottom half changed out. You mean somebody swapped out the original two-speed axle for a single-speed? That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it, it just doesn't have low range. Lots are like that. I can't tell what you mean by something not being attached; everything in your pix looks fine.

Did you try turning it over to see if the mag is working? I'd give it a try, and if it works, try putting some fuel in it and see if you can get its attention.

That doesn't look like a parts machine, to me. I see a runner that's close to ready to go.

·
Gravely1964
3,889 Posts
I'll agree with jrd. So far all you need is a trunion block. and 5 minutes of work and will be running. I see nothing major wrong! You would think my stuff is catastrophe compared to that!

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll reply to both of you...thanks in the first place and what I meant about bottom half is according to a few ppl and I agree as well is that two speed tranny has been changed but there is bolts that are sticking out like 2" or more, dont know if they didnt have any short bolts or what ( but I have some) and I guess I'll see if everything is tight like what I will call the "hub behind the wheels that go into tractor" I dont know why but they just look loose to me but will check them. Im goin out there in a few and work on both of them. Gotta get my choke and gas throttle on the one Ive been working on for 2 yrs to give to my son because he has to get it this spring.
Oh Yea, the one I just got does turn over and mag snaps pretty loud, I put a 15/16 socket to the nut on bottom pulley and it at least does that much.
Thanks again. Im taking this lap top out there w/me.

·
Daryl G
875 Posts
Gerrard,
I, too, agree with what jrd and gravely1964 said BUT I have one small piece of friendly advice that I would like to share with you... the next time you see a Gravely for sale and you ask about the running status and the owner alludes to it functioning, please do this: regardless of how busy you are at that very moment, wait long enough to hear/see the machine run - if you cannot spare those few minutes, please walk away. This is machine number three that you have purchased and you have not yet had the opportunity to run any of these at all!;) This has to be both costly and frustrating for you!

Now, for something a little funny: I became interested in Gravelys because I needed a rugged and capable machine to keep 1/4 of a mile of BEAUTIFUL creek frontage clear which has worked out better than I expected. Remember I told you earlier that we are moving from Alabama to Upper Michigan later this year. Ok, now for the rest of the story: recently, I mentioned to my wife that I am planning on leaving one of my Gravelys here in the shed for the new owners... you know, so the new owners of this wonderful 36 acres will have the proper equipment to maintain the land. Well, when I said this, she frowned at me and said that all four machines need to go up north with us!

Back to the original topic, I am with the others as this machine will not require much to get it going. Have fun!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,069 Posts
...course, it's probably because she knows you'll just buy another one or two when you get there...

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
After the last move nothing will get left behind. You just run around for years trying to find it anyways. So might as well take it with you.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gerrard,
I, too, agree with what jrd and gravely1964 said BUT I have one small piece of friendly advice that I would like to share with you... the next time you see a Gravely for sale and you ask about the running status and the owner alludes to it functioning, please do this: regardless of how busy you are at that very moment, wait long enough to hear/see the machine run - if you cannot spare those few minutes, please walk away. This is machine number three that you have purchased and you have not yet had the opportunity to run any of these at all!;) This has to be both costly and frustrating for you!

Now, for something a little funny: I became interested in Gravelys because I needed a rugged and capable machine to keep 1/4 of a mile of BEAUTIFUL creek frontage clear which has worked out better than I expected. Remember I told you earlier that we are moving from Alabama to Upper Michigan later this year. Ok, now for the rest of the story: recently, I mentioned to my wife that I am planning on leaving one of my Gravelys here in the shed for the new owners... you know, so the new owners of this wonderful 36 acres will have the proper equipment to maintain the land. Well, when I said this, she frowned at me and said that all four machines need to go up north with us!

Back to the original topic, I am with the others as this machine will not require much to get it going. Have fun!!!!
Gerrard,

I hope one day you dont regret turning loose of 36 acres of good warm southern land for any amount of land in Michiganistan lol!
But I already took your advice on never buying in a hurry like that ever again. And it has more probs than Im ready to deal with because Im not spending all summer with this leaking water/oil , wont start "hobby machine" that I have been with already going on 3 yrs. now. Nothing wrong with a Hobby Machine but I cant deal w/it this summer because I have much much MUCH more to do.
It sounds like you think I toil over that other tractor Ive been working on for my son and have somewhat because if I gave him one that didnt look good he would say "thanks Dad" and stick it somewhere to never be seen again, he's a great young man (36 as of 3-9) but thats one of my pet peevies w/him but we all have our probs lol.
But it was my mistake buying it the way I did and did not want another "fixer upper" . I'll just have to be more carefull and find another one because none of you respectfully know all the stuff I have to do and with failing health.
Im putting off a hernia operation for as long as possible but am starting to walk with a "lean to the right" if you know what I mean.
But anyhow I gotta get the other one running ASAP no matter what but as I said I take 100% of the blame but that one wasnt what I was looking for.
Be back soon and thanks for all the help guys.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont know whats going on anymore because today I spent an hr. just trying to install a new choke wire/pull switch and just cant get it to work. I did it just exactly as it was hooked up to the one I just got taking into consideration it has a dang rear facing carb on it ( didnt even notice that while buying, thats pretty bad) but as I work the button I'll call it the choke doesnt move but normally it moves freely. I just cant get the wire right I guess.
I took sum pics.

Well nevermind, they didnt transfer like it said it did. Will try back in a few.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK I think I got em. A thing popped-up and said my settings were out of date and this thing has been acting crazy.
Anyhow the pics show mine and the other one or it should.
Three of them are of mine but had to find one of the other carb w/choke attached.
Any ideas what the heck could be wrong?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
You've got the jacket of the choke cable jammed up against the choke lever. This gives no room for the inside part of the cable to move.

Look at your pic number 4: When you operate the choke control, the jacket stays fixed, and the inner wire part moves, closing or opening the choke valve. Try operating the choke lever on the machine in your number 4 pic, and watch what happens at the carb end.

You need to either trim the jacket, or straighten out the wire coming out of it, or both. Then mount the jacket, and connect the wire to the choke valve, so that the wire has enough travel to control the valve.

·
Daryl G
875 Posts
Mark,
I would be 'chomping at the bit' with this machine - you are right there at finally firing it up after having it for almost four years! I would not have the patience to fiddle with getting everything set up perfectly; instead, I would leave the choke cable alone (as you can still work it manually at the carburetor) and try to fire this machine up. The choke and other little things can be corrected next (you will undoubtedly see that several more things that will require attention after the machine is running... at least that was my experience). My sleep would be disrupted knowing that I was this close!!!

Please take a video when the machine first comes to life - this will be a great documentary show for mytractorforum as many of us have been following your adventures (and, unfortunately, misadventures) with this project. This is about to get exciting - I hope!!!

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mark,
I would be 'chomping at the bit' with this machine - you are right there at finally firing it up after having it for almost four years! I would not have the patience to fiddle with getting everything set up perfectly; instead, I would leave the choke cable alone (as you can still work it manually at the carburetor) and try to fire this machine up. The choke and other little things can be corrected next (you will undoubtedly see that several more things that will require attention after the machine is running... at least that was my experience). My sleep would be disrupted knowing that I was this close!!!

Please take a video when the machine first comes to life - this will be a great documentary show for mytractorforum as many of us have been following your adventures (and, unfortunately, misadventures) with this project. This is about to get exciting - I hope!!!
Mark,

Sorry I didnt mean to run the full quote on your'e reply, just a waste of space. Anyhow things have just changed in my life since last summer and Im at the point that it'll run when it runs. With this hernia I hate to get fixed because of the way they do it now they make things worse and I doubt I can even pull the strap good enuf to start it. My little 3/8 drill wont work on the pulley and may have to get a 1/2 one, I tried the 3/8 one and it just wont turn over hardly much less crank it up but I can get my son over here to help me. He may be here today because I turned 60 today if he doesnt have to work.
Im a bit bummed about that G&^%$#@ one I bought. I know I can do this and that to get it running but I dont want to wrap another summer in it because there was so much I didnt get to and do last summer we had.
But its my fault for getting it, buying in a hurry and trusting strangers on their word. If he wasnt an old man I would go there and beat the excrement out of him lol.
Not to mention its nice all week when I work and on weekend its cold and rainy. Im pretty much weather-driven, if its nice Im happy if it aint Im mad as heck lol.
But Im going out there today and mess with the one Ive almost got done but Im not gonna let it get to me because its minor to some of the crap I got goin on.
I'll let you know bud and of course there will be a video of it.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You've got the jacket of the choke cable jammed up against the choke lever. This gives no room for the inside part of the cable to move.

Look at your pic number 4: When you operate the choke control, the jacket stays fixed, and the inner wire part moves, closing or opening the choke valve. Try operating the choke lever on the machine in your number 4 pic, and watch what happens at the carb end.

You need to either trim the jacket, or straighten out the wire coming out of it, or both. Then mount the jacket, and connect the wire to the choke valve, so that the wire has enough travel to control the valve.

Yea I may have to re-cut that thing. Im goin out there in a few and check it out. Its a new cable & knob I got from GT's prolly and its an exact twin but it would work on anything because it musta been 6' long lol!
But I cant take to much off because the length is about right already, its the same as the stock or old one.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

OK, I think or 'it seems like' compared to that one I recently aquired I hooked the end of choke cable or the bare part hooked up kinda bassakwards, meaning ( if I can say it and make some sense getting it across) I had the bare wire affixed to choke while the knob was pulled back and wire was in the position where there was pretty much no room for it to move the choke control (at carb) so when I pulled back on the knob it had nowhere to go. I could be saying this backwards but I hope you know what I mean, kinda like it was in the extended mode when it got hooked-up so when it needed to be "extended" again it had nowhere to go.
Here's a cpl pix so you can see how close it matches the one that came off.
P.S. Old one has the conduit stuff near operating knob curved.
Top two are both ends with knob extended and wire drawn in.
Bottom two is with knob pushed in and wires out.
couldnt fit entire wires/cables on one pic due to length.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Reply to what? I still dont get this new forum. This page is a mess....

·
Registered
388 Posts
Cut the conduit just after the part where it mounts. It doesn't serve any purpose after that, there's not enough resistance on the cable part to need it for strength or anything. Just take it where it is on the pics where it's installed on the tractor and mark it with a sharpie just after the mount, then cut it there but don't do anything to the actual cable. Then reinstall it and tighten the cable down in the same spot and adjust it from there. Don't get caught up on how the old one was, you're on the right track.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Heck I just noticed in the first pic that it's not even mounted. It's hard to tell because in its infinite wisdom, your camera decided that what you really wanted to focus on was the crankcase in the background so it's a little blurry. Maybe I'll make a quick video to show you what to do when I'm at the shop today. I'm going to be updating my thread on my 67 build soon so when I'm getting the footage for that I'll take a quick minute to give you a rundown.

·
Daryl G
875 Posts
Reply to what? I still dont get this new forum. This page is a mess....
That is a MASSIVE understatement! I do NOT like this new convoluted format. I have attempted to send you a private message but how this is done now is a mystery... or if it is even possible. Although I have intentions of posting more frequently, I do not because of the new format... it is a mess!

I need to get a new choke cable for my 73 as it is froze up hard.

·
Premium Member
3,069 Posts
Private Messages are now called "Conversations"... Click on the square at the top-right of the page, and in the drop-down menu click "Conversations", and there, you can make a new conversation.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts