My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
22,343 Posts
You can put a FEL on just about any tractor. Front axle strength, rear axle strength amd base weight of the tractor will dictate what its capabilities will be. Minimum power requirements are 10 hp. Of course more horses are always better, but after 20, you can't get any more work out of them.

A solid subframe is essential to protect the tractor's frame. Some tractors need a lot of help there.

·
Registered
392 Posts
With the time, effort and money involed in egineering and fabricating you would be miles ahead to look for Bolens that allready has one on it or in the least a tractor that had a FEL as an option.
I believe the ST series is a light duty tractor, belt driven with avertical shaft engine that did not have a loader as an option.

·
Young Bolens Collector
1,474 Posts
I would not suggest putting a FEL on this tractor, you will learn that soon your steering will get worn out and you will have probelms steering. For a FEL, try to look for an Bolens large frame tractor, Duratrac tractor, or GTX, or an QT. Also you could get a tube frame. Or maybe try a 1700 Elimanator r bigger. The tractor you want to put it on was made mostly for mowing and other light duty jobs. Try to get a tractor that had an original loader option.

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
I agree, ST is suburban tractor and has light duty spindles, frame and is more of a lawn tractor not a garden tractor which would be much heavier. Hate to see you go through the effort and have it wear out on you.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hate to see you go through the effort and have it wear out on you.
Ya me too, thats why I asked, not many heavy old tractors come up for sale around here so Im on a learning curve to get a better idea which ones are worth considering. That 180 is 4 hrs from here so I wont bother going to look at it now, thx guys, appreciate the input;)

·
jbs1257
464 Posts
I have a 5020H Eliminator for sale in Pittsburgh Pa. area that has no attachments on it. Tractor has 400 some odd hours on it and runs good. Certainly heavy duty enough with the large 1 inch spindles and large wheel bearings. I dont know how far you live from here but certainly worth looking into.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 5020H Eliminator for sale in Pittsburgh Pa. area that has no attachments on it. Tractor has 400 some odd hours on it and runs good. Certainly heavy duty enough with the large 1 inch spindles and large wheel bearings. I dont know how far you live from here but certainly worth looking into.
Im in Alberta so Pa is along way to go:(

Im starting to think a GT isnt going to big enough for me, been doing some research and Im starting lean towards something like an old Ford 9N or similar.

However I did bring home a little Ford LGT 165 yesterday just because the price was right, I dont think its enough tractor for the kind of loader I want but Im sure I can find it a job around here.

Brings me to another question tho... how does the LGT tube frame compare to the Bolens tube frame I see you guys discussing here? Ive never seen one other than pics but I read alot on the Bolens forum because of my '57 Super so I know some of you really like them.

·
22,343 Posts
List some of the requirements that you have for a FEL. That will give a better idea of the size of tractor that you need.

There is a huge difference in capabilities between a MF12H and a MF 1655. There isn't much difference between a MF1655 and a MF GC2310 SCUT, and the advantage goes to the GT.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
List some of the requirements that you have for a FEL. That will give a better idea of the size of tractor that you need.

There is a huge difference in capabilities between a MF12H and a MF 1655. There isn't much difference between a MF1655 and a MF GC2310 SCUT, and the advantage goes to the GT.
Check out a thread I have goin in the round table called 'Good tractor for a FEL?', more info and progress on that one, and pics of my latest addition, although its not enough machine for the bucket I want, its kinda cute;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts